PDA

View Full Version : The R1200R - Unappreciated by both BMW Riders and BMW Motorrad?

fastdogs2
03-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Without wishing to ruffle any feathers with RT riders, since I know this forum is dominated by them, I would submit for your consideration that the R1200R is very much unappreciated by both BMW riders and BMW Motorrad, the corporation,

Having just purchased a 2009 R1200R last month after five years on a 2005 R1200RT, I can state that I was one of those who did not appreciate the R1200R until I became a proud owner.

I have at last found a motorcycle that makes riding fun for me, again. I can feel the wind and have a sense of the speed of the bike. I can see the road to the front and the sides, unimpaired by fairing. I can move the bike around at low speed and maneuver into parking spaces, without fear of dropping it. Although I can't completely flatfoot it because I am 5'8' with a 29' inseam, but at least I am not on tiptoes, like I was with the RT.

I have seen the rumors that BMW Motorrad has decided to discontinue this bike, mainly because the price is too close to what the RT lists for. I think that is a mistake on their part. The R1200R shows the heritage of the early BMW motorcycles with its minimal coverage of engine parts, the large round headlight and the round handlebars. One look at the R and you immediately see the mark of its ancestors. BMW should always have a motorcycle that envisions that heritage.

I think this is a beautiful bike and deserves to continue to have a place in the BMW line. If BMW Motorrad discontinues the R, I am certainly glad that I have the privilege of owning one of the last ones. Those of you who haven't had the pleasure of riding or owning this great bike are the ones who will lose, if it is discontinued. I know that I am going to hold onto mine.

Weasel
03-10-2010, 08:11 PM
And, should you take it to the dealer for service, it's cheaper because there's no tupperware to remove to get at stuff. I would have bought one of these, but at the time I was misquoted for insurance. The agent I talked to insisted that it was classified as a sport bike because of the "R" in the name. I ended up with a CLC (which I am happy with). Even thought the CLC has a great fairing, you can still see down the forks to the road surface. Coming from an R60/6, which I bought new, and was, at that time, the "plain jane", my next logical choice for a new bike would have been the R1150R in '04. I enjoy seeing the engine on a motorcycle, and not just the cylinders sticking out of plastic.

criminaldesign
03-10-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm with you dog. You're lucky to see even one in a dealership. If I was in the market for a newer BMW the R12R would be one I would be interested in cos of everything you stated above. It's a basic bike.

TIMAY
03-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I completely agree, and am sad to hear a rumor that they may be discontinuing it.

I rode one as a service loaner. My RT (previous ride) was being serviced. I took the R right to the interstate and realized that I REALLY had to hold on! I really liked the bike.

I love the "classic" look and agree they should keep it around.

When I was shopping for my current ride (KGT), I seriously considered an R or a GS because no tupperware = much easier maintenance, especially the TB sync, which looks like it can be done without removing any parts. Bonus!

If I had unlimited $$$, I would own one. [of each!] :)

- - -

Sidebar / hijack: My primary riding buddy rides a HD V-Rod. It has no wind protection to speak of. (And a 3 gallon gas tank.)

It's a pride point that I ride super long rides. It makes me feel like a badass that I can endure being exposed to the elements for so long, especially when the weather isn't absolutely perfect (and honestly, it so seldom is!).

When he goes on long rides with me - completely exposed with no windscreen or fairing - it kinda takes that "badass" down a few notches ...landing me a little closer to the "wuss" category.

Kudos to all you folks who log long miles with no forward protection! :)

chasman
03-10-2010, 09:23 PM
If the R1200R had a 6 gallon fuel tank it would sell. Many buyers settle for the R1200GS because it's the closest thing to a naked BMW that has a decent sized fuel tank. Sadly, BMW no longer wants to build sport touring machines that are only popular in the U.S. Regardless of the BMW claims, the K1300GT and R1200RT are not sport touring bikes. Bring out a naked R1200R with a big tank and a R1200RS with two full size saddle bags and a lot of folks in the U.S. will flock to buy new bikes. Just my opinion as a 2-up sport touring rider.

Riding Like the Wind (first ride of 2010 was today)...

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS (133K+)

Weasel
03-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Rode my R60/6 from Detroit to San Francisco. No fairing. Just bungied a rolled up sleeping bag to the tank, put my chest on that, feet on passenger pegs, and chin ended up just above speedometer. Very comfortable, and much like superman flying along. Wonderful!

swall
03-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Yep, I love my 'R. It is my 5th BMW twin. In 40 years of riding, the 'R is the best machine I have ever owned.

mcmxcivrs
03-11-2010, 12:53 AM
I can sympathize with you. I felt the same sort of disappointment at the demise of the RS.

Motorwerk
03-11-2010, 01:20 AM
At the moment there's really no evidence that the R1200R will be discontinued.

Also, there's plenty still in the NJ warehouse.

BMW does seem to be keeping a sharper eye on model inventory and can decide more quickly not to make a run of a particular model based on sales and not just make a large run and hope to sell them all.

Manufacturers no longer want to be stuck with excess inventory to later have to unload them. They would rather keep it low so the all models can sell at a premium.

henzilla
03-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Seems the Roadster goes into hibernation mode every few years.
There was a gap between the 2000 1100 R when the 2002 1150 R came out ,and again between 2004's twin spark 1150 before coming out as the 2007 model 1200R. They seem to work out the bugs in the GS & RT versions of a new powerplant before the Roadster is released.
It does sell well in some markets, it is the closest appearance to the Airhead R tradition( even though some Airheads think not!:fight) and I just don't see that leaving the line up.

