Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camping/eating Questions

Cold dinty moore? Not me! Great food for camping, but it helps if heated. Actually, I've found while camping, any food tastes great, even ravioli in a can. No fires are allowed, so you'd have to also pack a small stove.

Might consider something like heater meals (can google if really interested), self contained meals with warmers as part of the package, but not exactly the best for limited packing if you have no space to spare.

If it's anything like last year, there are plenty of restaurants locally, plus a lot of vendors. If it's hot, you might enjoy the air conditioning a restaurant may have to offer.

Unregistered

Camp to Eat/Eat to Camp

My main thing when traveling is: I don't care what I eat as long as it doesn't come from a chain restaurant. One of the great simple pleasures of traveling, particularly by motorcycle, is sampling the local cuisine. Mostly I like finding the little mom & pop diners that those who live there frequent. They typically have the best food at a more reasonable price.

A quest for food can lead you to some very interesting places, via some fun roads, and isn't that a big part of what it's all about?

I agree with 'Unregistered.' On my last trip I stopped at a tiny little ancient cafe in a small town in Oklahoma. They had the BEST cheeseburgers, and as it turns out the proprietor is a BMW rider and he came out to admire the bikes after we ate. I made a point to stop there on the way home too.

As for cold canned food, just take some bailing-wire and lash the cans to your headers then ride a lap or two around the rally site. Then remove the cans, open, stir, enjoy!
    Bikeless for now...but not for much longer!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Road food

Did you happen to see this post? www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10925
    Some of that roadside food can get interesting.
    If you are traveling on a budget hook up with the Poverty Riders, some of those guys can find cheap eats anywhere (at least that was my experience in New Oreleans during Mardi Gras years ago).
    Not every one has a fat wallet.

rlonstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    My main thing when traveling is: I don't care what I eat as long as it doesn't come from a chain restaurant. One of the great simple pleasures of traveling, particularly by motorcycle, is sampling the local cuisine. Mostly I like finding the little mom & pop diners that those who live there frequent. They typically have the best food at a more reasonable price.
    Amen. I travel like that by car, too, and keep a copy of Jan & Michael Stern's Roadfood there. They do name a couple of places near (enough): P&H Truck Stop in Wells River (which seems to be popular with students, travellers and truckers) and Wayside Restaurant on Route 302 in Berlin.
    I'm hoping chowhound turns up some others.

- Ross

Unregistered

Vermont Pub and Brewery

If it still exists, I'm having one meal at the Vermont Pub and Brewery in Burlington, near Church Street. Used to travel to Burlington on Business about 15 yrs ago. 1/2 yard (ever had one of these?) of maple ale- yum! have to spend a couple of hours walking it off B4 riding back to the rally. Anyone want to join me? Dave

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Baedke
    I usually carry hard cheese, like a chunk of cheddar, and a roll of Ritz Crackers ...beer washes it all down. Cookies are good too. Those new tuna packs (tinfoil?) seem good and smoked oysters or clams make a nice meal for me as well as the above mentioned sardines.
    Bill
    I'm taking a bottle of wine and looking for Bill Baedke... :-)
    Anyone want to join me?
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

VT brew pub

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    If it still exists, I'm having one meal at the Vermont Pub and Brewery in Burlington, near Church Street. Used to travel to Burlington on Business about 15 yrs ago. 1/2 yard (ever had one of these?) of maple ale- yum! have to spend a couple of hours walking it off B4 riding back to the rally. Anyone want to join me? Dave

If you're going to have a 1/2 yard at teh Brew Pub, you might wanat to consider taking the shuttle bus or the public bus downtown from the CVE rather than ride. Remember the rule of thumb....one hour from bottle to throttle for every 12 oz of beer.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Unregistered

Bottle to throttle

Thats helpfull info- How do the schedules for the shuttle work, and / or how many ounces in a half yard (for calculation?) See you in VT!