Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ride It To Work (Every) Day

Riding to work was not possible in my last job because I served a four-state territory (including TX) and had to haul a luggage-cart full of gear with me. But I'm planning on RITWE for my next job, once I get a runner again.

Re: Ride It To Work (Every) Day

Originally posted by Cliffy777
    Just a note to encourage all to ride your bikes to work EVERY day, not just once a year (whenever it was).
    Riding to work in traffic is too boring. I'd sooner use my bike for quality riding such as local backroads and touring. But to each their own. They bought it so they can do as they please with it.

Originally posted by Cliffy777 If we want folks to take bikes seriously as TRANSPORTATION, then we have to use them as such.
    Actually I'd like all folks to take driving seriously, but that would take a change in attitude.

Don't forget your towel
    A few years ago I finally bought a car reliable enough to be "real" transportation and my RTW ratio slipped from 100% to 60/40 (bike/car). Next week we are moving to an island, the ferry system loads the bikes on first, no waiting in line so I figure I'll be back up to 100% real fast.

It's also a great excuse to go shopping for a sidecar...

Blocking the slow lane
    Which island are you moving to Steve? Whidbey or Vashon? Say hey to Sue from us.....we miss you out here.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Don't forget your towel
    Bainbridge

There is quite a community of moto/ferry commuters out here, my current route of travel crosses paths with a dozen or so riders who arrive from Vashon at West Seattle at about 0645. Dozens more are parked every day under the viaduct along the waterfront. I figure to build another Airhead rig like the one I sold before coming out here but with a leading link or other sidecar type front end, it'll be easier to haul my bunking gear around that way.

Looking forward to catching up with my Chicago Region friends in Spokane next summer. Might even get Susan to join in.

Cliffy knows what's up.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Not today....Raining

But every day possible.

After many years of having to carry around a trunkload and car full of "sales stuff" and samples, I am now pleased to come to an actual office on a daily basis. I arrive with a smile and look forward to the ride home every day. 20 miles each way, as long as the roads are clear and there is no ice. Usually draw the line at 30 degrees, but have ridden as low as 19.

Lovin' life, and the ride!

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    In the past 11 months since I've started riding again, I have kept the bike in the garage and still gone to work exactly three times, all due to snow and/or ice on the roads. If it's really bad, I'll stay home. A day at work isn't worth a trip to the body shop. But if no snow/ice on the road, I'm on the bike.

But rain - why not ride in the rain? It's only H2O! It sustains us, cleans us (and our bikes), and nourishes all that lives on this planet. It's certainly not an evil force to be avoided. Plus, I get to entertain my co-workers with the inevitable wet spot on my jeans from the leak in the 'Stich
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

rocketman
    Not only do I ride to work much more often than not, I once rode FOR work! For three years in downtown city traffic on a old early 60's /2 in DC. Pretty much rode in any kind of weather you can think of. In many ways it was the koolest job I ever had.

RM

Mudbug

Cool Every day

I ride to work every day, except in thunder storms. I have an aversion to lightning strikes. I save a lot of money on gas and it starts and ends the day just right.

I ride to work about 90% of the time. Freeways in the morning, because I'm usually running a little late, and then surface streets and some twisties and a nice bit of dirt road if I feel like it in the afternoon. I have about 8 different ways of getting home.

If I drive the car to work, I have to park about 10 blocks away and walk through a sketchy part of Oregon City (redundant, I know). If I ride the bike in, I get to park in the sketchy part of Oregon City right out front of my office. My bike is the one with the cover and the steering lock and the disc lock.

This morning, I had to dodge what looked like a small pile of vomit right next to where I usually park. Then I noticed that it was right next to a partially-crushed Campbell's Soup can. Then I realized that in O.C., that doesn't mean it's not still vomit.
    -Eric
    '87 K75T, '07 F650GS

You can't exactly dust for vomit.
    Bikeless for now...but not forever!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    You can't exactly dust for vomit.
    I'm going to have to find a way to slip that into a conversation, this weekend. It's a perfect quote. Inspiring, and so true.
    Josh Metzger - Toledo, OH
    BMWMOA#123695, ABC#8463
    1978 R80/7, 1993 R100GSPD

Nobody mentioned parking advantages!

I ride my R1150R to work every day (15-20 miles) and use my R1200GSA for weekend rides and touring. I agree with all the great reasons for doing this that were mentioned previously. But for me, preferred covered parking right in front of my office has to be right near the top. Most people know how difficult it is to find any legal parking on a college campus. The motorcycle only section of one parking garage is just a few steps from my office, I can always find a spot no matter what time of the day, and my bike is protected from the elements. All of my colleagues are envious of my parking situation, but not enough to get a moto of their own.
    2009 R1200R (Commuting)
    2008 R1200GSA (Touring)
    2009 R1200GS (Mountains)

I ride to work often but not every day. It is 100 miles round trip. My work gives me a car so I have to use it from time to time or the bosses might decide I don't need it and take it away. I leave in the dark this time of year and soon will be going home in the dark. I just don't care for riding in the rain at night so the bike stays home then for sure.