We have a 95 & an '02...get to ride a 1200R regularly as one is in the extended family as well. Great nekkid' bike. The sky is not falling !

deilenberger
03-11-2010, 02:46 PM
If the R1200R had a 6 gallon fuel tank it would sell. Many buyers settle for the R1200GS because it's the closest thing to a naked BMW that has a decent sized fuel tank.
It's awfully close.. I pretty regularly put 5.5 gallons in, and once or twice have put 5.7 gallons in. Driven conservatively - it will do 50MPG, giving over a 300 mile tank range.

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS (133K+)

deilenberger
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
At the moment there's really no evidence that the R1200R will be discontinued.

Also, there's plenty still in the NJ warehouse.

I'm not sure about "plenty" - but then I haven't seen the warehouse so mebbe there are.. but most dealers I know swap with each other to get the bike they need when a sale comes in. Our friendly local dealer commented to me that for a few months the R12R was his best seller - outselling even the GS. Of course he had several in stock, which makes it lots more likely you're going to sell one. It's hard to sell what people can't see/ride.

BMW does seem to be keeping a sharper eye on model inventory and can decide more quickly not to make a run of a particular model based on sales and not just make a large run and hope to sell them all.

Manufacturers no longer want to be stuck with excess inventory to later have to unload them. They would rather keep it low so the all models can sell at a premium.
Certainly the ST taught BMW that lesson - at one point there was an employee purchase plan at silly cheap prices for the ST just to clear out the ones in the warehouse.

There is a very active R12R community that has formed on another forum.. http://r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=20 - it's active, very friendly (first name basis) and populated by a bunch of people who think they have the best bike BMW makes (they do actually.. :) )

I think BMWs problem selling the R12R are several:

1. Pricing - optioned with the same basic options as any RT comes with - out the door price is too close to an RT or GS (ABS, centerstand, OBC, bags, sport windshield - about $15k..)

2. Pricing - somehow I suspect the dealer markup on the R12R isn't as high as other models - at least if the dealer is discounting it at all to get the price down to where it really should be. I suspect because of this - many dealers don't bother getting one to put on the floor. Can't sell what you don't have.

3. Lack of exposure - unless I missed it - the R12R was absent at the BMW NYC moto show booth this year. I know it was absent from the demo ride bikes at the MOA national (I looked several times..)

4. Lack of exposure - I haven't seen it in any bike to bike shootouts in the popular moto rags for several years now. It trounced the competition when it first came out in shootouts.. BMW should be pushing demo bikes on the magazines to try to lure the Ducati, Guzzi and Triumph lookers into the BMW showroom.

At the MOA national - in the Vintage barn, I was struck by HOW close in appearance the R1200R is to the very first BMW twin made. Right down to the size of the pinstripes on mine - the heritage is really obvious. It's pretty much an iconic bike to a lot of people who don't own BMWs but like them, and it would be a shame for BMW to discontinue it.

I really expect it may take a 1 year hiatus, then reappear with the new camhead engine in it.. meanwhile I'm trying to wear mine out, it changed me from a 5-,6000 mile a year rider to a 11-12,000 mile a year rider, and I have trouble getting off it.. it's that good.

PowderkegPete
03-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I got to agree. The R1200R is my pick as the best all-around Beemer - scarcely available. It's a great around town jammer and nimble, sure-footed sport tourer in the twisties with excellent comfort over the long haul. Since riding my buddies R12R on a long outing I've been looking for a deal on a low mileage pre-owned unit. Without success, I'm purchasing a Duc Sport 1000 Biposto as my back to basics classic ride -- a compliment to my 2008 K1200S. If, indeed, BMW Motorrad is contemplating the future release of a R12R with the overhead cam head, ala the new GS/As I'll be the first in line to buy one. If BMW discontinues the R1200R I regret to say that I have probably purchased my last Beemer. I trust Motorrad monitors this forum for insight into what the loyal want.

Pete Peterson :thumb

tessler
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
3. Lack of exposure - unless I missed it - the R12R was absent at the BMW NYC moto show booth this year. I know it was absent from the demo ride bikes at the MOA national (I looked several times..)

I really expect it may take a 1 year hiatus, then reappear with the new camhead engine in it.. meanwhile I'm trying to wear mine out, it changed me from a 5-,6000 mile a year rider to a 11-12,000 mile a year rider, and I have trouble getting off it.. it's that good.You're correct, Don. I was at that booth for a while (getting photos for the mag) and the R12R was absent (most likely to promote the three staples featuring the new camhead: GS, GSA, RT). (oops... wrong, tessler! Bubba Z corrects me below!)

I'm seriously considering making the R12R my next bike (as early as this Spring). :thumb

BUBBAZANETTI
03-11-2010, 05:42 PM
You're correct, Don. I was at that booth for a while (getting photos for the mag) and the R12R was absent (most likely to promote the three staples featuring the new camhead: GS, GSA, RT).

