Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage owners on the Forum

James.A

Vintage owners on the Forum

How many Forum members own and use pre-1970 bikes?

I have a 1969 R69S. Owned it for a year. I've just had the bottom and top ends redone. Now the ball's in my court...all the pieces are staring at me and I need to get it back together and on the road.

Kurt in S.A.

1961 R60/2
    1953 R51/3
    1941 R12
    1928 R52

I've put about 26k miles on these bikes.

Need I say more?
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

A 1965 Dover white R69S restored. It was original but stored in a shed without a roof (I guess that would be outside). A 10 ton press was needed to free the pistons. Once I got started on this rust bucket I couldn't quit but many dollars and a year's time had it looking and running like new. I've owned it about 15 years but don't ride it much - the R1150RT is just too comfortable!
    The closest thing to eternal life here on earth is a government program. Ronald Regan

just 2

1966 R60/2 Black w/22K and very original Cal Black Plate. Soon to be for sale!
    1965 R1600/2 Butterfield conversion. 1600cc aircooled kickstart only BOXER!

00weel

Two vintage bikes

I have three vintage BMW's that are insured and registered and get out (in the summer) at least once a week.

1966 R69S

1966 R60

1967 sidecar rig. /2 frame with a 75/5 motor, Hollandia side-car

this is my "other" vintage bike.
    A 1977 Triumph, Silver Jubilee Bonneville, that I bought new.

Last edited by Bensonhurst; 12-28-2008 at 12:28 PM.
    C.O.B.
    63 years old, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

James.A
    If my eyes don't decieve me, that is a left foot shift Truimph, While it is not pre-1970 it is an interesting specimen just the same. The side-car rig is yummy.

Very Nice!

Nice Jubilee, man. Beautiful.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Bird Dog

68 R50

My 68 R50 was pickled and put in storage 33 years ago. I'm going to break down the engine, clean the slingers, and check things out before firing it up. I don't want to risk causing any damage to the engine. Hopefully, this coming winter, I'll get to it.

Motard

Are you talking really vintage, or merely used?

If you want to see some really old bikes, I invite you to see the two new pages on my web site. (No, this isn't spam! ;-) ) They are from two vintage rallies I participated in, in May, while I was in Germany.

The first is the Keilriemenfahrt, or Belt Drive Rally. This is for any bike from 1924 or earlier, or up to 1928 if they're actually belt driven. I was able to borrow a 1913 Douglas 2 3/4 HP (that's the model name) for this 2 day rally held over the May Day weekend.

The second rally, the Richard Kuechen Gedaechtnisfahrt (Richard Kuechen Memorial Rally), was held the next weekend. This rally was for any bike up until 1939, and they had over 120 entrants.

Check them out, there are a lot of photos of bikes you just don't see over here! And while not every bike is a BMW, I think you'll have to agree that there are some interesting BMW-related bikes:

--Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

I have a 1965 50. I need to go over it (I bought it in the fall) and get it on the road. It shouldn't *crosses fingers* take much to make it a rider. We shall see (and hope until then).

j.

My 1967 R69S....

Here is my unrestored '67, bought new by my brother and entrusted to me about ten years ago. It has 65K miles on the odometer and still runs like new. The picture is from Angeles Crest Highway about two years ago.

Jon Miller

Quote Originally Posted by jonmill
    Here is my unrestored '67, bought new by my brother and entrusted to me about ten years ago. It has 65K miles on the odometer and still runs like new. The picture is from Angeles Crest Highway about two years ago.
    beautiful . . .

Bird Dog

R69s

Recently completed R69S http://mjstone.smugmug.com/

Hella bar ends, mirror mounts, and exhaust are not original otherwise she is pretty close. I've original Hellas and exhaust, but they will saved for show times. The mirror mounts satisfy a mirror requirement while staying with the general theme.The bike will be shipped back to the motherland in August, an eager new owner is waiting.

Next on the lift, a R50/2. This bike will be brought back to nice original condition rather than a total rebuild. (will also be staying in my stable)

Motard