Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin 2007: The Bratwurst Thread

JCABRANES
    Never fails... let someone from Michigan post on a thread and it brings all posting on that particular thread to a screaming halt.

Not to a screaming halt, just simmering while we had greasie hads from eating all those brats!

Ran across a variation to the traditional beer bath/sauce for poaching and holding brats.

For 10 brats:
    2-14.5 ounce cans stewed tomatoes
    2 bottles or cans beer
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 tablespoon brown sugar

Mix ingredients and bring to a simmer. Hold grilled brats in sauce until ready to eat. Do not let sauce boil.

Try dressing your brat with this sauce instead of ketchup. Add a bit of brown mustard, if you wish.

I have not tried the stewed tomatoes as part of the sauce before. The brown sugar would sweeten the sauce also. What other variations have people used?
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka
    Not to a screaming halt, just simmering while we had greasie hads from eating all those brats!

Ran across a variation to the traditional beer bath/sauce for poaching and holding brats.

For 10 brats:
    2-14.5 ounce cans stewed tomatoes
    2 bottles or cans beer
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 tablespoon brown sugar

Mix ingredients and bring to a simmer. Hold grilled brats in sauce until ready to eat. Do not let sauce boil.

Try dressing your brat with this sauce instead of ketchup. Add a bit of brown mustard, if you wish.

I have not tried the stewed tomatoes as part of the sauce before. The brown sugar would sweeten the sauce also. What other variations have people used?
    that sauce sounds good

Johnsonville Brats
    Johnsonville, WI
    Near Elkhart Lake

Most popular, but not my favorite

tuber1

Cool

Johnsonville are ok, but just ordinary grocery store type brats. it's all I can get out here so I buy em, but look for a good meat store.

ketchup.....never on a brat, the flavor takes away from the meat, same as with a good beef dog....save ketchup fpr your eggs....

Gotit allwrong

1970s brought to Boulder a touch o Wisconsin, the great state by importing "Dons Cheeze and sausage" on 18th and Pearl Street.

the braught should be served with copious quanity of kraut, on a sesame seed hoagie roll and a thin yet overpowering slice of provolne cheeze, and sepentipously dabbed and slathered with YELLOW mustard, NOT I repeat NOT goofed up with the DESIGNER mustards availble today in any yuppie super market store!

Sadly Dons is gone, but the memory and my appitite brings me the 400 miles to the east to dribble the drips of the devine Wisconsin Braut off my chin...once again!

Enough of this string, I must retreat fo fear of dribble landing on my keyboard. See you all in the great state of WISCONSIN!!

Red

Long Live the music of the Grateful Dead, and my mantra..."I dontwantapicklejuswantoridemymotorcycle, dontwantadie, juwntaridemymotorcy"-Arlo the
    Guthrie

The sausage races! We we at the Brewers game when that girl was knocked down, good fun!

For the best taste, brats go in the beer bath AFTER grilling. The brats cool and draw the flavors of the beer in.

For quickest grilling boil first.
    '05 K1200LT Gold
    MOA Member #125415

Schwai's - Available at the rally

When you are the rally and are trying to decide who has the best brats, I'd recommend sampling some of the Brats / Italians / Polish sausages at the Schwai's food trailer.

Schwai's is the local meat-market, so the sausages are "WOW" fresh.

Last summer, Chasman & Julie and Brian and I did some recon at the local county fair. We each got a different sandwich and ALL of us were in agreement. We invited them to be food vendors for us on the spot.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Director - Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Did I miss it or did someone mention Usingers?
    http://www.usinger.com/yr14.php
    03K1200RS
    Joel Callan
    Milwaukee, WI
    March - December 2006

JCABRANES
    Question. Will we have camp fires in the camping area. If so, I may bring a grill and some brats and cook em over a camp fire.

HODAG
    also on Friday and Saturday as you are out riding... expect to see (and smell) several brat fries going on in grocery store, gas station, etc.. parking lots. non-profits do them as a way to raise money.
    Stop... grab a soda and a brat, relax. I'm sure some local will talk to you...

expect to see (and smell) several brat fries going on in grocery store, gas station, etc.. parking lots.
    Some of the best food I ever ate was at gas stations on the road. One in particular that comes to mind was a delicious hamburger bought at a gas station going through Presidio, Texas. I sat and ate at a small table on the sidewalk right outside the front door. Man, it was juicy!

Now I'm looking forward to a tasty Wisconsin brat on the road somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JCabranes View Post
    Question. Will we have camp fires in the camping area. If so, I may bring a grill and some brats and cook em over a camp fire.
    Since this is a fairgrounds, they do not allow any campfires. Sorry. On the other hand, you can probably get a small grill and some charcoal at the local WalMart.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Director - Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Bratwurst Reuben Sandwich
    Sandwich Ingredients
    5 Bratwurst links
    1 pkg. hoagie or bratwurst rolls
    1 pkg. sliced Swiss cheese (6-8 slices)
    1 cup Thousand Island dressing

Sauerkraut Topping
    1-14.5 oz. can sauerkraut, drained
    3/4 cup large red onion, sliced
    1/2 cup sliced scallions, green part only
    1-2 tbsp. vegetable oil
    1/2-3/4 tsp. sugar to taste
    1/2-3/4 tsp. garlic powder to taste
    2-3 dashes favorite hot sauce
    Directions;
    Carefully cut lengthwise each bratwurst (only 2/3 the way through). Gently flatten for quick and easy cooking. Prepare bratwurst according to package directions in skillet. Note: Cook time will be shortened. Cook until no longer visibly pink. Place bratwurst to side keeping warm on low oven setting. Carefully drain excess liquid. Add vegetable oil and return skillet to medium-high heat setting. Add sliced red onion and green pepper, saut?® for 2-5 minutes until slightly tender. Add sauerkraut and gently heat together. Add seasonings and scallions and keep warm. Add cooked bratwurst, sauerkrautm Thousand Island dressing and cheese on a roll. Serves 5. Refrigerate leftovers.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

HODAG
    counted 4 brat fries today while heading to the library and then fleet farm