Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tire Balance Beads

Balance Beads

I'm glad they worked for you. You should use them in the rear tire as well.
    Last edited by azwoodman58; 07-25-2006 at 01:05 AM.

My question is, is there any independent testing information about the product? The evidence so far is anecdotal. I am not an engineer, as I have stated many times before, so I do not know if this is real or not.

There are many modifications that I am willing to experiment with on my bike. If they donÔÇÖt work they damage paint, maybe mechanicals and definitely my wallet. I can live with those. I am cautious about things that I think could put me at risk when I am on the road. This one is outside of any experience or skill that I currently have. I would like some more independent information before changing to it.

This is very interesting. If this product works as claimed it would make changing your own tires much easier by simplifying the balancing part.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

There have been several products like this through the years for car tires. I have never seen one that just used beads, that is very clever. Yes these products work for steady state balance. The frequency of the tire's vibration forces the weight to keep moving until the vibration is eliminated.We used a special ring fitted to the rim with a viscous fluid and beads to eliminate tire vibration in cars for the Silver State Classic. The rings worked for that application.It is almost impossible to balance tires for a car that will cruise at speeds in multiples of 60 mph. That would be a tire that stays in balance at 60, 120, 180 mph. Race cars pass through these speeds quickly ( Formula 1, Lemans ) or rarely see all these speeds (Nascar). The problem with the bead things is that if you change speeds rapidly they may pass through a vibration at an inopportune moment. Whether that applies to your riding, I don't know. I would like to see MCN test these. They look kind of risky for tube tires.

How do they work?
    A weight is used on a wheel to balance out and weight imbalance when a tire is mounted. How do the beads find the light spot on the wheel when centrifugal force is throwing them to the outside of the tire spread out??
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

HOw do they work?
    From the website FAQ page (down near the bottom):
    http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm

"How it Works .
    The physics of how/why the free mass inside the tire automatically knows where to go is hard to conceptualize. The best way to understand why this works is to exaggerate the problem.

Imagine there is a 5 lb weight fixed to one place on the tire. When you spin that tire to normal highway speeds, it will be so terribly out of balance that the tire would probably hop off the ground with every rotation. The axis of rotation is actually moved away from the center of the wheel toward this extra mass because itÔÇÖs pulling the whole tire with it as it spins. The free moving balancing weights inside the tire are not affected the same way by these forces. First as you get up to speed, centripetal force will make the balancing weight stick to the inside of the tire. Then the force of the unbalanced weight on the tire will move this balancing weight away from the imbalance. When enough of the mass is opposite of the imbalance, the vibration disappears and the axis that the tire is rotating on returns back to the center.

To give you another example to explain why the balancing weight moves away from the imbalance and balances the system, think about what happens when you accelerate fast in a car. Anything thatÔÇÖs loose moves to the back of the vehicle. This same force is created on an unbalanced spinning tire. The imbalance is jerking the tire sending the free mass inside away from it and the centripetal force holds it here."
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

Balance Beads

I have spoken several times via e-mail with the editor of MCN and today he e-mailed telling me they were going to check into the Dyna Beads ASAP.

Len,
    Thank you for the detail, I wasn't aware of the Dyna Beads product. We will certainly check it out right away.
    Best,
    Dave, MCN

Quote Originally Posted by azwoodman58
    I have spoken several times via e-mail with the editor of MCN and today he e-mailed telling me they were going to check into the Dyna Beads ASAP.

Len,
    Thank you for the detail, I wasn't aware of the Dyna Beads product. We will certainly check it out right away.
    Best,
    Dave, MCN
    Way to go LEN!

Grammarian no, Rider yes ISAMEMON's Avatar
    keep us posted with the results please

Balance Beads

Hi Lenny,
    Thank you for your kind words. We are extremely pleased with the
    phenomenal feedback we have been receiving from motorcyclists all over
    the US and Canada. We are getting quite a few MC dealers signing on as
    well.
    It's been interesting also. I used to receive, and observe, comments
    regarding this as something akin to "snake oil". But the physics
    principles involved with Dyna Beads' use in motorcycles is actually a
    better application than the originally intended target of large
    commercial trucks. (our primary product)
    I have no doubt that once other motorcyclists see how well this works, spoke weights and rim weights will become a thing of the past. And not
    to mention the increase in tire mileage the user will gain, which will
    be roughly 30% - 50%.

BTW, I did speak with Dave Searl tonight, the Editor.

Thank you again for your support,
    Robert

Dave Searl is the MCN Editor

CustomSarge

Thumbs up Cute Idea...

I'd think the physics would be similar to the latex goo "Slime" as a balancer. An upside to Slime is as a small puncture sealer, if you have enough in to coat the whole insides. A downside is the mess when you take tires off.

I've been using it for 4+ years: can't tell if it helped, know it didn't hurt. YMMV <<<)))

P.S. if 2 oz of beads offset 8+ oz of weights, I'd count the cards in the deck...

Quote Originally Posted by CustomSarge
    I'd think the physics would be similar to the latex
    P.S. if 2 oz of beads offset 8+ oz of weights, I'd count the cards in the deck...
    Clarification:
    My post is somewhat confusing. I had 8 weights of .25 oz each for a total of 2 ounces NOT 8 ounces of weights.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

Cliffy we always thought you where a little off balance, but knew you couldn't that far out of balance.

Thumbs down I Call B.s. !!

In post #1 and #2 azwodman58 says I tried this great product and I'm not a scammer and "I'm just a fellow rider" who found this great product and I was persecuted on another site and I'm not a vendor trying to sell something. Now in post #24 azwoodman58 says WE are happy with the feedback WE have been getting and WE are signing up a lot of motorcycle dealers and WE have talked with MCN. If azwoodman58 is "just a fellow rider" why is he taking with Dave Searl about a product review?????? Why isn't Dave talking to the company????? Sounds like azwoodman58 got just what he wanted from us, a way to use us to advance his product. By the way the public profile says "business manager"

Seems to me this should be moved to VENDORS
    Live this day.

14. 07-31-2006, 07:10 AM

15. 07-31-2006, 07:17 AM

Posting PMs is in even poorer taste than the comments you got.

And the LT site is not our "sister" site.

So, AZwoodman, do you work for the beads folks or no?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I apologize

I am sorry to anyone involved in this and anyone reading this. As I have never been personally attacked in private messages I was unaware that it was inappropriate to share those messages with others here. Again I apologize.

I have removed the PMs
    Last edited by wanderer; 07-31-2006 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added info
    Live this day.