Thread: Going South

RAUB60

Going South

I'm leaving next week for NC. from Detroit. Looking for a nice Route. I'm in no hurry. Any ideas?
    Last edited by raub60; 05-10-2006 at 01:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Hwy. 421 through KY all the way to Boone NC is a good ride.
    Hwy. 27 through KY to Sweetwater Tenn then Hwy. 68 to Hwy 411 north to Hwy 129 and over the Dragon. You can always stay on Hwy 68 into Georgia and stay at Two Wheels Only camp ground for a night then on to NC on some good roads.

Airhead GS convert...
    Quote Originally Posted by raub60
    I'm leaving next week for NC. from Detroit. Looking for a nice Route. I'm in no hurry. Any ideas?
    If you have a week or so and really are in no hurry, I'd suggest picking up US-250 around Sandusky, Ohio. It slowly gets curvier and curvier as it heads SE.

Take that to Staunton VA, and get on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Take that to Cherokee NC (watch for big detour near south end).

Poof! You're in Deals Gap area, and have had great riding the whole way.

Did the same trip 2 weeks ago with my 11 y/o son. If really curious, PM me or email me and I can email you a day-by-day log of it. Check out my other thread on BRP photos in this forum for pics.

Doug Grosjean

PS - I highly reccomend the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest near Deals Gap for some incredible trees. Virgin timber, never logged, very tall and wide.