PDA

View Full Version : So what makes a motorcycle?

talmadge_w
05-15-2010, 12:46 AM
OK, we've all replaced parts for repair or upgrade purposes but what part(s) if replaced create a different bike legally? I'm guessing the frame or engine case?? Only a slightly hypothetical question as I'm considering taking over a long term project bike and few if any pieces would be original by the time it's running again.

Anyone been through the process of registering a salvaged Frankenbike?

PGlaves
05-15-2010, 04:00 AM
OK, we've all replaced parts for repair or upgrade purposes but what part(s) if replaced create a different bike legally? I'm guessing the frame or engine case?? Only a slightly hypothetical question as I'm considering taking over a long term project bike and few if any pieces would be original by the time it's running again.

Anyone been through the process of registering a salvaged Frankenbike?

The VIN is on the frame. Engine swaps happen a lot and it is titled as the same bike. Wreck it and need a new frame and then you get a new frame # and a lot of paperwork.

osbornk
05-15-2010, 02:18 PM
The frame ID is what determines what the bike is.

lmo1131
05-16-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm considering taking over a long term project bike and few if any pieces would be original by the time it's running againI'm in this boat too. I've been collecting bits and piece for a sidecar tug project for a couple of years now and am just about set to start assembly.

If I build my own frame, which I plan to, how does the state go about identifying the machine? There will be no "title" per se, and no "bill of sale" from a previous owner; just a receipt for tube and plate material from the steel yard.

Growing up in Indiana we had "Constructed Vehicle" VINs that were issued once a custom built vehicle passed a safety inspection that was performed by a local Law Enforcement Office in your driveway. You then created you own VIN tag with a set of alpha/numeric stamps on a metal strip and affixed it to the frame in two prescribed (by the State) places and you were good to go.

I'm guessing (and I am) that that ain't gonna be the way it is in California today.

talmadge_w
05-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Given all the custom chopper guys on the West Coast there has to be a method in place for California. Given some of the designs I've seen out there the engineering and safety hurdles can't be too high!