Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Incidents?

Cpr...

Be aware, there are new guidelines out. There are a lot of changes to ratios and what-not.
    Chris
    ASHI certified trainer

madcatdad

Thumbs up First Aid Classes at rallies

I'm the education director for the central VT Red Cross....and I couldn't agree with you folks more! My volunteers and I teach over 5,000 people a year CPR, First Aid and other lifesaving skills in our Chapter.

The ability to recognize an emergency and be comfortable in providing basic lifesaving help is critical when you're the first on the scene. And since we all go home to loved ones, having that knowledge becomes even more important.

I would encourage everyone to contact your local Red Cross (you can find yours by entering your zip code at www.redcross.org) and register for a First Aid and CPR class. You can purchase a rescue pocket mask (for protecting yourself and the victim from bloodborne pathogens) at your chapter and it will cost you less than a long afternoon in the Beer Tent. And much less than a short walk through the Vendors at the national rally!.

I pitch the Red Cross classes because your class tuition will help underwrite the LOCAL disaster services that your Red Cross Chapter provides...

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains
    Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    This was related to me by the beer distribution event coordinator. As one of the beer garden co-chairs, I vouch for its veracity.
    One of their big rigs was at an intersection, stopped, and poorly set up for a right hand turn. With a Beemer right behind him in the blind area. Yep, the truck backed up and crushed the front wheel. The rider was able to jump off unhurt. From the sounds of it, it was an LT. I told the rep, " nice going, you nailed one of our most expensive models!" No question that the rig was in the wrong. Backing up in an intersection! This happened prior to Thursday, and did NOT make his day.

Jim Faucher
    and a mad mad mad mad mad mad welcome to the forum for a first time poster. I note that no laws were broken and no animals were harmed in your first post.

What took you so long???

tb , fellow beer garden cochair
    in Errol, NH on the way to Trenton
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Thanks for the info
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit7801

tb , fellow beer garden cochair
    in Errol, NH on the way to Trenton
    Enjoy your stay in lovely Errol, they have internet access in Errol?
    I hope you mean Trenton, ONT. Happy travels.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
    Enjoy your stay in lovely Errol, they have internet access in Errol?
    I hope you mean Trenton, ONT. Happy travels.
    The Errol Motel, 11 rooms, has wireless. That is good because there in no, zero, none, zip for cell phone service here. The guy at the motel desk said that if it was really important, there is a place about five miles up the road, at the top of a rise, where most folks can get a signal. Yes, it is Trenton, Ontario. I cross into Canada this AM for the Loonie Reunion.

Good to see you in the Beer Garden, and your daughter. /hijack

tb
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S

Quote Originally Posted by marlycoe
    Tom Steele...
    Did you by chance used to live in Bethesda, MD? If not, sorry to bother you.
    Phew, finally got that whole registration thing worked out.

I lived in Bethesda when I was three years old (1968), but not since then. I did live in Garrett Park until '97, though.

Blowout

Sorry to tarnish the rally safety record...My wife and I had a rear tire blowout on the way home from the rally. Monday morning on I90 just outside Erie, Pa. We ride an R1200 CLC. Rear tire blew at cruising speed and before I could control the fishtailing and come to a stop we went down. Chose to low side it and come down on the left side. No one ahead of us or behind us, thank goodness. Landed in the slow lane and someone helped move the bike to the side of the road.
    Can't say enough for the assistance we received. Bystanders making the 911 call, ems, fire and state police. Long story short, my wife came out of it with only sore muscles and I broke my left fibula (lower leg small bone). Used our BMW roadside assistance, paid all the recovery expenses. Had my son bring my trailer to haul us home. Two points to be made here: had we been on a lesser bike I believe we would not be so lucky. ATGATT- Yes, we had all the gear on and it saved our butts. Left jug is scarred from road rash, left hard case also scarred. Mirror is scuffed, tire is toast.
    Tires are bridgestone. Gonna replace both tires, need your advice on replacement tires. As I said, CLC, two up lots of the time, what brand and model tires do you think?
    Tim & Sue

Wow, glad you guys made it out (relatively) OK.

