Thread: fuel pump noise

fuel pump noise

My 94 K1100LT makes a loud squeeling noise when the tank level gets down almost to reserve. I determined it was the fuel pump so I went to the dealer where I bought it used and he said if it's working don't worry about it. Besides being annoying it worries me that it's going to fail on a trip. I'd like to hear from some of you if this is mormal.

Mike,

That is the built in feature to remind you to get gas !

I have a 1996 K1100LT and when new, was loud I mentioned it to the dealer and he fixed it, re routed a line or something. Mine will stay make the noise but only when it has less than 1/3 gallon of gas, then I know I really need it.

If yours makes noise when you have over 1/4 of a tank, you might check and or replace your fuel filter, and check with another dealer.

HTH

Craig Cleasby
    South Windsor, CT
    96K1100lt 101000 miles

Thickasabrick

Talking seemingly loud fuel pump.....

When I first got my 1985 K100RS, I too wondered what the hell that sound was......It is a normal noise from the beast, owing to the lack of an insulator(the gas) surrounding it. Mine seems to be noticeable when it is half full or so and gets a bit louder as it gets down to red light.

I've been designing and building equipment and machines for years and have had a lot of experience dealing with German engineers. This is my first BMW and I really love it, but I find it hard to understand that the noise coming from my gas tank is exceptible engineering. What are some of the other excepted faults of a BMW?

A noise from the pump at a low fuel level could mean that the pump is sucking a bit of air. This might not be good since the pump is lubricated by the fuel. There is no shame in not pushing your tank to the last drop.

I agree with that, but it starts squealing at 150 miles and I can get 200. I pulled it out of the tank the other day and every thing looked ok, but I'm not much of a mechanic. Mike