I'm seriously considering making the R12R my next bike (as early as this Spring). :thumb

really?

there were 2 there friday afternoon, a lowered white one and a normal height black one with bags, i spent some times sitting on the normal one as the lowered one would have probably caused a kink in my knee.:)

akbeemer
03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
We now have both an R12RT and an R12R in the household. Have not had the R on the road yet since we took delivery in December, but I am impressed with it. I particularly like how easy it is to work on. The R is my wife's bike and we spent the winter setting it up for her. Lots of add-ons and they were all easy to install; I can see me getting a roadster when time comes to replace the RT, but I do love my RT. As others have said, one issue with the R is the cost after adding farkles; it can make the cost near to that of an RT. We have close to $3k in additional stuff on the bike. The fact that we bought a 08 model that was still on the showroom floor for about 15% off and with free luggage is what sold us on the bike.

tessler
03-11-2010, 05:46 PM
really?

there were 2 there friday afternoon, a lowered white one and a normal height black one with bags, i spent some times sitting on the normal one as the lowered one would have probably caused a kink in my knee.:)Oops! My bad and you're totally correct. Lol. Joergen even took a picture of them! (and I was standing right next to him when he shot this... but then we all went to the big gig and drank sangria... my excuse) :hungover

sdpc2
03-11-2010, 06:00 PM
under-apprecited in my book. :love

My wife had an R1100R and now has an R1150R (granted with a sidecar attached), but both are wonderful bikes! Easy to work, corner like crazy, are easy to ride and all around excellent machines.

But if BMW is pricing them that high, then they obviously don't care about selling them. :violin

mika
03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
I agree the R1200R is unappreciated by both BMW Riders but not by BMW Motorrad.

RT riders are more than willing to ruffle the feathers of the Roadster riders so back at you. In another thread a RT owner claimed the RT a ÔÇÿvastly superior bikeÔÇÖ; at what?
The RT and most other bikes in the BMW line have vastly superior feature lists but live with them day to day year round and the Roadster is a much friendlier bike. Obviously YMMV.

Range:
Don is correct. The tank capacity is close to what Chas suggests and if you keep your wrist out of it the bike is capable of 50mpg. My R1150R fully loaded for a month long tour has given me 49mpg when sipping real gas. Ethanol blends nock the mileage down for the R_R but is egalitarian doing the same for the RT rider. However; my mileage is no where near that good day to day. The bike is just too much fun to keep the wrist out of the equation.

Shootouts:
I havenÔÇÖt seen it show up in magazine shootouts on either side of the pond. The bike would do well in all the categories these type of articles look at but I doubt it would win a segment. Price would kill it when the article ended. The trouble with that is the price of entry into this bike may be higher than others but living with it is worth the fee.

Inventory:
This rumor strikes me as having much more to do with BMWÔÇÖs and BMW dealerÔÇÖs need to manage inventory than any real threat of the demise of the Roadster. First, unsold inventory is an ongoing expense. In any market you work to contain expenses it is even more of a challenge in a motorcycle market that is down. Secondly, again I agree with Don and believe that BMW will be announcing and bringing out a camhead R in the near future. Given that both groups need to sell existing inventory in anticipation of that.

tinytrains
03-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I am another happy customer. After 21 years on my K75, I wanted a similar bike; light weight, shaft drive, easy to work on, easy to ride and no tupperware. I had never ridden an R-bike before I went on a demo-ride, but I came back sold. With the low CG and high bars, the thing rides like a 600cc dirt bike, but with lots more power. As for insurance, even my agent was surprised how reasonable it was, under $600 a year for full coverage.

BMW did have one at the Long Beach show in December, but outside of a dealer show room, I have only ever seen one other R12R here in So Cal (and I see a LOT of bikes). He turned out to be a fellow member of R1200R.org.

Scott

fastdogs2
03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Since you brought it up, I just got my invoice for the insurance on my 2009 R1200R.

It is $456 for the year. Very reasonable, I think.

Another reason to ride the R.

BUDDINGGEEZER
03-11-2010, 10:51 PM
It's not just the R1200R that is unappreciated. The naked standard motorcycle doesn't sell well in the US. There are many great naked standard bikes offered in Europe, but not here.

Ralph Sims

empeg9000
03-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Since you brought it up, I just got my invoice for the insurance on my 2009 R1200R.

It is $456 for the year. Very reasonable, I think.

Another reason to ride the R.
Wow! You pay a lot for insurance! I pay $250 for full coverage. I ride an RT but I did the R. I like it's clean simple looks and it's more old school. The RT just fits my needs better for all weather protection and two up riding. I also have no idea how you guys get such good gas mileage. I hear other RT rider talking about getting 50 or upper 40s. I am always mid to low 40s.

fastdogs2
03-12-2010, 12:43 AM
I had an RT for five years and paid close to $600 per year for it.

Define what you mean by full coverage? Also what year is your RT?

I have a $250 deductible with high limits of liability for both bodily injury and property damage. If you have a high deductible combined with low liability limits, you will pay less, but it is not worth it if you have an accident and the other guy sues you.

We pay high motorcycle insurance here in North Carolina thanks to one county (Graham) that has the highest rates of motorcycle damage and personal injury in the state. Care to guess what highway is located there? A clue - it rhymes with Wagon.

empeg9000
03-12-2010, 12:50 AM
I had an RT for five years and paid close to $600 per year for it.

Define what you mean by full coverage? Also what year is your RT?

