Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct from the horse's .......mouth aka ask the chair

There is a quiet camping area that tends to be the family area. There is no designated family area.

There are no maps of the campground itself. It is a very large open area.

There are no campsites as in a commercial campground. There is open space; set up your tent, and that is your area. Reservations: nope; it is first come first served. There is plenty of open space.

Commercial lanudry facilities are availble in the local community.

Josh Ascher
    Rally Co-Chair

I will never ride enough

Rally Parking

I read Ray's update and I'm confused about parking. It says parking is at the mall.

Will motorcycle parking be allowed next to my tent while I camp at the University of Charleston?

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Rally parking

There will be free parking at the Mall across the street from the Civic Center for you to use when attending the seminars or looking at the vendors at the Civic Center.

When camping at the U of C you must park your bike in the paved parking lots, not on the grass next to your tent.
    Ride fast safely

Is there a shady side to this thing?

None of the pictures I've seen so far have anything I would consider appreciable shade, yet the comment has been made that there is plenty of it. So the question of the day is: "Where?" As an addendum to that question, is any of it in the quiet area?

U of C shade

Most of the pictures of the U of C have shown the Riverview lawn adjacent to the Kanawha River where there are only a few shade trees. On the other side of the row of classroom buildings there are many shade trees.

At the quiet area there are a few shade trees. It is more open than the U of C, but closer to the action at the Civic Center, and also on the River.

Your choice.
    Ride fast safely

Rusty_H

Vendors

ThereÔÇÖs always allot of ads in "ON" magazine for items that I would like to get for my bike. I see that there will be approximately 100 vendors at the rally, IÔÇÖve been holding off on buying some of the products out of the magazine because I "think" the vendor might be at the rally and I will be able to save some shipping cost and see the items up close before I buy. Is there any magical list of vendors that you guys have that you can post here so that we can see what vendors are at least "planning" on being at the rally.
    THANKS
    Rusty

List of Rally Vendors

At this time our hardworking Commercial vendor Committee Chair is hard at work trying to best fit all the vendors inot the available space at the Civic Center.

Once that task is finished, we hope to be able to post the list of vendors to the Rally 2003 web pages, although commercial vendors will be added to the list right up to opening day, if past years are any indication.

Pay off those outstanding credit card balances before the Rally.
    Ride fast safely

Rusty_H

THANKS

Thanks Mike,
    I see IÔÇÖm not registered but I am a member. Just wanted to make sure that you know that I appreciate all the hard work you guys and galls are putting into this. I have been lurking for some time on this board and others and itÔÇÖs great to see this forum and you answering all the good questions that have been coming up. I canÔÇÖt commit to coming to the rally until the last minute due to my job but I really hope to see you there, and I hope all the rain will stop, us folks on the east coast have really been getting it this year
    Rusty

john diakonis

Dealers

Just in case, are there reputable BMW dealers near the National if we need service? John

Parking at Campground

If you can't park your bike next to your tent does that mean you can't ride your bike to your camp location to unload your tent and supplies? If that is so it will be a real turnoff. This not parking your bike by the tent is a real bummer - my campling usually involves leaving some of my stuff on the bike right near the tent.
    Further, I can't picture carrying all my stuff a quarter mile or so from the parking lot?????????
    Jim Slater BMWMOA #34

Re: Dealers

Originally posted by john diakonis
    Just in case, are there reputable BMW dealers near the National if we need service? John
    Ther is NOT a BMW Motorrad dealer in the state of WV. Closest would be Athens, OH - They have a VERY GOOD rep, but I've never been there.

Gar

Re: Parking at Campground

Originally posted by Jim Slater
    If you can't park your bike next to your tent does that mean you can't ride your bike to your camp location to unload your tent and supplies? If that is so it will be a real turnoff. This not parking your bike by the tent is a real bummer - my campling usually involves leaving some of my stuff on the bike right near the tent.
    Further, I can't picture carrying all my stuff a quarter mile or so from the parking lot?????????
    Jim,

I doubt it would be any where near a quarter mile to your camp spot - unless you are trying to get as far from the lot that you can. Camping is next to the parking lot at UC. Maybe walk around a building, max. I think it was posted that there are a few grassy areas in the parking lot, so you could pitch there and not leave your baby. Of course, I 'll buy you a beer if I'm wrong - but ony you - you like generic don't you?

Gar

Tent and bike parking

At the U of C you may not ride on the grass. Bikes must stay on the pavement. If you walk a quarter mile from your bike to your tent site, you will no longer be on campus, you will have walked across the Kanawha River and be at the State Capitol building complex.

If you absolutely must have your bike parked next to your tent, you can do that at either of the other two camping areas, Magic Island or Northgate just not at the U of C.

Your choice.
    Ride fast safely

security concerns

At past nationals, the MOA had rented a fairground or something of the sort with a fence around it. This year, the registration and tech sessions, etc, will be in a public building (the civic center) where (I suppose) anyone can walk in. LIkewise camping on a college campus--it seems that anyone could walk right in. What sort of security systems will be in place? What will keep thieves, vandals, bums and winos off the street from going thru my tent during the day while I am away on a ride? What keeps someone from stealing my tent and rifling thru my tank bag when I park the bike outside the civic center and walk in the place to register? I mean, yes, anyone could steal anything any time I go to use a restroom in a gas station, but I don't think I am being paranoid here. Can you address this? Thanks

security again

I had not found Rev. Willie's post when I posted the above. Sounds like you answered my questions already. Most college campuses I have seen are pretty open and do not have gates as such, but if this one does, good. But $3 to park downtown? What the heck? And we can't park on the grass at the campus, near our tents? Half the fun of any rally is walking around, looking at bikes, and talking to the owners, who are usually right next to them, about their bikes. At this rally, if you want to talk to someone about their ride, you will have to scout them out.