PDA

View Full Version : ESA Bulletin and warning

mpmarty
06-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Well it's been nearly three weeks now and the dealership has now got four rear shocks on hand, none of which will work on my 2006 RT! After many discussions with BMW in Germany it was finally decided that the warranty work will include replacing the computer Z** something or other in order for it to accept a two wire rear shock. My original shock has three wires and BMW doesn't seem to have access to these any longer. All rear ESA shocks are now two wire.

Owners of 05 - 07 RTs with ESA be warned! If you need to replace a rear shock you will also have to buy the new computer.

Good grief. I'm very glad the bike is still under factory warranty.

New computer is due in next week from Germany and I'll go back for the necessary replacements. This should be interesting. I wonder what incompatibilities will be found with the new computer?

Semper_Fi
06-04-2009, 09:51 AM
MPMarty - is the 3/2 wire connector at the ZFE module or at the shock? Glad yours is getting fixed

Motorwerk
06-04-2009, 04:31 PM
A similar situation with replacing mine as well.

The shock was replaced but the ZFE did not recognize it after several attempts. The ZFE was replaced and it still was not recognized - that is until I told them to change the type of shock it was looking for. Miraculously, the ZFE was able to recognize and calibrate the new shock.

With the wire change came the shock calibration change - it needs to be told its a different shock it's trying to calibrate.

mpmarty
06-04-2009, 07:57 PM
The original shock that failed and the ZFE connector have three leads. The replacement shocks all have only two leads. The new ZFE coming will have a two lead connector.

Semper_Fi
06-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks

kthutchinson
06-05-2009, 11:15 AM
The original shock that failed and the ZFE connector have three leads. The replacement shocks all have only two leads. The new ZFE coming will have a two lead connector.

It's interesting that a new ZFE is required. My R11200ST doe not have ESA, but I decided to look at the BMW SLP (Wiring Diagram CD) to see what you folks were talking about. My CD is dated 07/2007, so it doesn't cover the '08 or '09 models. For the RT and ST, up to and including model year 2006, the diagrams show 3 leads for the rear spring preload sensor. But for 2007 it shows either 2 or 3 leads for the same sensor. It also shows the 2-lead shock plugging into the 3-lead harness. The difference would seem to be software, not the connector. Perhaps your dealer cannot reprogram the ZFE software for the newer 2-lead shock, hence the need for a new ZFE.

mpmarty
06-05-2009, 03:20 PM
The difference would seem to be software, not the connector. Perhaps your dealer cannot reprogram the ZFE software for the newer 2-lead shock, hence the need for a new ZFE.

The dealership, one of the best equipped "exclusive" BMW M/C shops tried that while on the 'phone with Stuttgart for several hours. Stuttgart finally figured out the original ZFE cannot accept two wire data communication. Perhaps the later ZFEs were able to but mine is not. There are several idiosyncrasies on my '06 RT like that. For one thing it has the '07 brake system without the servo motor. I'm wondering what will show up when the new ZFE is installed:banghead

Motorwerk
06-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, keep in mind when the ZFE is replaced it needs to be programmed. Each one is unique depending on the options on your bike so you will probably get the latest software updates that go with it.

It worked out well for me since the bike actually ran better with the updates.

rglassma
06-07-2009, 02:05 PM
I have an '05 with ESA. I was considering the performance works after market shock with ESA. Does anyone know if this will be an issue with this shock when my original shock needs replacement?