Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: the "Tire Nazi"

Quote Originally Posted by eddie
    Stacey,I did wonder about you guys.I was looking for the V-Stroms.Would have really like to have ran into y'all.Julie bid on and got a different job a few months before the rally and they wouldn't let her have two weeks off as planned.I rode up and back with a friend.Would have been great to see the two of you.Tell John we said hello.
    Well, we were supposed to be on the V-Stroms, but I, uh, kinda, um, wrecked mine on the first day of vacation. I was only bruised and bruised a nerve, but the bike didn't fair so well. So, we went on to Plan B and had a great time regardless.

Tell Julie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWGypsy
    Well, we were supposed to be on the V-Stroms, but I, uh, kinda, um, wrecked mine on the first day of vacation. I was only bruised and bruised a nerve, but the bike didn't fair so well. So, we went on to Plan B and had a great time regardless.

Tell Julie as well.
    Sorry about your bike but glad your OK,hope we see you guys soon.

tire nazi story...funny

A guy over by the back gate took his tires off his GS to have new ones put on. My buddy, a cynical bastard, was working the back gate. The guy put his GS on the hardstand next to the gate so it would be O.K.. People coming in saw the bike sitting there on the centerstand with no wheels...front or rear.

People asked of course... my Buddy says..." oh they refused to obey orders so we took their wheels". He had no problems....
    John Shuck BMWMOA Ironbutt #31
    Co-Founder Dir. of Operations Fairfield County Concours
    Sept at the Fairfield County Hunt Club, Westport, CT
    02 GS, R90S's, R51/3

I feel compelled to ask the following question, which is not meant to be insulting to anyone.

Why would anyone plan to get tires at the rally, where 1000's of other people w/ similar interests and needs are concentrated in a small area? It's reasonable to expect any on-site service providers to be swamped at such an event, and therefore in my mind this is NOT the place to have any service performed.

It's like complaining that the beer vendor at the baseball game didn't take the time to listen to your problems.
    Paul Beck (#122799)
    Long Beach, CA

2006 R 1200 GS
    2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910S

Visit My Web Site or My Roaadtrip Web Log

Quote Originally Posted by pbbeck
    I feel compelled to ask the following question, which is not meant to be insulting to anyone.

Why would anyone plan to get tires at the rally, where 1000's of other people w/ similar interests and needs are concentrated in a small area? It's reasonable to expect any on-site service providers to be swamped at such an event, and therefore in my mind this is NOT the place to have any service performed.

It's like complaining that the beer vendor at the baseball game didn't take the time to listen to your problems.

Exactly what I was thinking. I can, however, understand someone who travelled a long distance underestimating when he/she might need new rubber suddenly finding them selves in a pinch, but I would never go to a rally (especially one this size) expecting some great deal on tires.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Fairs and special events - you pay dearly for the good stuff and you pay dearly through the nose for the rest.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MEWAYBRIGHT
    I didn't make the Rally this year but from the sound of it I didn't miss much as far as the rally goes... high prices, vendors lacking in customer service and more high prices... wish I could have made it for the riding though. Maybe next year....
    Actually this year was a pretty good rally. I think that what is happening is that more and more people are talking about the rally at the Forum. There is always something to change and improve on.

Think about it, if you get 9,000 people in one place for a few days, do you think everyone is going to be happy about everything?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

I planed to get tires if I thought mine wouldn't get me all the way home safely.I didn't think they would,better to spend $380 for tires than suffer the phyisical and dollar cost of a crash.I also had my oil changed and bought new boots to replace my leaking ones.Got a total of 8300 miles out of my last two sets of tires,thats combined not each.Just part of ridding the model I ride,replaceing tires often.

Quote Originally Posted by pbbeck

For the person that I know (BeemoKat) that needed tires, he woke up Friday morning with a flat. Not a totally planned event. I think he was considering tires at the rally anyhow, but a flat doesn't give you a lot of options, unless you want to try and remove the tire yourself and patch the tube at the rally. I'm pretty good with a wrench, but I don't do my own tire work. Trying to get a tough-sidewall no-tube-required tire off a rim with short tire irons is not a lot of fun.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo
    Exactly what I was thinking. I can, however, understand someone who travelled a long distance underestimating when he/she might need new rubber suddenly finding them selves in a pinch, but I would never go to a rally (especially one this size) expecting some great deal on tires.
    I try to plan my bike maintenance so that nothing needs to be done throughout the whole trip. I took off half worn tires (M1) and put on new so we wouldn't have to think about tires and could enjoy the ride.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I would like to thank the Mac-Pac club members who assisted me in my hour of travail at the hands of the Tire Nazi, at the recent MOA Rally.
    Not only was a day and a half of my rally participation compromised by the Tire Nazi's incredibly inept service delivery, but it was doubtful for a while if I'd have been able to ride my biker home.

I am a re-entry rider after many years away from
    motorcycling and took most of the Tire Nazi's utter bullshi* as
    gospel. In essence, this personification of a cartoon character let
    passersby dismount tires from other patron's motorcycles waiting in line for service, allowing him to throw tires on rims for line-cutters who arrived with wheels under their arms. It was one of these well-intentioned
    "volunteers" who split the calipers on the front on my K75 and consequently
    drained the brake fluid.

