Thread: selection of date/location of rally:

selection of date/location of rally:

Speaking of July, does the rally always have to be held in the hottest month of the year? If that's the case, it doesn't seem likely that it'll ever make it down to AZ, NM, or anyplace in the desert Southwest. Too bad, as a rally in the fall down there could be a real winner.

Bigbird

dugmar
    I agree. I think an Octoberfest theme would be appropriate for a German made bike club. The BMW Car Club even calls theirs Octoberfest but holds it in July. I guess because kids are on school vacation.

Funny, how many memebers are in the MOA compared to the CCA? I bet they don't break 1500 atendees next week at O'fest. What are we getting in VT? 8000? 9000? Amazing difference. I just think motorcycle owners are more passionate.

eljeffe
    We just got back from a trip through NM, AZ, UT, and CO and never really saw temps go much higher than the mid 80s. Much of that part of the world is above 5000ft and remains comfortable throughtout the day.

The problem I assume is finding an appropriate venue to support 6000+ attendees, and not the geographic location.

Mudbug

Angry

There are two hurdles to over come. One is the perception that it is hotter in southern part of the US.

For the past two years I have been to the Black Hills in July and it is as hot if not hotter than it is in Austin, TX. I checked the weather on the internet to verfy this. I also checked other cities in the far north of the US and it is the same - hot. But you are not going to convince people of this. I really believe that the real reason is that most MOA members live north of the Mason-Dixon line and it's too far to travel in the time frame of current vacations. But I doubt they will admit that. I will not attend the rally in VT because of that reason - too far and not enough time.

The second hurdle is the board of directors. They vote and approve the rally location. Look where they live and you will see that most, not all, live close to northern rally locations.

I've been riding BMW's for the past three years. I have been a MOA member for that long also. I have done a map study of rally locations and have found it interesting. I believe that the MOA should have rallies in the southeast, LA, AR, MS, AL, GA, and Alaska where it ain't hot in July, and Canada, and stay away from the "far" north of the US for many years to come until things get evened out. OR change the name to BMW MONUS ( Motorcycle Owners of Northern United States ).

The selection process has been explained. But what has been explained and what has occurred is, lets just say, different.

PS - I am aware that the 25th Anniversary rally was in Fredericksburg, TX. Fredericksburg shoud be chosen again just to keep up with Missoula, MT.

USERNAME
    didn't fredericksburg have lousy attendance?

i'd certainy like it closer, but then again, i've ridden to ohio for a saturday dinner, so it's just a matter of prioritizing for me.

even someplace like arkansas would make a lot of sense.

or vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by username
    didn't fredericksburg have lousy attendance?
    As I remember the attendance was low but it was becauce of the storm warnings that were on TV before the rally.