Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No reservations @ Lake Carmi State Park?

Quote Originally Posted by 104554
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. I already feel welcome. I am starting my journey from Miami Beach, Fl. on July 15th and hope to make it to Lake Carmi by July 16th. I would like to know: how do you squeeze eight tents into a lean-to.?
    If I should arrive around 9 or 10pm, will the gate be locked?
    I would hate to sleep on my bike. Thanks again to all who replied. Hope to see u at Lake Carmi.
    if you plan on coming late late, be sure to gas up around Burlington, or if you come up I-89, stop at the St Albans exit, cuz you won't find gas at nite near the park

Rally camping

It sounds to me as if some people missunderstand rally camping. Camping at the National rally or at any other rally you do NOT get an individual campsite. You pick a spot, pitch your tent and make new friends with your neighbors. Assume the same for Lake Carmi. Don't worry it really does work out really well.

Did I get crooked? I made reservations at Camp Carmi and paid in advance. Then I read the fine print and found out it was fifty miles north of the rally. Poopies to that! Going to cancel my reservations and camp at the rally! I don't know if reservations are transferable to another "party"

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    I think you are confused about the PRE-Rally camping at Lake Carmi and then the camping at the rally. The idea about Lake Carmi is to get folks together BEFORE the rally. Its generally expected that during the rally (Thurs-Sun), people will be either camping at the fairgrounds or hoteling near by. But the ride from the fairgrounds up to Lake Carmi is a fun ride (as are most rides here in Vermont).

I'm not sure what the cancellation policy is for Vt Parks, but you may try calling them and checking into a refund (I think they hold one nights cost from the refund).

Brian

I see says the blind man to his deaf wife. I was wondering why BMW set it up way up there when everyone wants to be near the action.

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    I thought the blind man picked up his hammer and saw!

Quote Originally Posted by n1hnr941
    I see says the blind man to his deaf wife. I was wondering why BMW set it up way up there when everyone wants to be near the action.
    Hint: It isn''t BMW - it's the BMW MOA holding the rally.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I just stayed the Memorial Day weekend at Lake Carmi (car-my) State Park.
    Here are the coordinates: N 44 57.206 W072 51.748

I just reread this post and I think some points are worth reiterating.

1. This is a very nice park, but it would be an impractical base camp to attend the rally. It is just northeast of St. Albans, about 10 miles from the Canadian boarder. We went to Burlington via back roads, it took 90 minutes.

2. There are lots of camp sites, but I can't imagine sharing some of the sites with another, let alone 7 other, tents. Due to the holiday the camp was in full operation. Some sites had small campers and a vehicle in them, I'd guess you could fit 4 tents plus bikes. I did not run into camp sites that would fit 8 tents, but I did not view every campsite.

3. The facilities are good, typical New England campground. Showers are 50 cents for 5 minutes. You can even rent a canoe to paddle around the lake. Fire wood is available for $4 an armfull (that's two side cases worth). They have golf carts and will deliver if you like.

4. The main roads are wide and in better condition that some of the routes getting there! The access roads are fine for any type of bike.

5. There is a good general store about 4 miles away. Take 3 rights. Right out of the park, right onto Swamp Road and a right at the end of Swamp. Franklin general store is on the left. Friendly people, nice meats, drinks etc.

No swamp. just a nice view of the Lake and VT cows.

6. If MOA has the whole park, we will not have to worry about the drove of kids. The kids where thicker than mosquitoes, popping out from every corner.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Is the cute guy on the Harley available to be our cabana boy????
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60