The Tire Nazi explained to me that this was my faulty for driving a
    bike with defective brakes, most probably a bad seal. He ranted and
    raved about the necessity for finding a caliper rebuild kit (closest
    one was in New Hampshire) or a replacement caliper assembly (closest
    one in New York). The Tire Nazi made a point of emphasizing his potential liability for installing tires on an unsafe motorcycle. He neglected to mention his culpability in letting anyone try their luck at changing tires under his aegis.

Three hours were spent searching vendors at the rally, and on cell
    phones trying to locate parts.Much of this search was conducted by
    friends of mine, who were able to trot across the fairgrounds and
    stand in various lines for 45 minutes while waiting for advice.
    It was Brian Curry of the Mac-Pac who reassembled my brakes, under a running apology from the Tire Nazi (which did not include any substantive offer of assistance).

Mr. Curry explained to the Tire Nazi gentleman that the brake seals were probably still good if the "volunteer" help hadn't ripped them out removing the wheel. Suddenly, the Tire Nazi understood what Mr. Curry was saying, and just as suddenly, my machine seemed unlikely to need a caliper re-build kit or a new caliper.

The Tire Nazi acknowledged this by saying, "My ass is sure out in the wind on this one." At this point, my bike had been tied up for 8 solid hours.

For the record, my appointment with the tire Nazi was for 7:30am on
    Friday morning, July 21, 2006. I was on time. My tire was mounted on
    the wheel (which had been removed at 1pm) at 6:30pm 11 hours later. Many of the machines that were scheduled for service and promised before noon -- along with mine that morning -- were still without tires as night fell.

The Tire Nazi explained to me that he could have fixed my brakes in 10 minutes. Odd that he didn't do so. Odder still that it took two mechanics the better part of an hour to clean the brake pads and bleed the brake lines before the unit was safe to drive.

Yet the day was not without entertainment value. The Tire Nazi held
    hundreds of conversations that day: telling the fortunes of potential
    customers by looking at their tire treads, explaining in great detail
    his philosophy of work excellence, and awing the crowd with stories on
    how he changed tires the day before until 1am in the morning. I got a
    nice tan by rubbing spilled brake fluid onto my skin and baking for 8
    hours. I understand that BMW brake fluid will make a nice glaze on a
    chicken too.

My suggestion to the Tire Nazi is to wear a uniform appropriate to his
    performance philosophy and work ethic. This doesn't have to be
    anything fancy. A big red plastic nose and floppy shoes ought to do
    the trick. He also ought to post a sign saying, "Please be advised that scheduled times really mean nothing here, and that some work may be performed by amateurs."

I'm sure that if further investigation is required, it would not be difficult to find the folks who stood in mute frustration and witnessed this operation on July 21, 2006.

JPRiepe
    West Chester

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar

I remember you, JP,

you had a much rougher go of things than I did. Live and learn, next season I'll go to G&P Cycles for tires, buy a better sleeping bag, not go to the concerts without my toothbrush in my pocket, remember where I packed my towel, buy some gore-tex boots, and of course, make some NEW mistakes to learn from.
    And have yet another fabulous time!
    Last edited by BeemoKat; 08-04-2006 at 03:34 PM. Reason: add a line
    Wherever you go, there you are.

A Day And A Half Of Tire Misery

I didn't plan on getting new tires at the Vermont Rally. I also didn't plan on taking a 3800 mile trip before the rally either. While there, somebody got a gander at my front tire and said, "Lucky for you you can get a tire here."

In the future, I'll replace both tires if there is the slightest doubt in my mind that either could wear out on a rally ride. This was my first MOA Rally and it was just sensational. I had a great time. I met great people. I had terrific rides. And I learned a good lesson about getting tires at a rally.

I also had a good deal of sympathy for the tire Nazi.

1) He should have had another guy with him doing nothing but changing and balancing dismounted wheels.
    2) You should be issued a number and a time when you drop your bike off. (And getting the machine back 2 hours late is still reasonably acceptable to me, under the citcumstances.)
    3) Charge a premium for jobs that are accepted after 1pm for delivery the same day.

But his current method of of operation leaves a lot to be desired, and will only increase his potential liability, to say nothing of ill will.

JPRiepe

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPRiepe
    snip
    It was Brian Curry of the Mac-Pac who reassembled my brakes, under a running apology from the Tire Nazi (which did not include any substantive offer of assistance).

Mr. Curry explained to the Tire Nazi gentleman that the brake seals were probably still good if the "volunteer" help hadn't ripped them out
    snip
    Good for you that he came by. I have noticed over the years, he has helped many folks with their BMWs.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack
    Good for you that he came by. I have noticed over the years, he has helped many folks with their BMWs.

I ride with the Mac-Pac boys had put out an all points bulletin to find Brian Curry. Naturally, he was up to his elbows working on the wiring of another guy's bike -- but wasn't too busy to let everything go to prevent a minor disaster from becoming an unnecessary catastrophe. A number of guys assisted him in getting this sorted out as well.

Jack Riepe
    West Chester