PDA

View Full Version : Got passed by a squid in my lane!!

RTFlyer
05-06-2010, 03:13 PM
So here's the situation...

I'm on the interstate approaching my exit a few days ago, travelling about 72-73 (speed limit 70) MPH in the right lane. I'm 2-3 sec. behind a car but see no need to pass since my exit is maybe 1/2 mile ahead. Traffic is light and there is only one other car in the immediate area...in the left lane just off my rear wheel, and we're all travelling the same speed.

In my mirrors I see a sportbike gaining on us. As he approaches, he does the left-lane, right-lane, left-lane impatience shuffle looking for an area to pass. Since the car to my left is off my rear wheel and not passing me, there's no room around. I'm riding in the left track of the right lane approaching my exit.

I check ahead to keep an eye on the guy ahead of me and...WHOOSH!!! the sportbike passes me in my lane to the right of me, goes into the left lane around the car ahead of me, then back to the right lane, brakes hard, and takes the exit!!!

Of course, I ended up directly behind him at the stop sign at the top of the exit ramp anyway. I was tempted to ride up next him and kick him over, followed by whatever other physical torment I could unleash, but just shook my head and went on to work.

I'm okay with lane splitting, and I'm okay with lane sharing with another motorcyclist that I know and trust, but I was really pissed off. A quick clipping of my bars and I would have been under the wheels of the car beside me.

What an idiot! I'll probably go to jail the next time I catch up with a guy like that so quickly. What would you do?

tommcgee
05-06-2010, 03:43 PM
What would you do?

I'd let him go, although 20 years ago, I might have killed the bastid. :laugh

JoeDabbs
05-06-2010, 03:54 PM
I certainly would have admonished him at the light. He put your life in danger, big time. A few words couldn't hurt, if done in the right manner. Education in sharing the road comes in many ways and forms.

RCHARVEY6712
05-06-2010, 05:03 PM
"Passing me on the right was a dipsh*t move, a$$hole" was the first thing that came to my mind...
Probably followed by a suggestion to insert his **** into his tailpipe. But, hey I'm getting older and more mellow now. I like the 'push it over' and see where that leads idea.
Education comes in many forms, and not every donkey responds well to the 2by4....
:banghead

R80RTJohnny
05-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Happened to me a few years ago. Took down the plate and asked the police to have a chat with the rider.

rocketman
05-06-2010, 06:26 PM
The few times this has happened to me (someone trying to pass me in My lane) if I have enough lead time (and I mean Lots of lead time!) IÔÇÖll plant myself dead center (assuming they are not coming up to fast or it would put either of us in any danger) so they have to slow down and wait for a legal passing section, if not I just give ÔÇÿem the one finger salutationÔǪafter they have passed. So far its only been like three times in the past 11 years, prior to that I donÔÇÖt think it has ever happened.

Something else similar just happened to me, luckily at very low speed/stopped at 4 way. A sporty rider came up behind me as I was coming down to a 4-way stop. I expected him to stop Behind me, but instead he come up parallel to me at the stop. Huh? I don't know you, why are you Right Next to me? There were cars all the way around and the guy across from us was getting ready to turn left, but seemed to hesitate; like sometimes happens when all four ways have traffic that arrived at about the same time. In cases like that I'll often waive the one turning to proceed, just to get things moving again and ensure I don't get in their path as they decide to go, after I have started moving. Well I did, and the sporty guy then decides to take off ahead of me thru the intersection even thou he saw me waive the guy thru. Came Very close to being hit, would have too had the truck not stopped. As I see it, the truck had the right of way having started out first, why "sporty" couldn't have waited for a second is beyond me, and what Was he doing in my lane, anyway? I almost caught up with him and stopped him to explain he had no right to be in my lane next to me, even at a stop and detail his general stupidity :laugh but figured it wouldn't do any good. Young folks ... whatcha gonna do? :lol

RM

05-06-2010, 06:36 PM
You did the right thing resisting the temptation to kick him over.
I usually just shake my head or raise my hands in a WTF was that motion.
For some the road is their race track and they have to have the pole position, hopefully they will live lone enough to learn it's no worth the risk.
When others are acting stupid it's dangerous to attempt to correct their behavior by making it difficult for them to pass (centering yourself in the lane or closing any gaps) just let them go.

rocketman
05-06-2010, 06:49 PM
For some the road is their race track and they have to have the pole position, hopefully they will live lone enough to learn it's no worth the risk.
When others are acting stupid it's dangerous to attempt to correct their behavior by making it difficult for them to pass (centering yourself in the lane or closing any gaps) just let them go.

