View Poll Results: Who's camping and who's staying in a motel/inn/b&b?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm camping and bringing my own gear

50 55.56%
  • I'm camping and using sherpa services

3 3.33%
  • I'm staying at a motel, b&b or inn

32 35.56%
  • I'm staying with locals (friends/relatives)

2 2.22%
  • undecided or not applicable

3 3.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Camping or Inning

Camping is the way to go IMHO You won't need to pack cooking and food supplies as there will be plenty of that on site, and easy to access.
    But, alas, for me, this year We will be motelling off site. This is because my wife will be with me, and that is her choice. We are staying at the T-Bird Motor Inn in Shelburne, just south of Burlington ( www.tbirdmotorinn.com) I know there are some other rally goers staying there as well.
    Hank Pfister
    Copper Hill, VA
    pfestus1@yahoo.com
    2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation.
    www.twinvalleyriders.com

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni
    Paul and I will be camping.

Don't want to miss a minute of the fun!

And the weather should be grand for sleeping.

Voni
    sMiling
    Hmmm. Last time I went to a National Rally in VT, the temp and the humidity were each 95. I quickly found a room across from the fairgrounds and a friend said I had the air turned up so far that you could hang meat in the room. The Green Mountains were obsecured by a heavy haze. Never saw them. Some friends found a road thru the country which crossed a creek and they went swimming. That same creek runs through Hurricane Mills, TN by the way.
    But, this time will be different...
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack
    Hmmm. Last time I went to a National Rally in VT, the temp and the humidity were each 95. I quickly found a room across from the fairgrounds and a friend said I had the air turned up so far that you could hang meat in the room. The Green Mountains were obsecured by a heavy haze. Never saw them. Some friends found a road thru the country which crossed a creek and they went swimming. That same creek runs through Hurricane Mills, TN by the way.
    Oh, and I forgot, the guys from TEXAS bought fans and plugged them in by the grandstand next to their tents...
    My other bike is a BMW.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tessler

But I'm still up in the air. Remember, I'm new to riding; as a newbie, I have no experience with MC Camping; barely with packing and riding with personal effects and luggage. But I'm working on it. I bought the book "MC Camping Made Easy" am studying it intently and do intend to try it (but most probably in a smaller venue as opposed to a large national rally).
    Actually having done both, I think that at the national, more people will be there to help if you need it. Plus with all the vendors you can purchase what you forgot. There is also a shipping solution if you realized you brought too much.

Don't forget to check out the camping info on the main MOA site. http://www.bmwmoa.org/camping/camping.htm

Thanks to Visian for getting that section started.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

ridesR100RS
    I've lived here in the hills of Vermont for many a year. Weather will vary from 50s-90s, from brilliant sun (let's hope) to deluge. But the mountain roads make it all worthwhile. For those seeking a getaway, I can offer tent space just north of Montpelier. It's within an hour to the suburbs of Essex, where rally will occur. I also have tent space on wilderness pond in the Northeast Kingdom (1.5 hours to rally) with wood-fired hot tub and primitive facilities. If anyone wants luxury (read: shower) I have a nice new apartment here in worcester, with pastoral views and nearby swimming hole for modest fee. Fully stocked workshop for fluid changes, repairs. ping me for details. Can also suggest riding routes in northern Vermont. chrisowenvt@yahoo.com

what a totally nice person!

Quote Originally Posted by rgvilla
    what a totally nice person!
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by cjack
    I sure hope so. I promised Paul great weather

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

IF i was going,i'd be camping,it's the true spirit of rallying,IMHO
    Nose

Quote Originally Posted by Oznay
    I think going is the primary thing...
    My other bike is a BMW.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oznay
    There are some that like camping some that don't. I am of the ilk of I like camping for a couple of days but I am going to be there a week... so I decided a hotel was for me.

To me the spirit of rallying is to hang out and meet new friends and talk motorcycles. I do agree that camping does help with that, but the true fun doesn't happen when I am sleeping....
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Unregistered

Camping Vs Hotel

I thought about hotel-ing, but didnt want to "beer hall" then ride to the hotel- I dont drink and ride. DP

SNOONE
    I told my wife how potentially dirty she could get.. She won't be coming.. I'll be camping.

I camp at most rallies but I also experienced the intense weather at both W. VA and Lima. Add to that, the heat in Lima and I decided that a hotel is the way to go. I am staying at the Hampton (~4 mi away) and expect that I can get cab service if the beer garden beckons...

Quote Originally Posted by 98024
    I camp at most rallies but I also experienced the intense weather at both W. VA and Lima. Add to that, the heat in Lima and I decided that a hotel is the way to go. I am staying at the Hampton (~4 mi away) and expect that I can get cab service if the beer garden beckons...
    We have often called cabs when camping or in motels to go eat or get back and forth. It is much more convenient when with even a small group than having a swarm of motorcycles.
    My other bike is a BMW.