Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1st time rally attendee

First-Timer's Rally Goodies

This was the first time we came up with an idea for the first-time rally goers. The Kiltmeister (AKA Ambassador Liaison Don Faichney) ordered 400 of those red mugs, and by Friday morning, they were all handed out. WOW!

Looking forward to doing it again in Wisconsin, Fer Sure.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

$20 A week is great if you have a regular paycheck, which I don't (struggling to make my business work out). I don't think there was a solution for me this year- especially since my bike gets crappy mileage (currently very low 30s, which at $3/gal works out to almost $70 for a 700-mile day in fuel alone).
    Since I had no solution this year, I'm not griping (despite sounding like I am). I accepted my fate.

But I've made a hell-or-high-water vow for next year, even if I have to charge it all (too much debt to do that this year). Hopefully by then we won't be seeing that $4/gal fuel that T. Boone Pickens is predicting.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

We're already at the 4 dollar a gallon mark in Canada! 4.11 Canadian for Regular - 4.44 Canadian for Super (Ontario). Quebec and the maritimes are even more expensive.

The irony in all of this is that I sorta appreciated the lower gas prices in the USA.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

stealthrider

1st timer

This was my first BMW MOA rally as well and it was a blast... I went alone and didn't know what to expect.. Everyone was extremely friendly and I immediately made many new friends.. Volunteering on the gate provide me with plenty of opportunity to meet & talk with other rally goers and see a large assortment of bikes...
    Hats off to the organizers and I can't wait to the next one...

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthrider
    This was my first BMW MOA rally as well and it was a blast... I went alone and didn't know what to expect.. Everyone was extremely friendly and I immediately made many new friends.. Volunteering on the gate provide me with plenty of opportunity to meet & talk with other rally goers and see a large assortment of bikes...
    Hats off to the organizers and I can't wait to the next one...
    Volunteering as a way to meet people is great advice.

At my first Rally, I basically hung out with the guy I went with, not much riding. I had no clue about volunteering, nor had I a taken time to learn about the area I was visiting. Second rally, still clueless about what a rally was all about, thought it was about visiting vendors and attending talks.

A big change happened on my third rally. I planned for it. I had to, it involved ridding across the country. I started reading and participating on the rally forum. When I got there, I met some of the forum members and for the first time had new rally friends. This year was my 4th rally (I'm averaging every other year), and I knew lots of people because I'm more active in my local, virtual and national clubs. Knowing people, meeting new ones made all the difference in how satisfied I was in the rally experience.

So if you've never been to a rally, or were new this year and found the experience to be mediocre, my advice is to get out and meet your local club members, volunteer in a role with lots of people contact, and make virtual friends too.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Quote Originally Posted by iRene
    Oh, and Jonathan, the signs you guys did on site were LOVELY.......
    THANKS, Irene! I met a considerable bevy of New England folks and am sorry I'd not gotten the opportunity to meet you.

There's always next year (or next month at the Damn Yankees Rally!)

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tessler
    THANKS, Irene! I met a considerable bevy of New England folks and am sorry I'd not gotten the opportunity to meet you.

There's always next year (or next month at the Damn Yankees Rally!)
    Hah! But I saw YOU, was coincidentally at the gate when you checked in with Drif10, and heard your name.
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

Quote Originally Posted by iRene
    Hah! But I saw YOU, was coincidentally at the gate when you checked in with Drif10, and heard your name.
    [hijack]
    oh cool. do you mean, at the front gate, when I arrived, on wednesday for the first time?
    [/hijack]

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    You will learn iRene knows everything!!!
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

ballen262
    First for me, but for now I am looking in the future of taking the time to stop more, see more, maybe a day stop by check out the vendors, then hit the road to see more.

Doing this solo does suck I have to admit, but nice to go my own pace.
    If you stopped by the beer tent and everyone had time to down a couple beers, you would have to fight off some, they all want to talk drunk.

But I met some really great people, but most of the time the greatest times I had was on the road, gas stations to see who you run into, and best of all is passing all the Harley boys on the freeways, with bugs stuck in their teeth.

For the first time, is was cool, but now I will spend the time hitting the road seeing more, and taking my time what little I can get at that being 36 and not getting any younger.

Didn't get much time at the beer tent. We were running water and ice to the gates and other volunteers. We like working with the Go-fers and have been doing it for a few years. All their work is mostly for the other volunteers. It really makes the rally for me when I help out.

Brad, I was your rabbit on the last of 17 before you got to I 90. The black 11RT, two-up.
    When life hands you lemons,
    ask for salt and Tequila!!
    Lee

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTOLee
    Brad, I was your rabbit on the last of 17 before you got to I 90. The black 11RT, two-up.
    Cool. That was fun, I forgot that roads can turn.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

First timer comment

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    "Ambassador's tent."

I never even saw that!!

My first time as well, myself and SO had a great time... totally blown away by the shear numbers when gazing out over the parking lot. As we are from Harley country this was a treat.
    Greatly enjoyed the building with the classic bikes inside spent a couple of hours in there!! Oh and the beer tent and dollar beers was a surprise as well!!!
    I know that the advertising of the existance of the Ambassador tent was poor this year but the idea for the tent was a last minute idea and was not advertised properly.
    Next year we will have more time to do a better job with advertising.
    I had no idea that the tent would go over so well and we went through 400 red mugs within the first day of the rally and we did not stop there, we continued to meet and greet new attendees to the rally.
    Now that you have been introduced to the experience of an International Rally maybe next year you will continue the experience and volunteer to help me "The Ambassador Liaison" and possibly show some of the new attendees around the rally site.

Thumbs up KUDOS to the organizers for a great rally , Thanks !

This was my first rally and I was VERY impressed with the organization and content of the event , especially vendors and the history of BMW display. It was also refreshing to me to see so many BMWs on the road, days in advance and hundreds of miles from rally event , that had come thousands of miles from all areas of the US , to quietly tour the NorthEast. The rally was truly a worthy destination and great reason to get out and ride . Thanks for making it so ...

Todd

Another NooB

I too was a first time National Rally attendee and was suitably impressed by the level of professionalism and enthusiasm shown by the organization and the volunteers from first to last. On arrival on Thursday at Registration, I was asked if this was my first National, I must have had that lost look!!!!?? When I replied that I was a NooB I was given a new guy ticket and directions to the Ambassador tent to collect a prize so, OK, off I go, thinking right! Probably going to get a rubber biscuit! But no its a poker chip good for a free beer and a little mug to drink it from Cool, I didnt use the chip, maybe Ill save it for Wisconsin, but I had a great time and met a lot of nice people and just wanted to say THANKS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe Murray
    Hyde Park, NY
    04' R1150R