PDA

View Full Version : System Sidecase Oops

swall
06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
I made a run with my R1200R to the Ace Hardware today to pick up a roller and steel roller pan. It kind of/nearly fit into the BMW system side case. So, I did a cram job. I knew this was a bad idea, but did it anyway. I got the lid closed but only the rear latched locked. I tried a re-do and found the latch release mechanism jammed. I tried the lid and it seemed like it would be OK for my 7 mile ride home. Got home and had to depress the key/latch release button while I used a screw driver to gently pry up the opening "paddle". Got the bag open OK and didn't break anything. I won't try this again.

texanrt
06-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Found the latch release mechanism jammed. I tried the lid and it seemed like it would be OK for my 7 mile ride home. Got home and had to depress the key/latch release button while I used a screw driver to gently pry up the opening "paddle". Got the bag open OK and didn't break anything. I won't try this again.

I had this happen to me also when I've tightly packed the bags -- I had to push against the lid (leaning against it while it was still attached to the bike) to take some tension off of the latches before the "paddle" would move.

Does anybody apply a lubricant to the sidecase latching mechanism to keep it moving freely? If so, what kind?