FPR good but further airbox woes
I took the FPR off (by removing the nut and washer holding it in the bracket; much easier than trying to rmove the whole shebang) and conducted a simple test as outlined in my Haynes Manual.
By sucking on the vacuum hose I am now fairly confident that the FPR is still good as there were no leaks evident.:whistle
So if the ordered items arrive tomorrow I hope to have it all put back together by sundown. I'll use plenty of Back To Black or Armour All to lubricate the air filter and housing so my struggle might be alleviated somewhat.
One strange thing about the airbox, though. When I removed the two screws on top that hold the airflow meter inside I later realized that that wasn't necessary and probably only made the situation worse. No matter how many times I line up the screws and holes in the airflow meter the screws only go in partially now. They come to a dead stop about halfway in which creates a small gap between the screw heads and the plastic airbox top. Didn't strip the screws at all so am really confounded by this. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas on this but it never hurts to inquire.
If that tiny gap is going to create a problem I might have to put some sort of sealant
(hot glue would be easy) on the top to prevent airflow bypassing the air filter.
No more chirping from now on
After a couple other brief but intense rides over the last day or two I am confident that my screeching fuel pump situation is now over.
When I filled the tank with Chevron unleaded today there was no "whoosh" from the previous vacuum condition that was probably indicative of the blocked vent---for the very first time in my memory---it had become so commonplace I just assumed that it was standard behavior for fuel-injected systems!
With all new fuel and vacuum hoses, new crankcase breather hose, new FI nipple caps, new ABS relay and a new Westco battery my bike is running better and smoother than I've ever experienced. I suppose that when I bought it in Georgia in October of 2008 some of these problems were already underway (two cracked rubber pieces [I]at least[/I]).
I am personally amazed that I failed to detect these simple problems despite my fairly extensive renovation about three years ago---which only goes to show one that it often pays to seek out the advice of the many generous experts here.
Unless I am extremely unlucky or inept I now consider this annoying and noisy problem solved. A sincere "thank you!" to all that responded.
What a joy to ride such a smooth Beemer now!:dance:dance:dance: