PDA

View Full Version : Gravel/sand tires?

BordenBmw
06-05-2009, 01:53 PM
From my house to the paved road, I have to drive on gravel/sand for about a 1.5 km. I just wore my rear Roadsmart at 11k km which is less then the 12k km on the Z6 and the 15k km on the PR. So now I'm looking for something better on the gravel/sand but was still good on paved. I’m looking at the Dunlop D616 or the Pirelli Sync. I drive a R1200ST with a 120 front and 180 rear. I think those would be good for someone going to Alaska. Anybody used them before on their Hexhead?

Polarbear
06-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Nice bike, but apparently you have the wrong model. GSA in your future? Get one of these and you can live "further" off road:). Happy Trails, Randy GSA1200:thumb :usa

swall
06-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Waiting to see how this thread develops. I have an R1200R and would have no qualms about taking it to Alaska. But, a pair of dualsport tires would seem appropriate.

BordenBmw
06-06-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm starting to think about owning a GS. But I still like a Sport-Touring bike. Over the years I went from sport to sport-touring. My next step may be Adventure-Touring.:dance I'm also looking at installing some crash bars.

mjuskiw
06-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Not an expert; but my GS has Metzler Tourances on it
no bad experiences

I think they are 70% on road but can handle the gravel.

Can you just ride thru the yard ?

Mjuskiw
Akron Ohio

BordenBmw
06-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I've no problems taking my bike every day unless it is raining and muddy, than I would normally take the car. I purchased a new house just over a year ago; very nice place but a small way to the main road. I just have to go slow and to pay attention till I'm the paved road. With normal road tire driving on gravel feels like driving on ball bearings and sand like I’m driving with a ski in the front. I just would like more traction. :banghead I checked on the Metzeler website and the tourance don't come in a 120 front 170/180 rear on a 17" rim. Because of the size I'm have limited choices.

Polarbear
06-07-2009, 09:03 PM
A bit of a pain in the rear:). Let the air down to 20 lbs and you'll feel a noticable improvement on gravel with any bike. Once back on the hard though, you need air! Therefore the pain factor. Randy. We do this frequently, riding GS's offroad very far. I carry a electric pump, for the acces.plug:). Randy:thumb

BordenBmw
06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
PolarBear, what is the pressure are you runing on the paved? Also how about the front, does it stay the same? thanks

tyler73
06-14-2009, 07:17 AM
PolarBear, what is the pressure are you runing on the paved? Also how about the front, does it stay the same? thanks

Air both down to 20# (not an exact figure). The softer pressure allows tires to let small pebbles, stones, sticks, etc. to push into the tire. High pressures keep the stones out and they will roll out from under the tire causing instability.

Basically the lower pressure puts more surface area of the tire on the ground.

Don't forget to air up or you're tires will be toast quickly on pavement. I wouldn't bother for 1.5K at the beginning or end of a journey.

FredRydr
06-16-2009, 03:18 AM
The ST is a fantastic bike, and I think you'd be nuts to trade it for a GS just to tackle 1.5km of unpaved driveway. I ride a GS with TKC80 tires, but more often, I take the R1200R out my 0.6km unpaved drive for riding on its Conti RoadAttacks. Sure the tires make for an interesting ride in the gravel, but I just keep the speed up on the soft bits. If I was heading for Alaska, I'd take the GS.

Fred
'09 F800GS
'07 R1200R

liv2ryd
06-17-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm starting to think about owning a GS. But I still like a Sport-Touring bike. Over the years I went from sport to sport-touring. My next step may be Adventure-Touring.:dance I'm also looking at installing some crash bars.

Trust me, the GS IS a sport-touring bike. It's just not quite as pretty. It also happens to be able to handle less-than ideal conditions admirably as well. Took mine to AK and attacked the Chief Joseph Highway out of Yellowstone with worn tires and a full load of gear on the way home.:clap

akbeemer
06-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Checkout the Dunlop 616. Fits the R/ST/RT and is advertised as a street tire, but it is closer to a dual sport tire than any other street tire I've seen.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=93