Thread: Mirror Cables

Mirror Cables

Does anyone know where I can purchase the stainless cables that attach to the mirrors on an R1200RT?

I was riding yesterday when the left mirror flew off and hit the road. Luckily I was on a country road and was able to recover the mirror which had minor damage.

Thanks for any info.

Mirrior Cables

You can make them with steel fishing leaders, not expensive and available at any decent tackle shop.
    There was a post a while back with pictures, does anybody know where to find it?

Mirror cables

I bought mine from Bob's BMW.

Bob's BMW Safety cables

Quote Originally Posted by ltljohn
    You can make them with steel fishing leaders, not expensive and available at any decent tackle shop.
    There was a post a while back with pictures, does anybody know where to find it?
    DUH! Why didn't I think of that. Had some, problem solved. Not pretty, but as long as it works.

Thanks

I use string.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

Cool

My LT came with Zip Ties(from the dealer) holding them. Cheap and easy to cut and replace as needed.
    Benton Blalock
    '05 K12LT "Ophelia" - light yellow metalic er... gold
    '04 R12CLC "Blackie"(RIP)
    "I ride....the bike doesn't."

I plan to use coated wire cable. Before I go yanking on things, how do you remove the mirrors on a R1150RT?

Quote Originally Posted by kurt1305
    I plan to use coated wire cable. Before I go yanking on things, how do you remove the mirrors on a R1150RT?
    Support the mirror with one hand (you don't want it just flying off) and give it a good, hard, sharp thump on the lower outer corner.

I use cable ties (zip ties to the non-computer geeks).
    Robert
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250SEA
    ÔÇ£If you get in too far over your head, remember - full throttle and make it spectacular!ÔÇØ http://www.yearroundriders.com

I bought 45 pound test, coated braided stainess fishing leaders at a certain nationwide variety store, pack of six for less than $2.00. Loop through hole in rear of mirror and through slot in housing and clip together.

cable ties

I used cable ties on mine also. The left hand mirror popped off twice on the slab at 70+ and broke the ties both times. They did slow it down enough that I was able to catch it both times, but I did not want to try my luck the third time. My LT mirrors now have stainless steel cables. (The cable ties were the heavy duty type.)

1flyer
    Bass Pro has Titanium leader line. I think I got about 12 ea in one package for $3.00 complete with swivels.

I used coated #120 leader line, a crimp sleeve on one end and crimp-on ring terminal on the other.