Thread: Seaside, OR

Seaside, OR

Ok, so I took my first solo ride of any distance today in Oregon. I rode from my new home in Beaverton to Seaside, OR. Wow, was I impressed with the scenery. Spruce trees 100 feet high in a cathedral setting on both sides of Highway 26. My mouth was wide open for a good part of the trip. Up one mountain, down the other mountain for 60 miles each way.

Remember the scene in Crocodile Dundee where the mugger pulled out the switchblade & Dundee's companion reminded him the guy had just pulled a knife on him? He said, "That's not a knife,.....This is a knife". That's how I now feel about my old SC pine trees. Those weren't trees.......these are trees.

I think I'm gonna really love it here!
    2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring

Bob

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    Can't say we didn't tell ya'

Now when you have more time (only a two day weekend) go south to the N. California Redwoods and take a ride through Humbolt County and Hwy 254 (Avenue of the Giants Highway)

Glad to see you are getting out. Welcome to another part of God's Country.

Doc

(P.S. That's like listening to those other people on the East coast that say the have mountains, Hey look this ones over 4,000 feet; we call that a hill) Hehehe
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

Quote Originally Posted by BobMielke
    Ok, so I took my first solo ride of any distance today in Oregon. I rode from my new home in Beaverton to Seaside, OR. Wow, was I impressed with the scenery. Spruce trees 100 feet high in a cathedral setting on both sides of Highway 26. My mouth was wide open for a good part of the trip. Up one mountain, down the other mountain for 60 miles each way.

Remember the scene in Crocodile Dundee where the mugger pulled out the switchblade & Dundee's companion reminded him the guy had just pulled a knife on him? He said, "That's not a knife,.....This is a knife". That's how I now feel about my old SC pine trees. Those weren't trees.......these are trees.

I think I'm gonna really love it here!
    You're going to really like exporing the entire Oregon coast, Bob! It's a very beautiful place.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Pictures, Bob, pictures. You're killing me. . . .

P Monk

Beaverton to Seaside

I am planning my longest mc trip yet and part of it is down the pacific coast.
    Did you US26? What part of the ride is the best? I might want to do a little detoure and go East on US26 then 53 down to Nehalem and pick up 101 again if that is a scenic road.
    Any other suggestions in the Washington, Oregon area would be appreciated!

Bob et all,
    I'm over in Astoria, nex time you're going to be over this way give me a holler!
    The road from Beaverton to Seaside is Hwy 26, it's a very nice road! Bob, you need to make it down to Ashland, Oregon this summer. If you are at all into Shakespear, you will love it. Even if you're not, a very nice town!
    Check out this site:
    Oregon Motorcycle roads
    Here is THE authority on California roads:
    Pashnit
    Chris
    Currently bikeless...

Threefly's SmugMug Page

The Bar-B-Q in Seaside is better than SC BBQ too....(IMHO)

Next time to Seaside, check this place out

Wait until you're out on the coast on a July day and you're plugging in your electrics.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I really wish I had a helmet mounted camera of heads up display. Going down a twisty mountain road is no time to try & handle a camera and ride safely. I ride solo so there's no one on the back to snap them either. I'll try & figure out how to take a few & post them.

To the guy asking about Hwy 26 & other great Oregon roads I'm sure not the one to ask. Ask a local who's been here a long time. Sorry, right now my hobby's getting lost. What fun!
    2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobMielke
    Sorry, right now my hobby's getting lost. What fun!
    Hey Bob,
    If you want some help getting lost on great roads then try the Oregon 500. It's coming up on Sat. May 13. Its a ride approx. 500 miles around Oregon or Washington. You won't know where they are going until you get there. Usually the maps and directions are for about 100 miles. Then there is a check area where you'll get the next map.

http://www.rose-city-mc.org/RCFrameset.html

There are usually around 500-600 bikes of all types on the ride. There is a three hour long start time so the bikes are pretty well spread out. I just looked at their website and its kind of lame, but I have been going on this ride every year since 1989 and I always have fun.

They also have the Grand Tour that may interest you. Its a book with about 19 checkpoints around the state. Usually accompanied be nice roads. It runs from April-1 to September 30. You look at the maps, pick where ya want to go and then ride to the destination and have the book stamped like a passport at the checkpoint. Its usually a restaurant or store of some kind.

Welcome to Oregon, just remember our motto "Electric gear, don't leave home without it."
    Tom
    Salem Or.
    '93 K1100LT w/Bushtec
    '03 F650CS '09 F650GS

Got out to Seaside and Cannon Beach today, see if you recognize the rock in the background (think "Truffle Shuffle"!)
    Chris

Currently bikeless...

Threefly's SmugMug Page

Quote Originally Posted by threeflys
    Got out to Seaside and Cannon Beach today, see if you recognize the rock in the background (think "Truffle Shuffle"!)
    Chris

Too easy - Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach.
    Greg Feeler

You know it, Greg!

Currently bikeless...

Threefly's SmugMug Page

Quote Originally Posted by threeflys
    You know it, Greg!

I love that section of the Oregon Coast - actually, I love virtually all of it, but have spent many evenings walking past that rock and looking for sea critters at low tide. Beautiful place.
    Greg Feeler