Thread: BG's Birthday run to Beemer

Threaded View

Cool BG's Birthday run to Beemer

This past Saturday, while the Kbasas were settling into their seats at Mandalay Bay (see Rally Forum - 2005 Rally in Vegas), I was taking no prisoners out on the highways of the Midwest. Actually, I was freezing my arse off. I decided to do a Saddle Sore 1000 for my birthday this past weekend. I was inspired to do this after spending some time with a certain K-bike (now GSA )Iron Butt guy. I wanted to see what 1000 miles in 24 hours felt like.

I left at 10:00 AM on Saturday 9/27 from Madison, Wisconsin, rode to Beemer, Nebraska, then back home to Milwaukee. The first leg was really windy but I made great time and it was very enjoyable. My bike did a weird thing where it wouldn't start right away a couple of times, but my 28 year old bike does funky stuff like that every once in a while. She's a 1975 R90/6. I got to the midpoint of Beemer, Nebraska at about 6:30 PM. It's just Northwest of Omaha.

I stopped in Des Moines on the way back to rest for a few hours and started the second leg at 2:15 AM Sunday. Cold, cold, cold. I could see my breath. A toll booth guy said that I was 'hard core.' I told him 'probably just dumb.' It was sure nice to have a smile and a thumbs up from him though. My shoulders, arms and hands were getting pretty stiff by about 6:30 AM when it got light out. My speed was down and I had to stop more frequently than on the first leg. At 8:55 AM 9/28 I got my finishing receipt and the gas station attendant kindly witnessed it. Home at 9:00 AM. 1053 miles on the odometer and 23 hours elapsed. Mapquest says 1047. I can't think anything I would rather have done to celebrate my (gulp) 36th.

Last edited by boxergrrlie; 09-30-2003 at 08:44 PM.