I have a $250 deductible with high limits of liability for both bodily injury and property damage. If you have a high deductible combined with low liability limits, you will pay less, but it is not worth it if you have an accident and the other guy sues you.

We pay high motorcycle insurance here in North Carolina thanks to one county (Graham) that has the highest rates of motorcycle damage and personal injury in the state. Care to guess what highway is located there? A clue - it rhymes with Wagon.
I do have a $500 deductible and also have high limits for bodily injury and property damage. I thought NYS was high but perhaps not as high. I do have the bike listed for recreational purposes as well. Not for commuting. It's also rolled in on an umbrella policy with my home and autos.

fastdogs2
03-12-2010, 01:24 AM
OK. That explains it.

My policy has no restrictions on use. I do commute, as well as, tour on my bike.

You still have a good deal with what you are paying.

lkchris
03-12-2010, 04:37 PM
It's not just the R1200R that is unappreciated. The naked standard motorcycle doesn't sell well in the US. There are many great naked standard bikes offered in Europe, but not here.

Have always thought of the "Rs" as

... bikes for folks that want new and want the cheapest--they are obviously price leaders

... bikes for folks whose next bike will have a fairing

... bikes for city riding and not the long distance touring so favored by USA BMW owners. They are for sure better for city riding than the bikes with fairings.

... difficult to distinguish from a GS, but for sure shorter

... least intimidating ... as regards fear of falling over and damaging fairing

tntimbo
03-12-2010, 05:25 PM
At a recent BMW gathering held at a dealer, I saw a new R1200R "touring" model in deep blue metalic. It had the low frame option.

It impressed me as one of the most beautiful motorcycles I have ever seen. It also "felt perfect" when I sat on it for the first time. Had my bank balance permitted, I would have owned it on the spot!

I have test ridden the R1200R and it is a fantastic performer!

It is definetely the most under appreciated BMW in the current line.
Tim

deilenberger
03-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Kent sez (and I gotta disagree with some of his thoughts..):

Have always thought of the "Rs" as

... bikes for folks that want new and want the cheapest--they are obviously price leaders
Hmm... price isn't a driver for the R12R - you can certainly find cheaper new bikes in a BMW dealers showroom (650's and 800's) and it wasn't in my case.. paid cash for the roadster, could have paid cash for any other bike in the showroom. Cheapest was not a factor at all.

Bit odd - most of the people I know who bought a roadster USED to have a bike with a fairing, (or in my case, MANY bikes with fairings) and realized how much more pleasure they get riding "naked"..

... bikes for city riding and not the long distance touring so favored by USA BMW owners. They are for sure better for city riding than the bikes with fairings.
I'll agree the R12R is better than a bike with a fairing in the city, but that makes it hard to explain why I doubled my annual mileage when moving to the Roadster from a series of faired bikes.. I do at least one 3,000+ mile trip a year, and usually a few other 1,000 mile trips. All started since I got the R12R. I think the trips qualify as "long distance" non-city riding.

If you can't visually distinguish between a GS and a Roadster, I'd suggest your eyeglass prescription might be out of date.. :) If you mean difficult to distinguish the useability of the two - I'd agree. A chap named Chitown (Joe Finn) is well known for taking his R12R places where GS riders just don't seem to be comfortable. :dance

... least intimidating ... as regards fear of falling over and damaging fairingI wouldn't call it intimidating. I'd call it uncomfortable. When I test rode the RT I found I couldn't see from the cylinder heads to about 3 feet in front of the bike, and basically had concerns when I came to a stop if I was going to have to dodge a pothole with my feet. I like being able to look down and see all the pavement surrounding my bike. I find that comforting.

I like the R12R because it does what I want and it fits me. It's really THAT simple. it wasn't price that drove me to buy one. I knew the day I sat on one at the NYC moto show in '06 that I'd own one, and I did by spring in '07. I ride it year round in NJ - putting way more miles on it then on any other bike I've ever owned.

Cheap? Nope. City bike? Nope. Want a faired bike? Big NOPE. Less intimidating? Mebbe a little. Mebbe we can grade this on a curve. :)

darrylri
03-12-2010, 06:29 PM
I'd have to agree strongly with DonE. I've never owned a "big fairing" bike, but I am working towards my 600k award. Right now, only the R appeals to me in the boxer line, and for the same reasons that Don pointed out.

My current bike is an R1200ST. That, and my R1100RS, are the best bikes for me in recent BMW memory. So, that really highlights what the OP was saying: that these bikes are unappreciated by both BMW and the customers they attract.

fastdogs2
03-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Kent,

I was the one who started this thread. I have owned two BMW's, a 2000 R1200C that I rode for two years and a 2005 R1200RT that I rode for five years.

I paid $10,000 for my R1200C, $21,000 for my R1200RT and $15,120 for the R1200R. If I wanted to go cheap, I would have purchased a F650. Price was not my factor for choosing the R1200R.

I had a fairing on the RT and while I appreciated it for cold weather riding, I absolutely hated it for riding in the 90 degree temperature and 90 percent humidity that we have here in NC.

I toured on my R1200C, I toured on my R1200RT and I intend to tour on my R1200R. I have the side cases on the R and I will put a seat bag/duffel bag on the rear seat, since I don't ride two up.

I don't understand this. The GS has an entirely different shape from the R. True, the R has a much shorter seat height than the GS, but it doesn't look anything like a GS, in my opinion.

