Thread: rear drives

Cool rear drives

I'm an old airhead guy who recently bought an 1150 GS Sport. I'm looking for information about oilhead rear drives. I'm thinking about swapping the rear drive on my 1150GS for a higher ratio drive. Will a drive from say, an RT or R install onto a GS? Will the GS wheel bolt to an R or RT hub? If not, will some minor machining solve the difference?

I haven't taken anything apart, but the paralever rear end on my K bike looks a lot like the drive on my GS. Are there significant differences in the paralever drives, other than ABS sensor position and brake caliper mounting?

Who knows all this stuff?

David

GS differential interchanges

David, go to www.bmwgs.com and check their archives. The most common change out is to go with the RS or RT-P differential(same gear ratio). The lower gearing will be better off road, and the bike will be quicker at high altitudes. The Colorado BMW mechanics would probably be the most knowledgeble on the subject. JON

www.advrider.com has a pretty good GS forum as well. You might want to ask them too.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Originally posted by KBasa
    www.advrider.com has a pretty good GS forum as well. You might want to ask them too.
    I second that,ADVrider is the best sourse so far
    here are the best of the Best

final drive gear rathios

How to change them