Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boots.....again

That is the sole on my Sidi Thunder Sympatex boot.
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT

Scott

The Infinity/Savanna is (I hear) an excellent boot. But Oxtar is, as I understand it, in the midst of a U.S. vendor change and I couldn't find a pair ANYWHERE, neither brick and motar nor online. I don't remember for sure but I think they also stop at a size 47 and I need 48 or 49.

I tried on a pair of close out Savanna's in a 47 but my foot never would have shrunk into them as much as I wanted the $100 discount!! I think I would have gone for the Infinities if I could have found them but the fact still remains that Oxtars in general seem to run wider than Sidi. It's really a bummer when you read up on boot after boot and then try to buy them and they stop short of your size. Most (not all) of the BMW line both old and new stop at size 47. I tried on some Dainnese (sp?) man they were nice boots, just what I wanted ...they stop 1 size too small. That's the primary reason for my top post about CTB's or On Roads, they both get great reviews and go to U.S. size 15.
    Stan Herman
    BMW MOA Ambassador; Life Member; Director
    IBA member; SCMA Four Corners Motorcycle Tour Finisher

Frank

Yep, it's the picture of the Thunder sole. Darn I just can't remember who, but one of the major internet sites notes with an * that the On Roads in 14 and 15s have a different sole that is the one on the Thunders.

Frank , have you had your Thunders long? How are the soles wearing?
    Stan Herman

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderer
    I believe I got the picture attached. I saw the different sole mentioned on some vendor site. Motonation was unaware of it but it definately is different.

http://www.newenough.com/product_pic...boots/sole.jpg

Credit respect is due the fine folks at New Enough.
    Thanks for the info. I have been happy with the products from New Enough, and their frank product reviews and extensive pics are great!
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt1305
    Having owned Sidi, Oxtar, and CTB's, my favorite are the Kochmann boots. I have the Assen and the Autobahn styles. Waterproof, comfortable to walk in and moderate levels of protection.

http://eclipseluggage.com/boots/autobahn.htm
    Nice link, I'd never heard of them. Thanks!
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Oxtar

I got my Oxtar boots, used, on ebay... love em. Even with a broken zipper, they kept me dry through 400 miles of rain in June!
    Steven M. Magas
    BikeLawyer@aol.com

"Protecting the rights of those who ride..."

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer
    Yep, it's the picture of the Thunder sole. Darn I just can't remember who, but one of the major internet sites notes with an * that the On Roads in 14 and 15s have a different sole that is the one on the Thunders.

Frank , have you had your Thunders long? How are the soles wearing?
    I've got about 4K miles on them since June and they show little wear. The sole material is harder than the On Roads and should wear well. The On Road is resoleable, however.
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT

Wide sizes

Greetings. Apparently, I am the only motorcyclist who is vexed with extraordinarily wide dogs (8 1/2 EEE). Is there a manufacturer who catalogues riding boots in ex-wide sizes, or should I be content with the outdoor/hunting boots I buy from Cabelas' ? Thanks.

YO, Wildwilly

Wow !!! I think it's probably easier for me with my 14's than having EEE's. Oxtar's run widder than most but you would have to try them on. Many here have had good luck with Red Wings but obviously they lack some of the features of dedicated motorcycle boots. They are available in a wide variety of sizes and some models include heavy leather and Goretex. My winter riding boots are Danners with 600 grams of Thinsulate and a double Goretex sock. They are also made of 3mm leather. (They work well for me because they come in 14 narrow.) Nice and toasty warm and dry for winter rides. Best of luck! There are some of us that just have to work a bit harder to find gear that works for us than the "average" people.

My riding buddy has a 36 inch inseam and 37 inch arms and is only 6 feet tall. The guy just has fits with riding pants and jackets. It seems we all have our own special problems.
    Stan Herman

I have used my Sidi On Roads for a few years, many miles, and some tough rain, like a 6 hour rain squall up the northern peninsula of Newfoundland. They have always been comfortable and dry. I would buy them again.

My only knock would be that they do not have thick ankle protection....
    Cheers............Rod
    BMWMOA# 114168 IBA# 19606
    "Road Worthy": http://www.trafford.com/Bookstore/Bo...=SKU-000167680