... least intimidating ... as regards fear of falling over and damaging fairing

I would agree with Don. The R1200R is not necessarily less intimidating, but is a lot easier to ride, maneuver than the RT, LT, GS, especially if you only have a 29 inch inseam. If I was 6 foot 3 inch dude with a 36 inch inseam, perhaps I would have a different opinion. Like Don, I like to be able to see the ground in front and to the side of the bike, in case of potential obstacles. On the RT, every parking maneuver was a guess, especially if you are on tip toes, trying to maneuver the bike.

In starting this thread, it was not my intention to condemn others' choices of bikes. I have been enlightened by the renewed joy of motorcycling revealed to me by the R1200R. The RT just wasn't doing that for me anymore, because of the factors I have mentioned and others have seconded.

dwestly
03-12-2010, 07:42 PM
While not an R owner, I have ridden them and would agree that they don't get the good press they deserve. My wife and I are going to do the High Alps Edelweiss tour in 2011 and our bikes of choice will be Rs...

dhgeyer
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Sign me up as another former owner of a fully faired bike who won't own another one. Too hot in the Summer, harder to work on, more top heavy, and just not as much fun. I did 14000 miles last year, and will beat that this year easily. I'm planning a trip from NH to the West Coast for late Spring on my R12R. I live in New Hampshire. The R12R was delivered to me on January 20, 2010 with 11 miles on the clock. It has 1280 on it right now. I've done 150 miles on a day that never saw 32 degrees, and was as low as 20. I do have a modest windshield. With the proper gear there's no need to be cold, even on a naked bike. When it hits 85 or 90, there's no way I ever found to wear all the gear and stay cool on a faired bike, and I tried a lot of things including wet clothes and mesh. Still too hot.

As for cost, I paid cash, could have done the same for an RT. I didn't even look at the RT, since I knew it wasn't what I want.

The R12R has more than enough range. I can't imagine anyone not buying it because they thought the tank was too small.

I have no idea whether they're going to drop the R or not, but I'm sure happy with mine!

I wonder if they'll ever bring the F800R here? I bet I'd like one of those, too.

SCJACK
03-12-2010, 11:13 PM
I have owned three oilheads. My LEAST favorite was the 2002, R1150RT. It was too top heavy and I absolutely hated the power assisted brakes. The R1200C was fun to ride after I changed the handlebars and put a Russell seat on it.............but the bike that I wish I had not sold was the R1150 (naked and no ABS). It was a great bike and I sold it due to serious health problems I was having at the time and thinking that my riding days were over. I'm able to ride again and I'm on a nice airhead but I would consider a R1150 or R1200 again. It would be a shame if BMW dropped the R1200 from the line.

fastdogs2
03-12-2010, 11:17 PM
DH,

That is so true about the heat and the fairing on the RT. I ride with an Olympia Airglide jacket and BMW Venting Machine pants in the summer, but I have found no relief from the heat on the RT, due to the fairing. I kept looking at my controls for the air conditioner switch, when I went riding to Gatlinburg, TN, two summers ago. It was 97 degrees with 95% humidity. I thought I was going to lapse into heat stroke waiting for five minutes for a left turn arrow at a traffic signal.

My R1200R was delivered on Feb 18, 2010 and it seems we have had snow and rain ever since then. I rode to the dealer two weeks ago for the 600 mile service and the thermometer never got above 32.9 degrees. I had layered with polypro under my Savannah jacket and the Olympia pants have liners, so I was well protected from the cold.

The only thing that got cold was my fingertips. Even with glove liners, heavy gloves and the heated grips, I could not get my fingers warm at speeds above 60 mph.

Even so, I can live with cold fingers to be able to ride in comfort, once the heat arrives here.

I agree with you about the F800R. If you have the Touratech Streetline catalog, check it out on pages 90 and 91. That one looks like a GS without the boxer engine. I don't know what the seat height is, probably 35 inches. I would be willing to try one, if they offered a low version.

Bill

Anyname
03-13-2010, 01:35 AM
DH,

The only thing that got cold was my fingertips. Even with glove liners, heavy gloves and the heated grips, I could not get my fingers warm at speeds above 60 mph.

Bill

I bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves last fall, mostly because I was wearing so many layers of clothing that I nearly strangled myself. Insulation is great but heated clothes are better, not to mention much thinner.

deilenberger
03-13-2010, 07:34 PM
I bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves last fall, mostly because I was wearing so many layers of clothing that I nearly strangled myself. Insulation is great but heated clothes are better, not to mention much thinner.And handguards will do lots to help with cold fingers. Even better are the sort of hippo hands that Wunderlich now offers for hexheads. I have nice warm hands with thin gauntlet gloves and never turn the heated grips off low.. with temps in the high 20's low 30's.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WA&Product_Code=8110360&Category_Code=R1200R-C

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/8110360a.jpg

For more info on adding handguards to the R12R - see:

http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19696

Did I mention I love this bike? :wave

deilenberger
03-13-2010, 07:45 PM
BTW - Wunderlich also has available some easily mounted handguards..

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WA&Product_Code=8600347&Category_Code=R1200R-C

One of the R1200R forum members got them I think..

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/8600347a.jpg

The mount fastens using the mirror mounting. Simple to do I would guess..

