PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle insurance? newbie to the BMW owner fraternity

PHMARVIN
01-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Yeah, my bike insurance is up for renewal in May. I have some comparison shopping to do before then.

01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah, my bike insurance is up for renewal in May. I have some comparison shopping to do before then.

That's all I've been trying to tell people. Shop around.

Instead of the fictional "Flo" on TV, you may very likely get a better deal, and better service from a very real "Pam" or "Jeanette" when you meet them face to face.

mccodavj
01-24-2010, 07:37 PM
that could be a VERY major mistake, for relatively small up-front costs.
Don't know about Texas, but CO, which requires all vehicles/drivers to carry insurance, estimates that about 1/3 of all CO drivers carry no insurance. I would think that Texas might not be far off those numbers. If one of them hits you- you are up the proverbial with no paddle.
you really should consider doing something about that.

Since I have Collision and Comprehensive coverage on the bikes, as well as health insurance through my work, what exposure do I have by not taking Uninsured and Under-Insured coverage?

Even if an accident isn't my fault, wouldn't the comprehensive coverage pay for the repairs to my bike (minus the deduictible)? My health insurance would cover any medical expenses - yes I would have a co-pay. If I'm off-work I have Short Term and Long Term pay insurance.

Is there something that I have overlooked? (Better to find out now and have a chance to do something about it.)

Thanks.

eddiepat62
07-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Boy, did I screw up by signing with the BMW MOA approved insurer.

Been almost a month and still no policy in the mail - or insurance cards.

Had to make a claim on Monday. Oops. Gee, they were closed and no one on call to deal with claims issues. :cry
Markel uses a "local" claims representative company whose sole purpose seems to be to stall. I've already caught her in a lie. :nono

4 days and no appraiser at the dealership yet. They sent me a auto accident report from and told me I had to fill it out before they would move forward - This although Markel had all information via email and telephone..
Told me that I had to provide receipts for any gear that needs to be replaced. The actual Markel rep said he'd 'work with me" on that one.:bow

Oh, and they weren't the cheapest - I believed the MOA endorsement actually meant something.

ted
07-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I won't comment on the "endorsement" other than to say I raised several serious concerns with the appropriate BMW MOA people when Markel registered "bmwmoainsurance.com" and basically copied the look, intellectual property and branding of the BMW MOA and BMW MOA website - all of which were acknowledged but, well, ignored. For what it is worth, my concerns persist to this day.

That said, I have been through the claims process with Progressive and am to this day an extremely happy customer. Too late for you I am afraid.

You might try e-mailing the MOA Exec Director Ray Zimmerman (cc: the elected leadership) with your concerns.

osbornk
07-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Since I have Collision and Comprehensive coverage on the bikes, as well as health insurance through my work, what exposure do I have by not taking Uninsured and Under-Insured coverage?

Even if an accident isn't my fault, wouldn't the comprehensive coverage pay for the repairs to my bike (minus the deduictible)? My health insurance would cover any medical expenses - yes I would have a co-pay. If I'm off-work I have Short Term and Long Term pay insurance.

Is there something that I have overlooked? (Better to find out now and have a chance to do something about it.)

Thanks.

This response is long overdue. What you have overlooked is compensation for serious permanent injuries or death. What compensation would you or your family receive if you are paralized, lose a limb, die or are disabled? Uninsured and underinsured insurance steps in where the other party's insurance would. You would be paid for your pain and suffering, expenses for living disabled and for your loss of income. I have high limits just for that reason. I have a friend that recently found out that his long term disability insurance was not as he thought it was. They found a loophole and cut his off even though he wasn't able to work (and he worked for an insurance company).

ANDYVH
07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
I just got my bill from Dairyland, on my 94 R1100RSA I have 12 month coverage, the usual 100/300 in the critical coverages, 50,000 in liability, $500 deductible on comp and collision. I am a MSF instructor of 17 years, been with MOA and AMA for over 20 years, clean record, riding in east central Wisconsin. Been with Dairyland 15 years, and my recent bill is $184.64.

I got comparison quotes from Markel, Progressive and Geico, all three were between $243 to $265 per year for the exact same coverage.

Looking at my past Dairyland rates, for the exact same coverage:
2004 $179.40
2007 $134.00
2008 $146.44
2009 $249.24 (no citations or claims, it just went 70% up. I negotiated it back down to $157.36, a 7% increase)
2010 $184.64

I understand market fluctuations. I have made NO claims, ever, and had NO citations since 1995. So, to me a repeat customer with no claims and a perfect record should get rates that increase at most 5% per year, year to year comparison. But if it were 5% every year, ten years of coverage does not justify a 50% increase, like that 70% increase they tried to hit me with in 2009. Of course, I didn't comment/complain back in 2007 when it went down 25%. So looking at 2004 to 2010, I am only at a 2.9% increase. I can live with that. I do carry a lot of coverage on a 94 bike, but insurance is a necessary evil.

DXMENON
07-25-2010, 01:39 AM
You can't go wrong with Progressive. I obtained a great rate. I can also tell you that they have excellent claims service. Progressive is the #1 motorcycle insurer in the country. I'm in the insurance business but I don't work for Progressive. :wave

mpmarty
07-28-2010, 11:58 PM
All of my insurance, auto, homeowners and motorcycle is with USAA. When I killed an Antelope out of season in May they were absolutely the greatest. Claims service is 24/7 and the appraiser was there at the shop waiting for my bike to be towed in. Shop hadn't written an estimate yet but the appraiser told them to "fix it and send him the totals". He even paid the $800 tow bill up front. For towing and road service I have AMA membership that includes it.:bikes

Rpbump
07-30-2010, 03:01 AM
I have had Allstate Ins on my car for over 25 years. When I mentioned owning a bike to my local Allstate Rep he was able to beat my Progressive mc insurance by approx $100. I also buy MEDJET which covers large expenses if you have an accident far from home. Ride Safe :usa :usa

crazydrummerdude
07-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Progressive has the best rates for me.. but, damn, I've spent ~$1600 insuring my motorcycle(s) so far and I don't even get a free toaster or anything for renewing year after year.

Sucks to have to pay so much for something you're supposed to never use.

GIZMO
07-30-2010, 04:36 PM
I've been with the Markel for, wow, probably 15 or 20 years ÔÇö long before I bought a BMW bike ÔÇö and never have had even the slightest problem. Then again, I've never filed a claim. All these posts might have me looking at Progressive, though.

Certainly worth checking, but Progressive is not alway's the least expensive. I had Progressive a few years ago as they were the least expensive at the time, but overtime I have found them to be higher than other quotes I have received. Also I found Merkel higher than Progressive & other quotes I have received.