Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rain Suit

SMOKEWAGON

Rain Suit

Hey there everyone,

I was thinking of getting a rain suit for those times I might get caught out. I was looking at the BMW ProRain2 suit. Any pros/cons for this suit? Any others to recomend. I think I would like one that is a one-piece.

Thanks,

Brian

Check out these reviews.
    http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/acc...it_comparison/

I've got the Nelson-Rigg, but the Triumph Chevron might be on interest to you.

2 piece is my preference

I prefer a two piece rain suit for this simple reason, when the rain stops the roads are still wet but there is no need to sweat inside a water proof jacket when the road spray only comes up to your knees. The pants only option also works when your bike gets rained on while parked, who wants to sit on a wet seat. The main reason for two pieceÔÇö I'm not a flexible as I once was and trying to wriggle into a center zipper suit over riding gear leaves you wet with sweat and grouchy from the struggle. And NO I'm not old as dirt, thanks anyway.
    I still use a Rukka I bought in 1988, works great never has leaked.

I no longer carry a rainsuit, as my Aerostich Darien sheds water well enough. However, I have used rain suits, and would carry one if riding in my leathers.

While a 1- piece rainsuit is more compact to carry, and more watertight, getting into a 1-pc suit while standing alongside the highway requires some tricky gymnastics. A 2-piece suit is much easier to get into (and out of).

I have found BMW gear to be high quality, with the right details. And of course if you have a problem, the BMW dealer can help resolve it.

Before purchasing a rainsuit, I suggest you attempt to put one on, while wearing your normal riding gear. Is the suit large enough to fit, but not too bulky? Can you get into the lowers while wearing your boots? Do the legs cover your boot tops while seated on the bike? Does the top close tightly around your neck? Are the arms long enough to cover your wrists while sitting on the bike holding the grips? Will you wear the jacket sleeves over or under your gloves?

With the suit on, can you get to your wallet? Is there a storm flap, or an outer, waterproof pocket for valuables you need to get to while riding?

Consider also, boot covers such as the Aerostich "Emergency Boot Raincovers", and glove covers such as the "Rain Glove Covers" (actually just XXL industrial dish gloves)

pmdave

I have the older BMW one piece (less color). It's great, but does require some gymnastics to get into (at a gas station under the shed roof). No crotch pool and folds small.

My boots are not high, so I have to get over boots, since my boots literally fill up with water.

rain suit

Frogg Toggs

Rinty

I hae used Motoport (now Cycleport) Gore-Tex rain gear successfully for years.

Jacket:

http://motoport.com/detail.asp?InSto...egory=RainGear

Pants:

http://motoport.com/detail.asp?Produ...&Merchant_Fax=
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    First Gear has nice stuff, won't cost you an arm and a leg. I like that I can wear the jacket around town without looking foolish.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Gary99
    Have never found the need to actually wear a rainsuit, although, I own a Frogg Togg suit. I wear a First Gear suit when it is cooler, and it is waterproof. In hot weather, I wear a mesh suit, and so far, am always glad to have the water to cool off.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I used North Face Mountain Light Goretex 2 piece for many years. Still works well but am trying the BMW Goretex 2 piece suits now. They pack smaller but the pants do not have the full length zippers that the North Face does. We usually wear waterproof riding suits but with leather suits, we need the rain gear again.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ADME:B:EF:US:1

My buddy has a set of these for touring and he let me try them on...they are comfy and easily fit over a riding suit with no worries. Some recent Chicago rains have proven the worth of the suit. I cannot say I understand why they are so cheap although they do work as good as some brand names.

DaveH

Rain Gear

Quote Originally Posted by smokewagon
    Hey there everyone,

I was thinking of getting a rain suit for those times I might get caught out. I was looking at the BMW ProRain2 suit. Any pros/cons for this suit? Any others to recomend. I think I would like one that is a one-piece.

Thanks,

Brian

First Gear 2-piece. It looks great, works well, and gives more options than a 1-piece.

DaveH

1BANJO
    Triumph Chevron is fantastic. I just bought one and am very impressed. I personally have not seen one I like better. You stand flat footed and zip it around you. I have had BMW suit years ago and looked at a 1 pc BMW at the shop and if does not compare to the Chevron.

SMOKEWAGON

Thanks

Thanks for all the ideas. Now I have more of an idea of what to look for. Thanks again!

Brian

steviewonder
    Tourmaster makes a great two piece suit that you can get for under $100. Unless you ride in the rain very, very frequently I found this to be more than adequate. I just took an all day trip in the rain of about 500 miles and the Tourmaster suit kept me dry as can be. Another thought might be what color do you want ... next time you're in the rain watch the cars and see which ones you can see soonest (excluding lighting). I prefer the yellow which really help with visibility in the rain/mist/road spray.

Ditto on the rain "booties" ... Whitehorse also has them for about 1/2 of what Aerostich wants for theirs. Cheap to buy ... saves your good boots ... easy to pack.

You can buy good old kitchen gloves at the grocery store ... get the XL size and slip them on over lightweight gloves. A cheap and VERY effective solution to wet hands for the rider who isn't in the rain often.