Yeah, you're right and usually I do, but there have been one or two time when I'm carving corners on narrow roads and I see someone coming up behind me driving "sporty" and in a manner that says to me I should not trust their skill set enough to let them by in the same lane i.e. not following a good line but rather all over the road then as soon as I can I'll pull over/slow way down and let them by as I rather not have them on my tail. Its not a "teach them a lesson" thing but rather self-preservation, I don't want them sliding out to my inside and taking me with them! there are now certain roads I avoid during mid-day hours some have gotten so bad in my area.

RM

PGlaves
05-06-2010, 06:51 PM

But he would have simply thought/explained that he could do that because of his immense skill level. Most people's perception of their own skills is pure fiction.

mistercindy
05-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Three thoughts. The first is that he shouldn't have passed you on the right in your lane. Particularly since you didn't waive him through, and he was exiting in a matter of seconds.

But secondly, had I been you, I would have moved to the right track of the lane and waived him through. Granted he was being a squidly ass since he was about to exit. But I consider it an act of courtesy for a motorcycle going slower than an approaching motorcycle to move to the right and let the faster bike through. I also tend to consider it an act of discourtesy not to let the faster bike through. I can see why you may not have done so with the exit coming up, but it would have cost you nothing to ease into the right track of the lane and waive him past. I'm not trying to slam or flame you, but you asked what we'd have done, and that's what I would have done. :)

Finally, you did the right thing at the stop sign. Life's too short to make an issue of it.

RTFlyer
05-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Three thoughts. The first is that he shouldn't have passed you on the right in your lane. Particularly since you didn't waive him through, and he was exiting in a matter of seconds.

But secondly, had I been you, I would have moved to the right track of the lane and waived him through. Granted he was being a squidly ass since he was about to exit. But I consider it an act of courtesy for a motorcycle going slower than an approaching motorcycle to move to the right and let the faster bike through. I also tend to consider it an act of discourtesy not to let the faster bike through. I can see why you may not have done so with the exit coming up, but it would have cost you nothing to ease into the right track of the lane and wave him past. I'm not trying to slam or flame you, but you asked what we'd have done, and that's what I would have done. :)

Finally, you did the right thing at the stop sign. Life's too short to make an issue of it.

In retrospect, I thought of the same thing. But just like that snappy comeback that eludes us at the moment, not till much later.

I guess it never occurred that he would do something so ridiculous, and I knew that I was exiting in a matter of seconds, that he would then be able to go on his merry way. I couldn't have dreamed that he would want to pass me on the right (which would have put us two abreast with a car off our left and squeezed me to the shoulder), then swing into the left lane to pass another vehicle, then exit from the left lane in one motion. Not to mention...there was a car directly ahead of me so there was really nowhere for him to go (safely) once he passed me. That's kind of like letting someone play-through on the golf course. What's the point when it's backed up ahead of you and you're waiting before every shot?

I also use the WTF palms-up shrug instead of the one-finger salute with motorists occasionally. I think it gets the point across just as well.

crazydrummerdude
05-06-2010, 07:41 PM
I had a similarly baffling situation happen. I was on a 35 mph road in a fairly densely populated area, although there was little traffic at the time. I was passed in my lane by a cruiser going probably 80mph. Didn't even see him coming.

But, when I think about this "my lane" stuff, I just remember that I'm from the midwest. In NYC or... Shanghai or Delhi, that term would probably be a laughing matter.

RTFlyer
05-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah..."my lane" doesn't really exist in some situations...but if I had eased over to the right anticipating the exit at the wrong time:dunno...probably bad for both of us. I guess it's just my sense of self preservation that that makes me so irritated over the whole thing.

rad
05-06-2010, 08:13 PM
But secondly, had I been you, I would have moved to the right track of the lane and waived him through. .

Thank You:rocker

I will never understand the mentality to purposely block or hold up another rider. :dunno

I see them coming a long way back and I then get into position to let them pass. I move over, or I move up, or back to allow them room to make a safe pass.

Bottom line, I treat them exactly how I would like them to treat me when I'm moving faster than they are and I approach from behind.

RTFlyer
05-06-2010, 08:52 PM
From the time he actually reached me to the time he passed was maybe 5 seconds; ten at the most. In no way was I intentionally blocking him. I couldn't pass safely either.

I have no problem with allowing others to pass. I normally wouldn't have been riding at the speed limit there. It's a long, flat elevated roadway over a channel and some flood plains.

SPOKESMAN
05-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Sure, if I have open road in front of me and a faster rider behind, I'll pull to the right and waive the faster bike through, but that wasn't the case here. The OP said he was trailing the vehicle in front of him at near minimum safe following distance, so he wasn't delaying anybody.

I wouldn't invite some stranger squid of unknown riding ability to share my lane when I'm keeping up with traffic and he's got nowhere to go. That would be like inviting the golf foursome behind you to play through in some misguided notion of courtesy while you are already waiting on the foursome in front of you.

BobFV1
05-06-2010, 09:33 PM
What would you do?I'd get over it, and live to ride another day.

greenwald
05-06-2010, 10:02 PM
What an idiot! I'll probably go to jail the next time I catch up with a guy like that so quickly. What would you do?

I would put up your bail money!!

Then get you into witness protection program. :dance

mXarad
05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
.... hopefully they will live lone enough to learn it's no worth the risk.

Hopefully they will die before they pass on their defective genes.

mistercindy
05-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Sure, if I have open road in front of me and a faster rider behind, I'll pull to the right and waive the faster bike through, but that wasn't the case here. The OP said he was trailing the vehicle in front of him at near minimum safe following distance, so he wasn't delaying anybody.

I wouldn't invite some stranger squid of unknown riding ability to share my lane when I'm keeping up with traffic and he's got nowhere to go. That would be like inviting the golf foursome behind you to play through in some misguided notion of courtesy while you are already waiting on the foursome in front of you.
The OP didn't say anything about "trailing" a vehicle at "near minimum safe following distance." He said he was riding 72 to 73 MPH and two to three seconds behind the vehicle in front of him. That's a distance of between 70 to 100 yards. Its more than plenty of space for a passing motorcycle and isn't what most people would describe as "trailing" somebody. I've passed bikes and let bikes pass me many times under far less desirable circumstances. The two would "share" a lane for the fraction of a second it takes for the faster bike to pass. It sounds like a very ordinary circumstance of one bike wanting to pass another on a highway.

rad
05-06-2010, 10:40 PM
From the time he actually reached me to the time he passed was maybe 5 seconds; ten at the most. In no way was I intentionally blocking him. I couldn't pass safely either..

Good point, fair enough.

I must admit, living and riding in California every day changes the dynamics; we pass cars in their own lane:laugh

motorradmike
05-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Happened to me a few years ago. Took down the plate and asked the police to have a chat with the rider.

I like that one best but I think most folks are saying:

- Don't pick a fight. (Which is prolly what kicking him over would do)
- Let faster riders pass. (Meaning facilitate, you are better off with them in front and you will not be held up by emergency response if they crash)
- I believe they can almost always get by you without incident, they are looking forward, you have to work to look in your mirrors. It's mostly just startling and pissoffing.

And lastly, anybody who wants to pass me gets the red carpet treatment!

Visian
05-07-2010, 12:19 AM
It's mostly just startling and pissoffing.

yeah, that's what happened to me.

when i was in the right lane on my HP2e, just minding my business, johnny crotchrocket on an R1 blew past me on the right, while the left lane was completely open. guess he just wanted to razz the fat old beemer guy.

i sped up to ask him "wtf???" up close and personal.

at about 100-105 he stands up, puts his right foot on the tail and pulls a power wheelie, accelerating away to what i figure is at least 120.

i was feeling pretty puny and backed off, when lo and behold, a Georgia Highway Patrol crests the hill, spots mr. performance rider, crosses the median and spins around in a cloud of rubber, grass and smoke.

a few miles down the road, the two are having a conversation in the breakdown lane. handcuffs were involved.

i chose not to stop, just in case the officer had thought i was a bad boy, too.

as i rode past, i noticed mr. performance rider's vanity license plate: Size 9

um, yeah. karma exists. :nod

regarding the OP, if i had seen the guy coming and had a sense of what he might do, i'd pull over to get as far away from the squid as possible.

ian

pmdave
05-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Years ago I used to communte on the Seattle-Bainbridge Island ferry, and as more people took up motorcycling to get ahead of the cars, there would be a roadrace as the mate signaled us to disembark. Of course we would see just about the same riders every day. One rider was "Mr. Fast Guy" who saw himself at a higher plane than the rest of us. He would characteristically weave between the departing bikes, pass on the shoulder, etc. Most of us saw him as simply rude. Back in my younger, fiestier days, I would attempt to educate errant drivers and riders.

One day two of us found ourselves coming to a quick stop for the red light, and MFG pulled up right between us. For whatever reason, the other rider and I glanced at each other and had an common thought. Just before the light turned green, the other rider shouted something at MFG, which momentarily distracted him. At that instant, I reached over and switched his kill switch to off. The light turned green, and he was left stalled in the middle of the lane wondering why his engine had quit.

But eventually I realized that you can't educate others on the road. More importantly, a psychologist once told me that about 1 out of 10 people are borderline psychotic. Lessee, if there are 50 bikers and 200 car drivers departing the ferry, that's uh... So, in a nation of uneducated gun-toting borderline psychotics, I think it's in my best interests to just stare straight ahead and pretend they didn't do anything. Auto driver truck driver, or motorcyclist.

pmdave

SPOKESMAN
05-07-2010, 01:11 AM
The OP didn't say anything about "trailing" a vehicle at "near minimum safe following distance." He said he was riding 72 to 73 MPH and two to three seconds behind the vehicle in front of him. That's a distance of between 70 to 100 yards. Its more than plenty of space for a passing motorcycle and isn't what most people would describe as "trailing" somebody. I've passed bikes and let bikes pass me many times under far less desirable circumstances. The two would "share" a lane for the fraction of a second it takes for the faster bike to pass. It sounds like a very ordinary circumstance of one bike wanting to pass another on a highway.

Uh, I think most would agree that "trailing" somebody means that you're behind them, exactly as the OP described. CA DMV says minimum safe following distance is 3 seconds. I'd say it's more like 2. Sure, you can draft 5' off of a back bumper at 80 mph and get away with it, for a while, but it will catch up with you.

I live in major metropolitan squid country, and I've seen squids splitting lanes and weaving in and out doing 120 mph in heavy 80 mph freeway traffic, and they lived, but it's not courteous or safe, and I feel no obligation to move over and invite such riders to pass me in my lane, especially if I'm already in the slow lane, and over the speed limit, and there's a car just ahead of me, and a car right beside me to the left, as was the case here. In fact, I want to discourage such a pass. I'd be cheesed off just as the OP is.

The only thing I'd have done differently is to try to keep the vehicle on my left out of my blind spot, but sometimes that's unavoidable, especially in heavy freeway traffic.

However, as I said before, if there's a faster rider behind me and open road in front of me, by all means, I'll move to the right and wave him through.

marchyman
05-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I will never understand the mentality to purposely block or hold up another rider. :dunno

Guess: because they're not in California they are not used to lane sharing and feel that the lane belongs to them. Like you, if I see them coming then it's pretty obvious that they are faster so I move right and wave them by. If I don't see them coming then I mentally kick myself for not paying attention... I should have. OK, once in very rare while I'm passed by an squid doing triple digits on public roads. If I happen to see them it's more luck than skill.

In the SF bay area, at least, it is not unusual for cars to pull to the left (splitting) or right (going slow) of the lane to let you by. Alas, it's also not unusual for someone to purposely block you when splitting stopped/slow traffic. Takes all kinds.

Trickster
05-07-2010, 02:21 AM
To answer your question, "what would you do?"

Nothing, if I were to react at every stupid incident that occurs daily/hourly
when i ride or drive my truck, I would be dead of high blood pressure.....or

what if the jackass pulls a gun on you when you question his driving ability?

Or kicks "you" over at the light?

As stated above, "move on".

Hard to reason with stupidty.

amiles
05-07-2010, 02:42 AM
Sometimes I think that I'll dislocate my neck from shaking my head over what I see on the road.

First, of course motorcycling has a higher potential level of physical harm in an accident than riding in an auto or bus. We don't need to make injuries and death more likely by driving like suicidal idiots.

That said, I am continually surprised to see the risks motorists take for little or no gain. In the example that started this thread, the offending rider gained NOTHING from his risky behavior Unless being first in line at a red light). I just cannot fathom why so many are driving around as though driving on the public roads is a competition.

The immortality of youth!

mistercindy
05-07-2010, 03:11 AM

I see them coming a long way back and I then get into position to let them pass. I move over, or I move up, or back to allow them room to make a safe pass.

Bottom line, I treat them exactly how I would like them to treat me when I'm moving faster than they are and I approach from behind.
I completely agree. Particularly with your golden rule thought. I don't like passive aggressive idiots in front of me, so I do my best not to act that way.

Uh, I think most would agree that "trailing" somebody means that you're behind them, exactly as the OP described. CA DMV says minimum safe following distance is 3 seconds. I'd say it's more like 2. Sure, you can draft 5' off of a back bumper at 80 mph and get away with it, for a while, but it will catch up with you.

I live in major metropolitan squid country, and I've seen squids splitting lanes and weaving in and out doing 120 mph in heavy 80 mph freeway traffic, and they lived, but it's not courteous or safe, and I feel no obligation to move over and invite such riders to pass me in my lane, especially if I'm already in the slow lane, and over the speed limit, and there's a car just ahead of me, and a car right beside me to the left, as was the case here. In fact, I want to discourage such a pass. I'd be cheesed off just as the OP is.

The only thing I'd have done differently is to try to keep the vehicle on my left out of my blind spot, but sometimes that's unavoidable, especially in heavy freeway traffic.

However, as I said before, if there's a faster rider behind me and open road in front of me, by all means, I'll move to the right and wave him through.
Find me the film of daytime LA highway traffic where everybody is a nice five seconds from everybody else! :laugh Maybe in Pleasantville, but not in the real world. One hundred yards between cars on any big city highway is a lot of room regardless of ivory tower law enforcement pronouncements. Every driver who lives in a large metro area knows that people are often 20 yards apart or less at much higher speeds and its not considered at all unusual or rude.

So rather than passive aggressively sticking your ground, just diffuse the matter by letting the bike pass and be a few car lengths in front of you, and be done with it.

j-budimlya
05-07-2010, 04:31 AM
While riding local mountain roads, I have learned that the faster rocket riders will not hesitate to pass on either side on the twisty roads up the local mountains. At first I would be pissed at the recklessness. Later I might speed up to hold them off.....and then i made the decision to keep one eye on the mirrors and pull aside and wave them buy. This seems to be the best strategy for me. I'm not slow by any means but these folks can be really fast and certainly willing to take greater risk than I am. I cannot educate them all, so a bit of defensive driving seems to be the best approach. It does take one eye on the mirrror to see them coming,

jforgo
05-07-2010, 05:12 AM
On a freeway, I usually ride on the right half of the left lane. This puts me in the mirrors of the cars in the second lane. I won't ride next to a cage, if at all possible. I do move to the extreme left of the left lane as I pass them, then back over when I am past.
If I have a faster rider coming up, in a steady polite manner, I wave them past when they get within range. I have no issue with those who want to go faster than me.
On the other hand, if I see a rude squirrely squid coming up, I will pass a cage, doing my lane side switch, without looking over my shoulder or in any way acknowledging them. They typically back off a tad, likely wondering WTH does this other rider even notice them. When I am in a spot where I am OK being on the right, only then I will glance over my shoulder, and wave them by.
In this way, I might give them a quickie lesson in lane positioning and bike to bike courtesy. Plus, I get a juicy rabbit ahead of me to distract the tax collectors.

ANDYVH
05-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Wait a minute, we have a rider legally using his lane (that being the one passed by the DS Squid), in the RH LANE/Exit lane already, and he sees a rider approaching faster from behind, and some people say we should move over to let the DS through!!??

Uh, no. This has nothing to do with courtesy, or allowing a faster rider through. It also has nothing to do with purposely blocking another vehicle, not a good idea no matter what the vehicle is. But given the instance of being in the RH lane approaching an exit, the overtaking rider had NO business whatsoever to pass an unkown fellow rider on HIS right, totally wrong in every sense.

If I saw the rider coming up behind me I would not block him. I would not do anything to endanger myself or my bike. But if I had a chance to catch up with DS at the next stop he WOULD get some comments from me, even if I am 52 and quite over my past years of bravado and attitude. What that overtaking rider did was simply stupid and his actions put others at risk. In some countries just passing on the right, in an adjoining lane, is reason for a ticket. To do so within the SAME lane deserves a ticket. Reporting the license plate number is a good move too.

RCHARVEY6712
05-07-2010, 04:10 PM
at about 100-105 he stands up, puts his right foot on the tail and pulls a power wheelie, accelerating away to what i figure is at least 120.

Wow, someday I want to see that. I volunteer to be a pall bearer!
:whistle

mika
05-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I like to ride quickly and safely in my lane. Why does another riderÔÇÖs stupidity require any response from me?

Visian
05-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Wow, someday I want to see that. I volunteer to be a pall bearer!
:whistle

like his license plate says... Size 9. :ha

MAYLETT
05-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I pretty much regard reckless/stupid drivers and riders the same way that I do deer, debris, gravel trucks, bad weather and potholes ÔÇö just things to watch out for and avoid when possible. Getting angry accomplishes little except spoiling one's ride with a bad mood. I'm not saying that I just accept them as part of the scenery ÔÇö they're fools who endanger others and have no business on the roads ÔÇö but I am saying that I don't let them upset me.

rocketman
05-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I like to ride quickly and safely in my lane. Why does another rider’s stupidity require any response from me?

Ha Ha! I concur, I owe an unknown rider no courtesies in so far as using part of the lane I'm in.

Some argue about it being a lot different in other countries but that has nothing to do with riding here. When I first started riding it was in Asia back in the 60's and "lanes" were an unknown or in Mexico where a local once told me that signs and signals and such were treated merely as "suggestions" but that has little to do with riding here. Once I started riding here I followed the local practices/customs/laws.
Following the argument that I should let him thru then I guess if I'm in my car and a sports car comes up on me I should let him thru in my lane too? (well, OK that's perhaps a bit far fetched but... :lol).
On a bicycle, yes cause I'm going very slowly, on a bike traveling at speed, nope, if he wants to pass me then use the next lane over, its not only safer its just plain common curtesey not to put other riders at risk, they have no more idea of what I’m planning than I do of them. Don’t see why that’s so hard to grasp. Perhaps passing the same lane is some new skill they teach in MSF classes? :lol

RM

dwhitlock
05-07-2010, 06:22 PM
It's like they say about pilots: there are old riders and there are hot riders, but there are no old, hot riders. A damn fool like the one who passed you is beyond reason, advice, or good road manners. He is all about his own ego. He has an appointment with an accident somewhere down the road. Don't go with him.

RTFlyer
05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Just to confirm for everyone...

I didn't lose any sleep over it or even get indigestion.
:blah:blah:blah

Also, I did not block him. He was only directly behind me (within passing distance) long enough for me to see him directly behind, then glance up at the traffic ahead before he sped past. A matter of seconds. Add to that the fact that he was exiting too, and I just don't understand his actions. Obviously, since I caught up to him at top of the exit ramp, he didn't gain any time advantage by what I perceived as his behavior risking my safety as well as his.

My "what would you do?" was about how you would have reacted at catching up to him. I see that many here have no issue with another motorcyclist doing this, which surprises me a bit. It startled me, but I am an old guy so I just let it slide, but I was surprised at how quickly the adrenaline kicked in.

ka5ysy
05-09-2010, 02:27 PM
What would you do?

40mm WP grenade ? :thumb

Makes a nice pretty white flower blossom too !

:hide

dlowry
05-09-2010, 02:58 PM
At least it was a bike. I had a car do that on a wide open two lane road at 55mph. I figure he just wanted to scare the heck out of me.

Like others, 20 years ago I would have engaged the idiot, now I just shake my head and hope that they don't take me out when they are doing stupid stuph...

GlobalRider
05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
What an idiot!

There is a reason we read about them in the obituary columns and also why our insurance rates are high.

You also find them on four wheels.

GlobalRider
05-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I had a car do that on a wide open two lane road at 55mph. I figure he just wanted to scare the heck out of me.

The problem is, we are all too well protected by insurance. If that lame brain was ultimately responsible for damages, pain and suffering out of their own pocket (claim their house instantly), they'd all think and act differently.

Of course, there are a few of us that won't take "sorry" for an answer or be happy with what the insurance pays when we are in a wheelchair for the rest of our lives due to inattention or ignorance. ;) I'm one of them!!!

SPOKESMAN
05-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I completely agree. Particularly with your golden rule thought. I don't like passive aggressive idiots in front of me, so I do my best not to act that way.

Find me the film of daytime LA highway traffic where everybody is a nice five seconds from everybody else! :laugh Maybe in Pleasantville, but not in the real world. One hundred yards between cars on any big city highway is a lot of room regardless of ivory tower law enforcement pronouncements. Every driver who lives in a large metro area knows that people are often 20 yards apart or less at much higher speeds and its not considered at all unusual or rude.

So rather than passive aggressively sticking your ground, just diffuse the matter by letting the bike pass and be a few car lengths in front of you, and be done with it.

So if you are in heavy freeway traffic in LA moving near the legal limit, and you have ten miles of vehicles behind you in your lane and every one wants to pass you (This is not a farfetched scenario.), you really move over and wave them all through to defuse the matter rather than being a "passive aggressive idiot?"

I guess we just disagree on this one.

darrylri
05-11-2010, 05:53 PM
If I'm lane splitting down the I-405 in LA traffic, and I notice that there's another bike coming up on me, I pull into the lane and let him by. Why should I hold him up? Besides, maybe he can open the way a bit for me to follow.

Similarly, if I'm cruising down the freeway here in Surf City, and I see a bike coming up behind me, I am perfectly prepared to let him by, too. Why is it so important whether somebody passes you or not?

Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

As Marc Hyman said above, if I get surprised by someone, I blame myself for not watching the situation closely enough.

Rudyjo
05-11-2010, 07:20 PM
The problem with the idiot mentioned here is that this is what most people think
of when the subject of motorcycles comes up. Those 5% give all of us a bad
reputation.

angysdad
05-11-2010, 09:56 PM
A few years ago, when my wife was at home expecting our first child, I got passed, on either side by two superbikes doing wheelies. I was doing about 30km/h over the limit already. They came within inches of making my pregnant wife a widow. Times like that I am happy I do not carry a weapon. My child would have had to visit his dad in prison.
One the plus side, as I get older, I figure these idiots may just end up supplying me with replacement (donor) organs.

speed safely

mistercindy
05-11-2010, 11:40 PM
So if you are in heavy freeway traffic in LA moving near the legal limit, and you have ten miles of vehicles behind you in your lane and every one wants to pass you (This is not a farfetched scenario.), you really move over and wave them all through to defuse the matter rather than being a "passive aggressive idiot?"

I guess we just disagree on this one.
This whole situation involves a motorcycle coming up behind another motorcycle in what seems to be fairly mellow urban highway traffic. My point, which I think I made pretty clear, is that when a motorcycle comes up behind me in the same lane I am in, and its pretty clear he'd like to pass, I'll move to the right half of the lane and wave him by. I've done it many times, and others have done it for me. It is a fairly common motorcycle courtesy. It doesn't apply to cars since the lane isn't big enough.

So to your question, what if I'm in heavy freeway traffic in LA moving near the legal limit, and I have ten miles of vehicles behind me in my lane all of whom wants to pass me will I really move over? If the vehicles are cars then there's no room to pass me if move to the right in my lane, so what would be the point? But if its ten miles of motorcycles (this is a farfetched scenario), then sure, why not? I've moved to the right half of of a lane and let a group of a half dozen squidly fast sport bikers by a number of times. They normally give me a nice "thank you" waive and move on down the road. No big deal. I could be a passive aggressive jerk and stay in the middle of my lane, but doesn't do anything for anybody. Like in the OP's first post, they're gonna pass anyway, so you might as well be nice.

Jeeez, I can't believe this is an issue. If they can, bikes let bikes pass. Why is that so tough? Perhaps it has something to do with the Campfire thread about this being an old man's forum.:dunno

sal_campagna
05-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Years ago I was riding home and was in the fast/carpool lane. I usually ride in the left side of the lane.

There was a vehicle behind me, Then he passed me in the right side of the lane!

It was a little, late model Civic with four guys in it, they all stared at me as they slowly passed me in the same lane.

I didnt do anything, just was a bit in shock that someone would do that, all I can remember thinking was just "what the fudge?"

Not as bad as the squid and a bit funny now...

Sal

Kirbster919
05-12-2010, 03:54 AM
I take these situations on a case by case basis. The only time I've been really upset is when two rockets passed me on the right side of me in my lane when I was 2-up with my little brother. My biggest issue was that one rider decided it was okay to share my lane immediately next to me for more time than was needed to pass, when the right lane was open. I'm a trained opera singer, so I've got some pipes, and I swear, even over his exhaust, he heard me shout at him.

Remember, you can scare the heck out of somebody and cause an accident regardless, so give as much space as possible.

ka5ysy
05-13-2010, 01:28 AM
One the plus side, as I get older, I figure these idiots may just end up supplying me with replacement (donor) organs.

speed safely

Maybe not... At the speeds these squids tend to go doing stupid things, not much is recoverable.

About 5 years ago on I-10 headed to Florida, some idiot blasted past me far above my 80 mph cruise just over Mobile bay. I stopped for lunch at Micky-D's place and got back on the road about 10 minutes later. Down the road a ways, I came upon a really bad accident which obviously just happened. Seems the squid in warp drive had some kind of drop at speed, and there was a nice ballistic curve of scrape marks into a bridge abutment with predictable results. It looked kind of like a ripe tomato thrown hard against a wall. My wife wanted to know what that was, and told her she did not want to know.

Darwinism at its finest.

bobh41
05-17-2010, 11:46 PM
You haven't taken into account that some number of people buzzing around are actually suicidal. No amount of reasoning or blaming can possibly affect them. The only alternative for this case is simply to view them as another of the very many hazards on the road. Try not to assist them.

tinytrains
05-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Here on the LA freeways, I usually ride on the left side of the carpool lane. This leaves the right side open for those splitting lanes. Mmany people ride between the HOV lane and the # 1 lane quite fast.

As for cars, I usually run about 75 in the 65 zone, If I get traffic behind me and there is an HOV opening, I will out of the lane for a minute and let them by for my own safety.

My favorites are the Adam Henrys that zoom up behind me, park on my rear wheel, then go over the double-double line, pass me, and back in the HOV lane, with no passenger! Of course they snarl at ME like I am the bad guy.

The other issue here is when the main lanes slow down or stop and the HOV lane is open. I slow down to a speed that I have a chance to stop or avoid some jerk that darts over the double-double line in front of me. Others just blast on at 70 MPH past stopped cars. Scary.

Malcolm_Robinson
05-20-2010, 06:03 PM
I have two suggested replies:

- give him the universal 'slow down' hand sign (arm out, palm down, downward push). the point is to make him think.

- give him the american 'get f*&%ed' sign to show displeasure

- just shake your head to let him know he is a nit wit