Thread: Arai Profile helmet

Hybrid View

Cheapsk8

Arai Profile helmet

A few years ago I tried an Arai helmet which was incredibly comfortable and an overall high quality item. However, I had a problem with the wind noise apparently generated by the sideplates Arai insists on using, which are unfortunately right over the ears. Since then, I've discovered better earplugs, and would like to try an Arai again. Does anyone have any experience with the new(ish) Arai model called the Profile, which they claim is quieter than their other models (by having slimmer sideplates)? Is it significantly quieter, or just a little? Does anyone know who sells Arais at a discount? I think they've eliminated mailorder. If Arai would make a truly quiet helmet, I'd pay any price. However, I'm reluctant to take a risk given my previous experience, as well as having "sensitive" hearing. Thanks.

dlearl476
    Cycle Gear sells closeout models at significant savings, but then they are the closeout models. Doubt you'd find a Profile in that bin for a year or so at least.
    I bought a Quantumf a year of so ago for 40% off.

A few years ago I tried an Arai helmet which was incredibly comfortable and an overall high quality item. However, I had a problem with the wind noise apparently generated by the sideplates Arai insists on using, which are unfortunately right over the ears.
    My last helmet was a Quantum, my current one is an Arai Corsair. I also have a Nolen and Shuberth which I seldom use. The Arai isn't necessarily the quietest but the way it slices through the windstream without buffeting, and the fit make it my favorite. My local Honda dealer didn't stock Arais but was willing to order mine at a discount. BTW, consider getting a light tinted shield. I have clear, light tint, and dark tint shields. The light tint is on most of the time.
    Rick

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 94867
    Is it significantly quieter, or just a little?
    With effective earplugs, isn't the issue of wind-generated noise from your helmet (or windscreen) eliminated?

Year-round, I wear full helix deep mold earplugs. I need them to block the excessive noise from the OEM touring windscreen I mount on my R1150R in the winter. The rest of the year when I ride naked, any noise from my helmet is nothing. It seems to me that the key to freedom of helmet choice is the earplugs; if they are effective, you can wear any helmet you wish. Or am I missing something here?

Fred

There's no value in measuring with a micrometer when you have to cut with an axe.

They go for as low as $300.00 on Ebay. I just switched from Arai's to a Caberg Solo. Look at them it is very Quiet and has a flip down sunshade.

I have the Arai profile and I love it. Although I must say its the first high end helmet i've owned. I always used HLCs before that. It is extremely comfortable. The venting is amazing. I see that in the fall however my head will probably cold, even with the vents closed because the exhaust vents work so well. I would recommenr it to anyone. All of the vernt can be worked with gloves on. It is noisey for me but on my R11S the wind hits me just about at the chin so its tough for me to blame the helmet when it could be the widnshield causing a lot of the noise. I wear earplugs though and with the plugs in the noise is fine.

BUT, a quiet helmet is not worth yesterdays news paper if it does not FIT! Go for comfort then worry about anything you want too.
    Cat Televangelist; "and Morris brought down from the sofa the 10 entitlements!"