belquar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye
    Sorry to tarnish the rally safety record...My wife and I had a rear tire blowout on the way home from the rally. Monday morning on I90 just outside Erie, Pa. We ride an R1200 CLC. Rear tire blew at cruising speed and before I could control the fishtailing and come to a stop we went down. Chose to low side it and come down on the left side. No one ahead of us or behind us, thank goodness. Landed in the slow lane and someone helped move the bike to the side of the road.
    Can't say enough for the assistance we received. Bystanders making the 911 call, ems, fire and state police. Long story short, my wife came out of it with only sore muscles and I broke my left fibula (lower leg small bone). Used our BMW roadside assistance, paid all the recovery expenses. Had my son bring my trailer to haul us home. Two points to be made here: had we been on a lesser bike I believe we would not be so lucky. ATGATT- Yes, we had all the gear on and it saved our butts. Left jug is scarred from road rash, left hard case also scarred. Mirror is scuffed, tire is toast.
    Tires are bridgestone. Gonna replace both tires, need your advice on replacement tires. As I said, CLC, two up lots of the time, what brand and model tires do you think?
    Tim & Sue
    Tim I used to ride a CLC...I recommend the ME880. I have been really happy with Metzler. I had two nails in six months on my rear tire. First nail I didn't know I had. Got on the bike in the morning after work to head home. Didn't do a proper pre-ride check having just ridden to work 12 hours earlier. Tire was flat. Didn't even notice it when I walked out to the bike. Approaching the bike from the left...don't really see the tire well. Since I park it 4 ft from my office door. Anyway....got on the bike and only noticed it acting a bit spongy during turns. Pulled into the next service station....1 mile away and check the tire....flat flat flat. Rode really nicely even flat. Granted...a blowout at speed is a different story altogether. Dad and Mom went down on his R69S when I was a little tike due to a rear blowout. Same deal. Lowsided at 70mph. Walked away.

Glad you made it out with only minor injuries.

Again incase you missed amongst my babble....I strongly recommend the ME880. Great Tire.

ASM, Inc put on an Accident Scene Management seminar at the AMA/FIM International Women's Conference in Athens, GA earlier this month. If I recall correctly it was a 1-1/2 hour seminar - shortened from their two day training course. It was one of the few very best seminars I've ever attended.

I was sufficiently impressed that I intend to try to get the local Kansas City club(s) I belong to to bring the whole training session to KC for a weekend.

I have not yet researched cost, minimum attendees, etc. but will sometime in the future. It looks like a great way to spend a cold blustery weekend in the winter.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I recommend the ME880 Also.

Glad youwere not hurt worse.

Heal fast and follow the directions of the doctors....
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves
    ASM, Inc put on an Accident Scene Management seminar at the AMA/FIM International Women's Conference in Athens, GA earlier this month. If I recall correctly it was a 1-1/2 hour seminar - shortened from their two day training course. It was one of the few very best seminars I've ever attended.

I was sufficiently impressed that I intend to try to get the local Kansas City club(s) I belong to to bring the whole training session to KC for a weekend.

I have not yet researched cost, minimum attendees, etc. but will sometime in the future. It looks like a great way to spend a cold blustery weekend in the winter.
    Paul, they did one in VT, too. It was excellent. About 1 1/2 hours, and it's enough to make me want the long version, as well as a CPR/First Aid course.
    Dan

"First Responder" actions

While not a pleasant subject to discuss publicly, I am very proud of "Belquar's" response to a nasty "scene." The most important thing is that he "got involved," instead of joining the minions of "Looky Lou's."

At future major rallies (MOA,etc) it might be possible for licensed trauma nurses and paramedics to publish their cell phone numbers, ONLY in case the 911 system (local aid) wasn't responsive to our needs. Even if a medic can't get there physically rapidly, they can offer worlds of advice.......

These folks did an awesome job under the circumstances.........

Shep Brown
    Lifeflight 2 Pilot
    Mobile, AL
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

Cell phone opportunity

With the advent of almost everyone having a cell phone comes a helpful feature. Go to your contact list for entries, hit space, then ICE. this will make the first contact show as ICE, which stands for " In Case of Emergency". Otherwise it will be alphabetical and might be missed.
    Then put in the phone number of whomever you want contacted if you tragically cannot. I am also an EMT, and this fairly new developement is one that we look for at accident scenes.
    I personally have ICE and ICE TWO on my cell. My wife and I are each others ICE, and someone from my home area is #2.

Jim Faucher
    Beer Garden CoChair