GlobalRider
03-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Come to think of it, I've toured my whole life on nothing but a "standard" or "dual purpose/sport".

Riders ought to worry less about what they're on and instead think of where they've been.

GlobalRider
03-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Sign me up as another former owner of a fully faired bike who won't own another one. Too hot in the Summer, harder to work on, more top heavy, and just not as much fun.

I've driven in very hot temperatures and its bad enough having hand protectors on my dual sport.

I had one very heavily clad tupperware sport bike...notice I said ''one". What a procedure to get to anything.

And in the end, I want to feel like I an riding a motorcycle, not a car.

akbeemer
03-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Good question. I had an R100S and an R100RS; everyone called them sport tourers at the time. My R12RT is far more capable in every way; faster; quicker; better on the long hauls; handles as well in most situations, better in many, less well in some. Maybe it's the height of the handle bars that earn a bike the Sport Tourer designation, or perhaps it's the set back of the pegs. Perhaps Sport Tourers are not allowed to have adjustable windshields or radios. This is very perplexing ;). Guess we'll just have to decide for ourselves.

f14rio
03-27-2010, 08:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPGFoniszW8&feature=related

tgoodmann150069
03-28-2010, 07:13 PM
I have less experience to go on than others posting, so I don't know about the R-R being underappreciated, except to agree that I see almost no advertising for it and, as others have commented, no head-to-head write-ups with other naked bikes. I like the look, and I do see a few around south Florida, where our heat and humidity make fairings less useful for much of the year. I wrote in a few weeks ago, currently riding a Thumper GS (which I'll keep) asking about the R850R--the appeals are similar, of course--as a way of getting into R-bikes. Yesterday, we had the opportunity at BMW of Miami to meet Nate Kern, and I mentioned the 850; he agreed that the bike, especially given its price point now, is a good way into a bike with tele- and para-; then he added that I should look at the R1200R as a way to get all of the latest technology, price aside.

Very nice guy, Nate; he is down at Homestead speedway right now sharing the track with local riders. Not an R1200R, however!:laugh

fastdogs2
03-29-2010, 01:41 PM
TGoodmann,

Not exactly a magazine write up, but here is a video comparing the R1200R with the Moto Guzzi 1200, another naked bike with similar riding characteristics.

Disregard the commercial in the first part. I don't know if you can eliminate that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRQWt68Iul8

Bill

tgoodmann150069
03-30-2010, 01:40 AM
Bill,

That's funny; late last night I found the same video, and had to eat my words. I couldn't say for certain, but perhaps the roadster goes over better in Europe than it does here; the R850 in various configurations, including C and RT, lasted through 2006 over there. The reviewer seemed to prefer the R1200R to the Moto Guzzi, didn't he? The more I think about the bike, the more I want one! thanks for the link.

Tom

TexasT
03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
After wanting a BMW bike for months, and drooling over various models etc, I finally decided on my slightly broke in (151k miles) '07 R1200R. This bike has truly redefined and revolutionized my beliefs on motorcycling. I am not a veteran rider, nor have I been on any long trips, but this bike has really taught me to be a better rider in the short two weeks we've been on the road together!

I love it! Absolutely gives me more confidence and pleasure than any other ride I have been on. So much so, that I have planned out my first road trip, a 5k miler that I can not wait to get going on! Again, this is just the opinion of a newbie to bikes and BMW Motorrad, but I'm not planning on riding anything else! :german

T

sdpc2
03-30-2010, 06:00 PM
in three years......:scratch

TexasT
03-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Just goes to show the excellent durability and outstanding performance of these machines! And I am not saying any other BMW isn't as good, or this one is better than any other R, K, F, etc. I was immediately put into contact with the first owner of the bike by some great folks on the site here, and got his personal view of the machine and a very good overview of the maintenance done.

He traded the bike in on a 2010 R1200R, to keep burnin' up roads on the great Roadster! This bike came with immaculate records, the previous owner was extremely good not only about the maintenance, but also the record keeping. This machine has certainly been there and done that, and I have had 0 problems or worries with it in these 2 weeks and 600+ miles. I love the Roadster, and when this one is ready to join me in retirement, I too will purchase another!

Goes to prove the durability in craftsmanship, the excellence in the people that ride and love them, and the dependability that one expects from the great history of BMW Motorrad!

Here's a Prost to the Roadster and all BMW machines! :drink

T

bmwrebel
03-31-2010, 12:54 AM
I got a 2008 R1200R last year and :danceI love it.:heart Light, fast, responsive. and elagent. The only complaints, the seat, it was designed by the son of a sadistic gestapo interagator. When work picks up, I am getting a Bill Myers with a passanger seat part that a lady can sit on all day. The horn was the first thing I replaced, the OEM frauline fart just does not make it, Duel Steibes mounted on the windshield bracket, now thats a blast. Put a windshield of your choice and you are ready for cross country. It came with the small BMW windshield, another joke. I have a ZTechnik it is good, but I will get the taller one, I am 6.0 feet tall. I have a Givi box on the back and throw over bags for now, Givi hard bags when work picks up. With my kid brother on the back going to a party,:bolt the bike did not even feel him. It goes like a bat out of hell. The ease of working on it is great, easer then my K75S, no belly pan. It gets complimented where ever I go. :thumb I still love the K75S, but the R1200R is my bike now. The tank is plenty big enough. The full dressers do not interest me and the GS is to tall and heavy. The R R reminds me of how much fun my first BMW was back in 1975 when I was blasting around on a 1972 R75/5. Long live the roadsters.

blueviewlaguna
03-31-2010, 02:27 AM
I got my new 2010 R1200R 5 days ago (331 miles now) - I just can't stop riding it!, what a terrific bike, long live the BMW boxer roadsters....

