PDA

View Full Version : Seat Protection/Maint.

PlaneGeek
05-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Good day all,

I'm a year round commuter here in the Willamette Valley. Here at work the bike is outdoors and exposed to 20 degree chills and 100 summer days. Needless to say we get a ton of rain so I don't want to carry a bike cover around with me. The last thing I want to do is stand out in the rain covering it and uncovering it, plus I don't want to stuff a wet cover in with the rest of my stuff.

I have no concerns for the bike as I regularly wash it to remove all the road grime it packs and keep it waxed to protect from the moisture. It dries out nicely every night as I have it garaged at home. The only exception to my lack of concern is the seat. As we all know Armor All is a bike no-no as it's slick as snot. I'm curious as to what products you use to preserve your saddles and help protect it from the elements.

Thanks!

Gnomad
05-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Jeff,

I just wash mine and then use saddle soap on a damp cloth. Carefully work the saddle soap in and then dry with a towel. It makes 'em look like new.

Dave

Semper_Fi
05-29-2009, 10:23 PM
I keep a half cover on the bike - got it stuffed in the glove box since i do not have a radio.

Else it is small enough to fold tightly and take up very little room in the saddle bag.

DXMENON
05-30-2009, 02:27 AM
i just bought a russell seat and along with the seat, they gave me a seat cover to protect it from the rain. The seat cover covers the seat and also my driver backrest. it packs in a small little pouch so it would protect your other gear. It has rained on the cover and the water will bead right off the cover so it won't be all that wet.

I assume that someone should sell a seat cover and/or you can call russell and they should sell you a cover. i think the cover with the backrest cost me $40 - a bit overpriced but.......

Bobmws
06-01-2009, 03:04 AM
Sno Seal, sold for waterproofing boots, works great on leather & vinyl seats. Wipe some on, hit it with a hair dryer until it liguifies and soaks into the seams. Be careful to keep the heat moving so you don't burn a hole in a vinyl seat! Let it dry then wipe of the excess with a cloth. Leaves the seat shiny but NOT slippery, and it won't transfer to clothing.