PDA

View Full Version : Problem Metzeler RoadTec Z6 Interact

nplenzick
05-23-2010, 04:07 PM
I'd thought I would pass this on to those of you who run this tire. A friend of mine has been running this tire for the past 8 thousand miles or so and has for the most part liked it up until the past few weeks. Our dealer (Hermy's BMW) is where he has purchased them. Recently while at the dealer they made him aware that their starting to see problems with the rear tire. Basically the center of the tire has no wear indicators or tread of any kind, you really have no idea how much tread is left. Apparently one of Hermy's customers crashed his bike in the rain on a trip as the tire went to showing cord while he was riding and he had no idea of it at the time. Yesterday my buddy and his wife went for a short ride, afterward he is now seeing alligator cracks in the center of his tire. We suspect his tire is getting ready to get down to the cord so he is having his tires replaced with Michelin Pilots.
I was concerned about this tire when he bought them last year as I thought they wouldn't do well in the rain. They apparently do quit well in wet weather but I never gave the lack of tread wear indicators a thought. Metzler really needs to put some sort of wear indicator on the center of this tire, something along the lines of whats on a race tire would work just fine. By the way the bike he's riding is an 09 RT.

Clay
05-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Look very closely..but you'll see 'em as explained to me by a Metzeler rep.

" TREAD DEPTH
Legally the tyre has to be changed as soon as the remaining tread depth is below 1,6mm. This can easily be checked by controlling the tread wear indicator height.
These indicators can be found into the tread pattern grooves, correspondingly to the "TWI" sign on the tyre's sidewall. METZELER recommends changing tyres when the remaining tread depth is below 2 mm . "

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

pffog
05-23-2010, 06:33 PM
.........Apparently one of Hermy's customers crashed his bike in the rain on a trip as the tire went to showing cord while he was riding and he had no idea of it at the time...............

Well, my guess is it would have had more traction with cords showing, than it did for the previous 500-1000 miles when it was bald.

Motorcycles should be treated like airplanes, and always be "pre-flighted", you should KNOW the condition of your tires, suspension, brakes, etc. every time you ride. Surprises can be deadly.

jurgen
05-23-2010, 07:02 PM
After 8000 miles, one should not be surprised about the rear tire being worn. There are other ways to recognize the wear besides looking at the center of the tire where the Z6 has no grooves. Inspect your vehicle before each ride.

MLS2GO
05-23-2010, 08:01 PM
I inspect my tires carefully and did so before a 400 mile round trip ride last year on my R1200RT. I know where the secret wear bars are and looked at them. All good. At 300 miles the cords were showing. The wear bars were still intact. The reason being that this was the bike I use for LD Stuff and they get flat in the middle. No wear indicators in the middle means no warning. If you wear your tires evenly middle and sides those bars may work. I will never have those tires again.
I switched to Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Love them not going back.
YMMV

nplenzick
05-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Look very closely..but you'll see 'em as explained to me by a Metzeler rep.

" TREAD DEPTH
Legally the tire has to be changed as soon as the remaining tread depth is below 1,6mm. This can easily be checked by controlling the tread wear indicator height.
These indicators can be found into the tread pattern grooves, correspondingly to the "TWI" sign on the tyre's sidewall. METZELER recommends changing tyres when the remaining tread depth is below 2 mm . "

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

After reading this my buddy check his rear tire and he has 2mm where the tread indicators are however that doesn't measure the middle of the tire. I suspect with the cracks he is now seeing in the middle of the tire one can assume that it's about to fail.

nplenzick
05-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Well, my guess is it would have had more traction with cords showing, than it did for the previous 500-1000 miles when it was bald.

Motorcycles should be treated like airplanes, and always be "pre-flighted", you should KNOW the condition of your tires, suspension, brakes, etc. every time you ride. Surprises can be deadly.

I don't think your familiar with this tire. As I explained there are no wear indicators in the center of the tire. The center of the tire when new is as you say "bald". So how would one know if it's ready to be replaced or not? Like race tires it would be easy to have wear indicators on the center. Really don't know why Metzeler doesn't do it.

nplenzick
05-23-2010, 09:09 PM
I inspect my tires carefully and did so before a 400 mile round trip ride last year on my R1200RT. I know where the secret wear bars are and looked at them. All good. At 300 miles the cords were showing. The wear bars were still intact. The reason being that this was the bike I use for LD Stuff and they get flat in the middle. No wear indicators in the middle means no warning. If you wear your tires evenly middle and sides those bars may work. I will never have those tires again.
I switched to Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Love them not going back.
YMMV
He too is a LD rider which is why he's switching to Michelin.

PGlaves
05-24-2010, 12:05 AM
I run Metzeler tires, and have for the most part since 1986. But not Z6s.

Metzeler can point out the ill placed wear indicators that are required by law and claim that they are useful as loudly and as often as they want. But the simple fact is that they are barely usable for anybody but a pure canyon carver who wears the tire off-center before they wear the center. These tires have caught as many good attentive motorcycle owners off guard as any tire I have ever heard of.

To be sure that they are safe these tires need to be changed early and often, by mileage, because you sure can't tell by looking. I've seen racing slicks with better wear indicators.

marcopolo
05-24-2010, 12:42 AM
The lack of tread wear indicators in the centre of the rear tire is why I gave up on Z6's several years ago. I switched to Pilot Roads, and now Pilot Road 2's. I've never looked back and I'd never use Z6's again. Having someone tell me how there really are usable tread wear indicators on rear Z6's reminds me of Arai dealers telling customers how easy it is to change their faceshields.

PaulWitt
05-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I've ran two sets of Z6 on my 2008 RT and never did really like them. They howled and cupped. I was told when I put the second set on, that I needed to run higher pressures to avoid the cupping issue. I did......and the tires still cupped.
I've now put Dunlop Road Smarts on and have ran probably around 1000K on them. I love em.
Just my two cents

BOBSST
05-25-2010, 01:45 AM
This has been kicked around before - worst set of tires I ever had!!

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29501&highlight=BobsST&page=2