04-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Just goes to show the excellent durability and outstanding performance of these machines! ...
Here's a Prost to the Roadster and all BMW machines! :drink

There is a gentleman posting on ADVrider who has over 400,000 miles on an 1100 GS. They can go the distance if you take care of them.

Great buy on that R bike, TexasT !

Joe

ka5ysy
04-05-2010, 02:12 PM
If you can't visually distinguish between a GS and a Roadster, I'd suggest your eyeglass prescription might be out of date.. :) If you mean difficult to distinguish the useability of the two - I'd agree.

Perhaps the confusion that occurs is a result of a lot of us adding the GS handguards and some windscreens a lot taller than normal. I have had people ask me how I like the "GS" all the time, and the visual clue they are looking at is the handguards first and the cylinder protection (SW-MOTECH), so the confusion probably has a good basis.

We RR drivers have a "RT-Lite": Same luggage, less weight, more satisfying :dance

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/ka5ysy/BMW-1.jpg

deilenberger
04-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Funny incident yesterday..

It was a stellar day for a ride in NJ, so I went for a pre-Easter-dinner ride...

During the ride, as I was stopped at a stop-sign at an intersection, I spotted a BMW Z8 (think BMW's idea to compete with Ferrari - and quite rare) go past, top down.

I pulled out and kept behind him - a respectful distance - but keeping up since even the rear view of a Z8 is enough to get me minorly excited.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/BMW_Z8.jpg/800px-BMW_Z8.jpg

He pulled up to a traffic light, and pulled into the right lane to turn right, I was going straight - so pulled up next to him in the left lane. Middle aged chap, appeared well able to afford the Z8 (and trophy-female in seat next to him..), we ended up having a nice chat. I was interested in his Z8, and he wanted to know all about the R12R - as he put it "Gotta get one.. I'm not doing Harley.. It's good on the back roads?"

So - one more order for BMW for the bike that sells itself. :dance

Trickster
04-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Don,
When I first scrolled down, I thought it was a Miata, then noticed the emblems.
Then while scrutinizing the pic, the backend looks kinda Cobra-like, and the front-end kinda Ferrari-esque.

Maybe you coulda swapped the rides for a bit, and if you had only 1 helmet, the trophy would be with you. LMAO:whistle

Awesome looking ride worth how much?

mistercindy
04-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I love the R12R. I've been a naked bike guy my entire life. I enjoyed my R1150R. The only reason I have the R12GS is that I test rode the first used one that was for sale at my local dealership (October of 2005), and fell in love with the powerplant. Had the R12R been for sale at the time I would have bought it. Instead, I bought that R12GS and have been very happy with it. But if I had to part with my R12GS I'd look hard at the R12R as a replacement.

I also have a friend who totaled a K1200RS (earlier model) and replaced it with an R12R. He swears its the best all-round bike he's ever owned.

I can only think of a couple of concerns with the R12R:

I do quite a bit of 400 mile days, and I like decent protection. My 12GS's Aeroflow completely transformed the bike, so I admit to drinking the Aeroflow Kool-Aid. But if you look at the Aeroflow site of bikes for which they make shields, the R1200R is noticeable absent (LINK (http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/products.htm)). Its odd, because the R12R has been out for several years, and Aeroflow has a history of making a shield for the roadster (R850R, R1100R, R1150R, etc...). I'd be far more certain of the R12R being my next bike if I knew I could depend on an Aeroflow in front of me.
I don't know personally about the R12R, but the headlight on the R1150R was awful. It was a serious weakness, IMHO, on an otherwise superb machine. The R12GS's stock lighting is dramatically better. I understand having the round headlight for that retro look. But does that have to mean that the headlight's effectiveness must be on a par with 40 year old bikes? Why won't BMW put a modern double bulb housing in it? And if it can't be done then, in the great BMW tradition of form following function, perhaps the perfectly round configuration needs to go.

Otherwise, I love the look (particularly the black with the white pinstriping), and I know from personal experience that the powerplant is superb.

The only complaints, the seat, it was designed by the son of a sadistic gestapo interagator.
The unridable saddle is a proud BMW tradition.

rdsmith3
04-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I love the R12R. I've been a naked bike guy my entire life. I enjoyed my R1150R. ...

I don't know personally about the R12R, but the headlight on the R1150R was awful. It was a serious weakness, IMHO, on an otherwise superb machine. The R12GS's stock lighting is dramatically better. I understand having the round headlight for that retro look. But does that have to mean that the headlight's effectiveness must be on a par with 40 year old bikes? Why won't BMW put a modern double bulb housing in it? And if it can't be done then, in the great BMW tradition of form following function, perhaps the perfectly round configuration needs to go.
[/LIST]
Otherwise, I love the look (particularly the black with the white pinstriping), and I know from personal experience that the powerplant is superb.

