View Poll Results: Who's camping and who's staying in a motel/inn/b&b?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm camping and bringing my own gear

    50 55.56%
  • I'm camping and using sherpa services

    3 3.33%
  • I'm staying at a motel, b&b or inn

    32 35.56%
  • I'm staying with locals (friends/relatives)

    2 2.22%
  • undecided or not applicable

    3 3.33%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Camping or Inning

  1. #1
    univers zero tessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,999

    Camping or Inning

    I'm curious to know what the percentage is of people intending to camp vs. those who'll be staying in motels/inns/b&bs.

    I'm still up in the air about camping at the rally. What are some of the pros and cons of either lodging scenario?

  2. #2
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    4,649
    Paul and I will be camping.

    Don't want to miss a minute of the fun!

    And the weather should be grand for sleeping.

    Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

  3. #3
    belquar
    Guest
    You should start a poll. It will obviously be skewed since only a small percentage of rally goers come here.

    We are staying in a Inn. Black Bear Inn specifically. We have rented out the Mountaintop Suite for the week. Pretty much a fully stocked house.
    http://www.blkbearinn.com/luxury_suites.asp#mountain

    Breakfast served every day and if you want they make dinner too. Or you can cook yourself if you are in their suites. They also have regular rooms that look above average as well. I am aware of several other reservations there by rallygoers. Don't know if they are fully booked or not. www.blkbearinn.com

    We will be there past the rally enjoying the northeast kingdom so that is why we chose it.

    Dad and I got a room in Lima as well. AC, shower, bed. Main perks there. Since we were on a quick turn around and a lot of long hours in the saddle we wanted really good nights sleep.

    I camped plenty in the Army. I still love to camp, but this year I have in tow my daughter who will be 10 mos old at rally time. My mother...who won't be riding much and my wife who will ride once there, but someone has to bring my little girl. They are flying in and renting cage. So we are three bikes and a cage. Sister is the third bike. Except for me and my father, this will be a first for everyone else.

    Brian

  4. #4
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Camping at Carmi on Tuesday night, hotel the rest of the way.

    I need a little space at the end of the day.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  5. #5
    univers zero tessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg
    I am camping because I can survive in the woods if I breakdown on the way.
    Chris, that's why you are THE MAN!

  6. #6
    @ the Big Muddy & I-80 bluestune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    LeClair, IA
    Posts
    319
    Camping! I'm planning on having as much fun as I can while at the rally.
    1976 R90/6

  7. #7
    Registered User chasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    1,115

    Talking

    Based on previous surveys, typically 60-65% of attendees camp while the other 30-35% will lodge off-site. We'll be posting Kbasa's room number and location on line as soon as it's available. Anyone wishing to stop by for a cool beverage will then know the parteee room!


    Riding Like the Wind...

    CHASMAN
    Black '02 K12RS
    Knights of the Roundel #333

  8. #8
    univers zero tessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,999
    Quote Originally Posted by chasman
    Based on previous surveys, typically 60-65% of attendees camp while the other 30-35% will lodge off-site. We'll be posting Kbasa's room number and location on line as soon as it's available. Anyone wishing to stop by for a cool beverage will then know the parteee room!
    I'm liking the sound of this already....

  9. #9
    BUBBAZANETTI
    Guest
    camping AND staying in the dorms at St. Michaels

    i have the room reserved thurs/fri/sat, not sure when my arrival is and will be dictated by my volunteer load. after camping at lima last year i'd like to have the option to stay at the end of the night and party to the wee hours or rest myself on a comfy bed. for my girlfriend this may be her first rally and i'm sure she'd appreciate the room more than my eureka solitaire one person tent (no commments please)

  10. #10
    RIDERR1150GSADV
    Guest

    Talking

    Although I won't be attending the National , I found that camping at rallies is the best way to soak in all that's going on. There is always a quiet area for those light sleepers and earplugs work well too .
    The camaraderie always amazes me while camping, regardless of being at a rally or just a (national) park. I understand that tenting isn't for everyone and the small New England B&B's are great too, but the tent thingie is really kewl..

  11. #11
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by chasman
    Based on previous surveys, typically 60-65% of attendees camp while the other 30-35% will lodge off-site. We'll be posting Kbasa's room number and location on line as soon as it's available. Anyone wishing to stop by for a cool beverage will then know the parteee room!


    Riding Like the Wind...

    CHASMAN
    Black '02 K12RS
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    Hey now, waidaminnit.....










    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  12. #12
    Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,799
    If I remember right KBasa was in the same hotel as me last year.... it was fun.



    I have enough points from travelling for work that I don't pay for hotel. Last couple of years I did both camp and hotel, it is fun to hang with people this year I will probably do the same. I am with Poobah on this one, at the end of the say I need my time....
    -=Brad

    It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

  13. #13
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn
    If I remember right KBasa was in the same hotel as me last year.... it was fun.



    I have enough points from travelling for work that I don't pay for hotel. Last couple of years I did both camp and hotel, it is fun to hang with people this year I will probably do the same. I am with Poobah on this one, at the end of the say I need my time....
    I'll have my camping stuff with me, so I may put a tent up in case I manage to enjoy myself too much one night. 3
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  14. #14
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    4,649
    Quote Originally Posted by chasman
    Based on previous surveys, typically 60-65% of attendees camp while the other 30-35% will lodge off-site. We'll be posting Kbasa's room number and location on line as soon as it's available. Anyone wishing to stop by for a cool beverage will then know the parteee room!


    Riding Like the Wind...

    CHASMAN
    Black '02 K12RS
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    Will there be a signup for the shower in the presidential suite?

    Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

  15. #15
    univers zero tessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg
    Cons : Remember West Virginia ? Rain , damp ground, and high wind destroyed some tents. Remember Lima ? High wind, and heavy rain on day one. Both rallys one had to deal with warm nights that may disrupt a sleep pattern. Depending on were you set up you will hear others snore, talk, or walk to public service's. Some people just like sitting around into the wee hours of the morning visiting. Kind alike sleeping as a child when the adults were still up. Since it is NOT your regular bed you might not sleep well. If you arrive late you may spend sometime looking for a space. In Lima I ended up on Main Street next to a port-a-john and 25 yards from the shower. That was great because I could see the lines. There was a Sheep Barn for emergency shelter. I used a bivy sack lodging the night before I left. The bike was packed except the bivy and me. The Lodge,B&B, and motel you would'nt deal with the aforementioned.

    Pro: The adventure, raw life firsthand, self reliance which will stimulate ones ID or Ego, satisfaction that you can do this. For those that are on a budjet one can spend more on things you don't need at the Rally. Everything is right there. If you had too much beer tent you can make it to your spot and not worry about a DUI. Be careful some of the tent ropes can trip you. You meet interesting people pitched next to you. I had a couple from Ontario, two from Kentucky, and someone from Tenn. differant roads in life but one common thread, camping, and Beemer's. Please try camping, if you can't sleep you can always go home and do it or take a power nap prior to an event.
    Great stuff. This is the kind of info I was hoping folks would provide. Thanks, Stat.

    I've camped/backpacked in my 20s and 30s but mostly in places that had relative solitude and quiet: national park and small state park campgrounds, etc. The described rally scenario: crowds and space issues, potential adverse weather, etc. may not be for me (I kinda live in the middle of the noisiest place on Earth ). That's why I'm trying to get as much of a big picture as possible. Like Kbasa and Brad, I know I definitely like my space at the end of the day.

    But I'm still up in the air. Remember, I'm new to riding; as a newbie, I have no experience with MC Camping; barely with packing and riding with personal effects and luggage. But I'm working on it. I bought the book "MC Camping Made Easy" am studying it intently and do intend to try it (but most probably in a smaller venue as opposed to a large national rally).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •