PDA

View Full Version : Question: Transferring BMW Warranty

JohnM
04-26-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm about to purchase a BMW that still has time left on the warranty.

Would someone tell me how you go about getting the warranty transferred to me from the previous owner?

TY
JOhnM

marchyman
04-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Would someone tell me how you go about getting the warranty transferred to me from the previous owner?

Unless things have changed there is nothing for you to do. BMW provides a warranty for the bike regardless of the owner. You might want to send in the change-of-address card (if you can find it) but that doesn't do anything except tell BMW where to send future recall notices. :whistle

After market warranties are a different animal. They will often have a transfer fee and be limited to one transfer.

JohnM
04-27-2010, 12:16 PM
TY for the info.

It has 2 years remaining on the OEM warranty.

chelseaboy
04-29-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm about to purchase a BMW that still has time left on the warranty.

TY
JOhnM

Just take the bike in, they know its under warranty, and you give the dealer your info.

mcmxcivrs
04-29-2010, 01:41 AM
If you go through the warranty information in the owners guide, there should be an 800 number you can call to change the ownership status. This isn't required, the warranty will still be valid even with the PO's name on record, but as noted previously, it does ensure any notifications come to you directly. They should also send you a new warranty card.

If your buying from a dealer, they should handle this for you, but its good to double check with them to make sure.