PDA

View Full Version : 05 RT Oil level sensor

Harrington
05-29-2009, 05:01 PM
I've been searching to find info on the fix for the error issue. I understand it's a float change out and computer software update. I've yet to find a threat that deals with it on a DIY basis. Has anybody changed the float out themselves and BTW where is it?

andrewsi
05-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Looking at the reprom disc for the 05 RT (1200, right?), all I see on the oil-level sensor is that it's on the right side of the crankcase, above where the oxygen sensor is inserted into the exhaust pipe. It's held into the crankcase with 2 M6x16 screws, torqued to 9nm. You just disconnect the plug at the end of the lead, take the sensor out, and replace it with a new one. There's no info I can see on the disk related to a separate float, computer reflash, or anything like that.

Harrington
05-29-2009, 06:13 PM
The reprom disc shows an oil pressure switch by the sight glass and an oil temperature sensor on the other side of the motor. Is the oil pressure switch doing double duty as a oil level indicator or is there another sensor?

andrewsi
05-29-2009, 06:20 PM
The reprom disc (procedure 12 61 066) specifically calls the thing on the right side of the crankcase, at the location I described, an "oil LEVEL sensor". It separately discusses the oil temp sensor under procedure 12 61 010, and it appears to be inserted higher up on the engine, you have to remove the intake air pipe to get to it. Again, we're talking about an R1200 RT here, right?

Harrington
05-29-2009, 07:03 PM
The reprom disc (procedure 12 61 066) specifically calls the thing on the right side of the crankcase, at the location I described, an "oil LEVEL sensor". It separately discusses the oil temp sensor under procedure 12 61 010, and it appears to be inserted higher up on the engine, you have to remove the intake air pipe to get to it. Again, we're talking about an R1200 RT here, right?

My bad. I wasn't looking at the vehicle specific information. Thanks for your patience.

andrewsi
05-29-2009, 07:14 PM
No worries! Just happy to help.

gfountain
05-30-2009, 01:48 AM
I will be anxious ot find out if you can correct the erroneous indicator. I have an 05 and had all the factory software changes and device changes done while the bike was under warranty. It still does not read accurately. I rely on the sight glass.

Harrington
05-30-2009, 02:17 AM
I will be anxious ot find out if you can correct the erroneous indicator. I have an 05 and had all the factory software changes and device changes done while the bike was under warranty. It still does not read accurately. I rely on the sight glass.

I probably won't replace the sending unit unless I know I can get the computer flashed. I'd probably just have the dealer do both if I knew it would work. Right now it's just a nuisance.

05-30-2009, 05:11 AM
My '07RT occassionally displays oil check or oil ---. Is this what you are referring to? :confused:

Motorwerk
05-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Normally, when the display shows --- it indicates that the engine is not warm enough for a correct reading or it can not get a reading to display.

An easy way to tell if the software was updated is it will no longer allow the oil check selection to be viewed while moving and only while stationary. The update coincided with the float change.

Harrington
05-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Normally, when the display shows --- it indicates that the engine is not warm enough for a correct reading or it can not get a reading to display.

An easy way to tell if the software was updated is it will no longer allow the oil check selection to be viewed while moving and only while stationary. The update coincided with the float change.

The error occurs while rolling and when coming to a stop. It happens well after the bike is warmed up. The oil level is approx. 80% of sight glass when this happens. I would like to have it happen when it's approx. 15% of sight glass. Right now it's a "Sky is falling" reading and dismissed as such.