PDA

View Full Version : 70's BMW racer Liz Wimmett?

JohnM
09-09-2009, 07:23 PM
This is a reach-out to some of you "vintage" racers (and I'm one of you!)

Back in the late 70s, around the same time that Butler & Smith were dominating AMA Superbike, a young lady named Liz Wimmett successfully raced a BMW R90 in some northeast club events (WERA & AAMRR).

I recall her winning a `77 event at Pocono ... prob in the Junior Class.

Wonder if anyone here remembers her. Just a long shot request.

BeemerSue
09-22-2009, 01:06 AM
I do remember Liz. I raced a Yamaha RD250 production in WERA in the late
1970's and Liz raced WERA then too. She was a fast one, but everyone looked fast to me then.
Does anyone remember Gina Bovard? I think the spelling is correct. She left US ametuer racing to try her hand in Europe--never heard of her again.

535IS
09-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Does anyone remember Gina Bovard? I think the spelling is correct. She left US ametuer racing to try her hand in Europe--never heard of her again.

One minute of Googling around tells me your spelling is a little off: 'Bovaird'. Gina is about 58, having been mentioned as 30 in a 1980 article about her racing. A German Wiki article says she and her husband/tuner tried racing until about 1982 in Europe.

Another four minutes turns her up on Facebook as Gina Durfee (mentioned in a Cycle World article). She apparently divorced, but is 'friended' to a Jacqueline Bovaird - her daughter?

Whiplash
09-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Gina raced a few different bikes and classes.
Here is a link to some pictures.
www.highsider.com/textlager/usa_textlager/Bovaird_82_01.htm