Chromex'd headers arriving tomorrow
Just a heads-up for those curious about the Chromex ceramic coating I had done to my headers---they're waiting for me at the post office now. I'll photograph them and post the results here as soon as I get them out of the box.
More details to follow; I'm nearing completion at long last.:dance
Chromex ceramic-coated headers
Got the headers back from Performance Coatings in Auburn, Washington today (actually arrived Saturday while I was at work). They turned out perfectly well and I was also really pleased with their service and attention to detail.
I would wholeheartedly recommend this outfit to anyone wanting ceramic coating done.
On their website they indicate shipping by UPS or FedX only; I requested USPS as it's about a third of the cost compared to them for Hawaii---and they honored my request. My total cost was $99 and change; considerably less than I had anticipated initially ($140-$150 for Chromex plus about $59 for FedEx Home Delivery).
Here are some before/after photos:
AFTER (on-camera flash)
(taken with available light indoors)
I now know what others mean when the Chromex finish is nicer in hand; most photos don't do it justice. It's identical in color and overall appearance to bright or polished aluminum---perfect for my bike!
I'll get these reinstalled on the bike pronto (with a set of new copper nuts and crush washers) Probably a good idea to use some high-temp anti-seize on the studs, too.
More reno details to follow later this week (have a string of days off together so I should be able to finish things up by next weekend, fingers crossed!).
Sneak preview, another name change and 9-month update:
[B]Part 1) [/B] (going to post this in a few parts in between some chores tonight)
Basically completed my project today---after nine long months of work, numerous expeditures, delays, re-dos, etc.---along with a few mistakes and small triumphs here and there.
The last few weeks have been fairly rewarding, making it possible for me to get the bike all back together late this afternoon. While I was planning to put a couple gallons of ethanol-free gas in the shiny tank and take it around the block a few times today---the local weather turned sour on me about the time I was all ready.
Since I'll also need to go to the DMV and retrieve my license plate and re-register the bike before I really get out on the road (I filed a non-op certificate last year) I decided to wait on firing her up for the time being. I go back to work tomorrow morning and won't have time to do so until late next week.
At least the rain, mist and cold fog did not deter my spirits. I kept on working on the last few details; replacing several rusty frame-to-engine bolts, brake caliper bolts and reinstalling the windscreen that I buffed with blue tripoli yesterday.
While it is truly a joy to see my bike complete once again I will not be posting complete pictures here until I have a nice dry day where I can take some good "AFTER" shots that I can post along with a couple of "BEFORE" shots to better show all the differences.
Speaking of differences; I have decided on a new name for my bike. No longer Chiquita, no longer Alumina.......
Since the bike was built in Berlin and sounds like a Bernina sewing machine, I came up with "Berlina." :laugh
Here's a few sneak peaks of Berlina: