PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure Monitor failing

RTRandy
06-03-2009, 06:20 PM
I realize the majority of RT owners didn't opt for the TPM option when they bought their bike so unfortunately there are not a lot of us with this option.

Here's the problem for anyone who might have the same issue and knows the solution:

I first set out on a ride with the TPM showing pressure in front and rear. Within about 20 minutes on the road, the front indication goes blank. A short time after, the rear indication does the same and I end up with the yellow warning triangle for the rest of the ride along with a cross section of a tire showing with an explanation mark inside.

My dealer says there are no bulletins on my bike's Vin # so no clue as to what's going on. They have a tester which is held next to the tire to see if the sensors are reading and both checked out ok.

I recently put my first set of replacement tires on ( the problem started before this) and when the dealer removed my original factory installed tires, there was a ton of what appeared to be like a talcum powder inside both front and rear. We are guessing some kind of powder to make mounting easier at the factory??? In any case, we tried to blow all of the powder off the rims and the two monitors thinking this might have been clogging the monitors, however the problem still persists.

Anyone have knowledge of this issue? My next step is to have the dealer run a diagnostic and check the fault codes. Surprised I'm the only one with this problem.

LONERANGER
06-03-2009, 06:52 PM
My 08 RT is doing the same thing. I had a flat tire 2weeks ago and had a new rear tire mounted. Everything was ok at first but then the TPM indicators are blank and the yellow triangle is lite but not flashing. I was riding the bike last Sunday and it was ok at first but after about an hour of riding the TPM indicators showed blank again and the yellow triangle was on again. I haven't contacted my dealer yet but I was thinking it might be some kind of problem with the radio signal between the wheel and the receiver on the bike. Does anyone know where the signal receiver on the bike is located?

andrewsi
06-03-2009, 08:19 PM
The TPM receiver is at the very rear of the bike, visible if you take off the rear seat and look aft. Looks like it was manufactured by Schrader for BMW (at least on the '09s.)

The senders have their own batteries, since they're sealed inside the tire. I took a look in the Reprom disc and it seems that the testing tool can tell the dealer whether the battery is OK or not, the whole sensor gets replaced when it dies, and it doesn't look like the battery is meant to be field-replaceable. Then the transmitter has to be registered with the receiver unit, which also takes the dealer's diagnostic tools. I think this one's likely to be a trip to the dealer no matter what. Hopefully it's under warranty.

RTRandy
06-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Mine is an 08 with 10k on the clock so still under warranty. Mentioning that the transmitter has to be registered with the receiver may be where the issue is since the batteries on the sensors are showing good. Like I said, just surprised this hasn't come up before as a known issue.

I'll definitely report back once I get the verdict at the dealer.

tlcoulter
06-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Mine is an 08 with 10k on the clock so still under warranty. Mentioning that the transmitter has to be registered with the receiver may be where the issue is since the batteries on the sensors are showing good. Like I said, just surprised this hasn't come up before as a known issue.

I'll definitely report back once I get the verdict at the dealer.
I installed a BMW Alarm unit, and the dealer "programmed" it. The alarm is in the same box as the TPM, so the combined unit replaces the TPM unit. When the mechanic took it on a test ride the alarm worked, but the TPM didn't. He registered the sensors, and that fixed it. They've worked fine, so far at least, since.

HOKIE
06-06-2009, 12:27 PM
I have an 08 Rt and have had the same issues with the front and rear sensors cutting in and out. Some times both are not registering and I get the dreaded yellow triangle. (I guess the bike thinks one flat is OK). I had my dealer look at the problem and they replaced the sensors. I am still having the same problem. They say the next step is to replace the computer!

andrewsi
03-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Don't take that from the dealer. You paid for it, it's under warranty, and you shouldn't put have to put up with intermittent operation - it works fine on many other bikes, including mine.

pch123
03-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? My 08 does the same thing and it's done it since new. The dealer says there is no fix and I will have to live with it. I don't like that answer. If it's on a new bike under warranty it should work.