I've spent a lot of time improving the lighting on my R1150R. I added relays and a better H4 bulb for the main headlight (Philips Xtreme Power). I have fork-mounted Motolights with yellow bulbs for conspicuity and cornering lighting. I have Hella Optilux driving lights wired into the high beam circuit for the deer-infested back roads of NJ.

http://rdsmith3.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Machines/BMW0405084/275040669_RzswK-M.jpg

deilenberger
04-05-2010, 04:39 PM
I can only think of a couple of concerns with the R12R:

I do quite a bit of 400 mile days, and I like decent protection. My 12GS's Aeroflow completely transformed the bike, so I admit to drinking the Aeroflow Kool-Aid. But if you look at the Aeroflow site of bikes for which they make shields, the R1200R is noticeable absent

He may have decided not to compete in an already crowded field.. there are about 10 different shields/fairings made for the R12R now, including ones from Parabellum, Hannigan, Cee-Bailey, Wunderlich, etc. No dearth of choices.

(LINK (http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/products.htm)). Its odd, because the R12R has been out for several years, and Aeroflow has a history of making a shield for the roadster (R850R, R1100R, R1150R, etc...). I'd be far more certain of the R12R being my next bike if I knew I could depend on an Aeroflow in front of me.

BMW did put a modern dual-bulb headlight on it - there are dual H11 bulbs in the round reflector - one above the other. Each has it's own reflector (miracles of computer engineering..) and both are used on high-beam. There are also some good choices for aftermarket lighting available..

The unridable saddle is a proud BMW tradition.Black with White is the fastest too.. :bolt

mistercindy
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
He may have decided not to compete in an already crowded field.. there are about 10 different shields/fairings made for the R12R now, including ones from Parabellum, Hannigan, Cee-Bailey, Wunderlich, etc. No dearth of choices.
True for the 12GS shield, too. All of those manufacturers (not sure about Hannigan, though, which is a very unusual product) and many more make screens, shields and half-fairings for the 12GS. Actually, I can't think of a motorcycle with more overall farkle competition than the GS and the GSA.

I called Aeroflow and they said an R12R screen is in the works, but that they are waiting on somebody willing to let them use an R1200R as a mule. That's a big deal because whoever volunteers is making quite a commitment. I remember a wonderful thread in ADVrider written by the guy who let his R12GS be used as the Aeroflow mule. Aeroflow really puts bike and shield through the wringer. They spends lots of time and money on research and development. Its why their products work so well. Hopefully somebody volunteers an R1200R!

deilenberger
04-06-2010, 05:42 PM
True for the 12GS shield, too. All of those manufacturers (not sure about Hannigan, though, which is a very unusual product) and many more make screens, shields and half-fairings for the 12GS. Actually, I can't think of a motorcycle with more overall farkle competition than the GS and the GSA.
The difference is - market. The GS/GSA is BMW's biggest selling bike. You go where the market is.

I called Aeroflow and they said an R12R screen is in the works, but that they are waiting on somebody willing to let them use an R1200R as a mule. That's a big deal because whoever volunteers is making quite a commitment. I remember a wonderful thread in ADVrider written by the guy who let his R12GS be used as the Aeroflow mule. Aeroflow really puts bike and shield through the wringer. They spends lots of time and money on research and development. Its why their products work so well. Hopefully somebody volunteers an R1200R!
I can't imagine loaning them my bike. Seems WAY too altruistic. They are in business to make money. Expenses are a normal business item. There are places that RENT R1200R's in California.. so renting one might be the way for them to get their test mule.

FWIW - other shield manufacturers use a different model. CalSci looks for knowledgeable people who are willing to install/ride-with/report back on test design shields for the model bike they're working on. They look for several people since different people will have different results depending on their height on the bike. I know because I was one of the testers for their R1200R shield.

Just curious - did Aeroflow say what mount they were going to use for their shield?

mistercindy
04-07-2010, 04:31 PM
The difference is - market. The GS/GSA is BMW's biggest selling bike. You go where the market is.
I actually expected them to say that was the reason there was no shield for the R12R. But the answer about the lack of mule was immediate. But I'm sure the market plays a role. So few people bought the R12ST that it'd make no sense to develop a shield for it.

I can't imagine loaning them my bike. Seems WAY too altruistic. They are in business to make money. Expenses are a normal business item. There are places that RENT R1200R's in California.. so renting one might be the way for them to get their test mule.
I wouldn't do it either, unless part of the mule experience is that the owner plays an active part, and he's not without his bike a lot. If that were the case then it might be a cool learning experience.

FWIW - other shield manufacturers use a different model. CalSci looks for knowledgeable people who are willing to install/ride-with/report back on test design shields for the model bike they're working on. They look for several people since different people will have different results depending on their height on the bike. I know because I was one of the testers for their R1200R shield.
I don't know exactly how they use the mule. I recall from that old ADVrider thread regarding the R12GS mule, that the owner had his bike a lot, took notes and pictures, reported back, and Aeroflow had it a lot, too. But I don't remember the details. I may do a search and re-read it. I remember that it had quite an impact on me, as it was a big reason I took the plunge and bought an Aeroflow.

It does seem odd that Aeroflow couldn't buy and depreciate a no-frills stock R12R, use it to develop their product, then sell it as a low mileage used bike with over two years of factory warranty left. I really don't know enough about them to know how or why they operate the way they do.

Just curious - did Aeroflow say what mount they were going to use for their shield?
No, the conversation never got that detailed.