I have
I have a 2008 RT with the same issue. After a period of time the front TPM would stop registering and a little later the rear would and the orange warning triangle would come on. Especially prevalent IF i travelled greater than 75mph.
The dealer changed the front sender.. still happened...
I had a BMW alarm fitted after original purchase of the bike. The controller is in the tail section and combines TPM and alarm in one unit.
My dealer discovered that their had been a part number change for the controller unit and enquired why. Turns out some TPM were faulty, so a new part number issued. He fitted a new one again under warranty and the Problem is FIXED. Works fine for last 5000 miles.
So go tell your dealer to do some more research. It is a known issue and easily fixed under warranty.
regards

LONERANGER
03-28-2010, 02:32 PM
My 08 has done the same thing since last May. It works intermittently and when the yellow triangle comes on it scares the hell out of me as I immediately think I have a flat tire. It has not done it for the last 2000 miles or so though. I am going into the dealer next month for a brake fluid change so I will ask the mechanic to take a look at it.

RTRandy
03-28-2010, 04:40 PM
I have a 2008 RT with the same issue. After a period of time the front TPM would stop registering and a little later the rear would and the orange warning triangle would come on. Especially prevalent IF i travelled greater than 75mph.
My dealer discovered that their had been a part number change for the controller unit and enquired why. Turns out some TPM were faulty, so a new part number issued. He fitted a new one again under warranty and the Problem is FIXED. Works fine for last 5000 miles.
So go tell your dealer to do some more research. It is a known issue and easily fixed under warranty.
regards

Any way to tell us what that correct part number is? Mine is still having the issue even though my dealer had attempted to fix it twice. Been trying to figure out what causes it to fail. It will be normal for about the first 20 minutes of riding and then first one readout goes blank and the the triangle. I was assuming it had something to do with tire temperature, but now I see it might have to do with speed.

In any case, sure would love to finally get that fixed.

PaulWitt
03-28-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm going to the dealer on Tuesday with all this new information. I'll let everyone know what they said. Seems like it's an issue with the 2008 and no other years. I've also noticed the following when it does go out.
It's usually on the highway when there are a lot of trucks around or when passing large cell phone towers. My conclusion was that there was probably interference from CB radios or cell towers.
Just my 2 cents worth

sfarson
03-28-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm going to the dealer on Tuesday with all this new information. I'll let everyone know what they said. Seems like it's an issue with the 2008 and no other years. I've also noticed the following when it does go out.
It's usually on the highway when there are a lot of trucks around or when passing large cell phone towers. My conclusion was that there was probably interference from CB radios or cell towers.
Just my 2 cents worth

I've printed this thread out to bring to the dealer. I started reporting this with my '07 early on... front wheel only, the yellow warning light comes on if at speed on a highway, after about 10-15 minutes. Dealer has been unable to solve, and BMW corp tech support hasn't been able to help. I gave up about a year ago and perhaps some information in this thread will help the dealer.

pch123
03-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Sorry don't know the part number of the new one.
I had it fitted last jan and it has been all ok ever since. Don't think it was electronic interference as it happened in the outback, hundreds of miles away from cell towers.
Mine was speed and temp induced.
Hope you all have the same success at getting it fixed as I have. BTW, my dealer rocks. Great Service manager, great team

regards
paul

pch123
03-28-2010, 10:13 PM
remember, mine had the combine BMW alarm and TPM module. That is what they changed. The alarm works slightly differently now as well. When I press the button, the lights flash twice ( as before) but there is no sounding of the horn now. In other words the alarm is a silent set.
maybe just a set up thing, but different before when the TPM was intermittent
regards

Motorwerk
03-29-2010, 12:23 AM
You are correct about the alarm setup. It can be set to either sound the horn or not to verify arming. It's covered in the alarm manual with other setting changes.

RTRandy
03-29-2010, 12:27 AM
I've printed this thread out to bring to the dealer. I started reporting this with my '07 early on... front wheel only, the yellow warning light comes on if at speed on a highway, after about 10-15 minutes. Dealer has been unable to solve, and BMW corp tech support hasn't been able to help. I gave up about a year ago and perhaps some information in this thread will help the dealer.

:lurk I'll be waiting and checking back to hear what you learn.

There were instructions from BMW that required the dealer to perform some kind of reprogramming and resetting of the bike's chip using that diagnostic computer they hook up to at the shop. It seemed to work for awhile, though the problem is back for sure.

I'm going to take my bike in once I get more info on the fix if anyone has one.

sfarson
04-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Well! For the first time in over three years I now ride the R1200RT without a yellow warning light! I am glad I stumbled across this thread. While stopping by the dealer noting there was possibly a fix (Problem... TPM could not read the front wheel pressure after a few minutes at speed), the service manager located a service bulletin dated 9/09 stating the problem exactly. The fix was swapping out the RDC/DWA Control Unit. There were nine updated control units in the warehouse. Though I'm out of the warranty period, the dealer had documentation noting I've been trying to get it solved since 2007. I gave up last summer. Anyway, the part arrived, BMW treated it as a valid warranty claim, it was placed, and I rode 50 miles home without a yellow light on the dash!!!

It's amazing how something simple like this can make you feel as though you're on a new/different bike.

XTrooper
04-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Well! For the first time in over three years I now ride the R1200RT without a yellow warning light! I am glad I stumbled across this thread. While stopping by the dealer noting there was possibly a fix (Problem... TPM could not read the front wheel pressure after a few minutes at speed), the service manager located a service bulletin dated 9/09 stating the problem exactly. The fix was swapping out the RDC/DWA Control Unit. There were nine updated control units in the warehouse. Though I'm out of the warranty period, the dealer had documentation noting I've been trying to get it solved since 2007. I gave up last summer. Anyway, the part arrived, BMW treated it as a valid warranty claim, it was placed, and I rode 50 miles home without a yellow light on the dash!!!

It's amazing how something simple like this can make you feel as though you're on a new/different bike.

Outstanding! Glad you finally got things sorted out. ;)

pch123
04-09-2010, 11:15 PM

So where are all those doom sayers, saying BMW doesn't care or look after their customers. Once again , shows the relationship with a dealer is the ANSWER.
Glad to see yours is fixed like mine was.
regards
paul

pch123
04-09-2010, 11:18 PM
You are correct about the alarm setup. It can be set to either sound the horn or not to verify arming. It's covered in the alarm manual with other setting changes.
Thanks for that. Done the adjustment and all fine. prefer a acoustic check the alarm is on.
thanks again
regards
paul:drink:drink

SirRonny
04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
I installed a BMW Alarm unit, and the dealer "programmed" it. The alarm is in the same box as the TPM, so the combined unit replaces the TPM unit. When the mechanic took it on a test ride the alarm worked, but the TPM didn't. He registered the sensors, and that fixed it. They've worked fine, so far at least, since.

Not to hijack this thread, but was just curious to know what the BMW alarm system cost added after the fact for those that have done it? I have an 08 RT that had every option but the alarm and have always wondered what it would cost to have it added. What is included in the system and it is something someone could do at home? Thanks for any and all info.

Ron

Motorwerk
04-10-2010, 06:47 PM
I have not done this myself as I already have one installed but the retrofit kit lists at about $400. You could easily install it yourself but a dealer would need to make the ZFE aware of the unit so labor would need to be added.

I believe there may be two different units, one with TPM and one without so be sure to get the appropriate one.

I would check with the dealer. Maybe they could even cut you a deal by pruchasing it from them.

PaulWitt
04-15-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm supposedly getting my 08 RT back today. THEY are saying the TPM problem is a faulty front tire pressure sensor. I sent the service manager this thread trying to explain that the fault seems to be solved by changing the TPM monitor and not the sensor but they refuse to change the monitor at this time. I'll let everyone know what happens on my side and I'm not confident at all that they will fix this. If they would ONLY listen.

mpmarty
04-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Just goes to prove that BMW is no better than the dealer you have to deal with. I'd be looking for another dealer.

PaulWitt
04-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Surprise! Went to pick the bike up today and after changing the front wheel sensor it still doesn't work. The TPM box is now on order. Just like I expected.

sfarson
04-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Paul... Glad the control unit is on its way. Before there was this fix I went through 2-3 front wheel sensors all with the same result. It was the new control unit that finally tracked the front wheel tire pressure correctly and did away with the dreaded yellow light warning.