PDA

View Full Version : final drive failures down?

maxscycle
05-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Is it me or has the number of final drive failures gone down. Don't seem to hear/read about them anymore?
max
06r12gs= 32,000 miles w no leaks
04r1150rt = 30,000 miles with no leaks

hlothery
05-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Just developed a leaking seal in my FD on my 05 RT, at 32K. Had it replaced - only about $109. No other problems (knock on wood!).

osbornk
05-28-2009, 01:38 PM
I belong to several other forums for trucks and cars. The complaints run in cycles (current hot topic). When I first got my F-150 a few years ago, you would have thought there was a differential problem on every one. That faded away and spark plug removal was a problem on every truck. Then it was transmissions, etc. When a problem comes up, it seems every one who has had the problem or knows someone who has had the problem chimes in and it seems like it is a disaster. When that problem runs a while, another problem is brought up and it starts all over again and the prior problem gets very little attention.

bluegrasspicker
05-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Is it me or has the number of final drive failures gone down. Don't seem to hear/read about them anymore?
max
06r12gs= 32,000 miles w no leaks
04r1150rt = 30,000 miles with no leaks

writers cramp? :whistle

LONERANGER
05-28-2009, 04:31 PM
I belong to several other forums for trucks and cars. The complaints run in cycles (current hot topic). When I first got my F-150 a few years ago, you would have thought there was a differential problem on every one. That faded away and spark plug removal was a problem on every truck. Then it was transmissions, etc. When a problem comes up, it seems every one who has had the problem or knows someone who has had the problem chimes in and it seems like it is a disaster. When that problem runs a while, another problem is brought up and it starts all over again and the prior problem gets very little attention.

Exactly! I have belonged to a few motorcycle and scooter forums over the years. No matter what bike I was riding at the time if I went to a forum there was always some major problem with the bike that riders were complaining about. I remember when I had my 06 Goldwing everyone was complaining about the front fork wobble. They were spending up to $2,400 to have the springs replaced with a aftermarket setup. I have stopped for gas and have had a few riders with other bikes comment to me that they would like to have a 1200RT but they hear that the final drives are a real problem and BMW will not replace them. A small problem that affects a few bikes develops into a major rumor against the RT.

cjack
05-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Just developed a leaking seal in my FD on my 05 RT, at 32K. Had it replaced - only about $109. No other problems (knock on wood!).

Note the reduced gear oil refil quantity (180ml instead of 230ml) to reduce the seal leaking issues.

Harrington
05-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I dropped mine off at the shop yesterday for a leaking seal. I was riding the other day and would occassional smell hot oil. I had just changed my trans oil and figured a little had hit the pipes and was burning off. I didn't see anything until the next morning. A small amount had drooled down the FD. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. This was supposed to be my riding week off. I'm glad I chose day trips instead of Utah.

hlothery
05-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Note the reduced gear oil refil quantity (180ml instead of 230ml) to reduce the seal leaking issues.

Jack,

I had heard that. Interestingly, the dealer had just changed the fluid in the FD about three weeks prior to the seepage developing. I wondered if there was a connection, but the dealer certainly did not mention it. I am leaving in two weeks on a trip to Colorado, so the seal change was the prudent thing to do. If one develops a seepage after putting in too much fluid, is the seal change necessary?

Thanks,

henzilla
05-28-2009, 10:56 PM

I refilled an early '08 R1200R today with 180ml...it didn't even drip out of the drainplug (which was still in the 3 O'clock position) I had loose to vent it. In the past I had to close the drain before completing the fill on another '07 R1200R. Now that was on a R...the older Hex GS and I believe the RT has a slight different angle on the 3 O'clock drain due to suspension differences , My '05 RT dribbled out before I was full also. I will check that out on another model soon with the new spec volume. Won't be able to see that on the '09 model with the bottom plug.

akbeemer
05-29-2009, 12:25 AM
So this raises the question of whether or not you can now add the 180ml of fluid through the drain plug on pre-08 RTs. Does this mean we no longer need to add the fluid through the speed sensor hole?

Semper_Fi
05-29-2009, 12:57 AM
So this raises the question of whether or not you can now add the 180ml of fluid through the drain plug on pre-08 RTs. Does this mean we no longer need to add the fluid through the speed sensor hole?

Kevin - go check out the DYI for 2009 Fluid Change, the fill process for the 09 is by removing a bolt at around the 10 o'clcok position and inserting the fluid there.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35625

The only thing is if you don't have the drain at the 6 o'clock position you still need to remove the speed sensor to drop the drive. 6 of one; half a dozen of the other. :lurk

marchyman
05-29-2009, 01:32 AM
6 of one; half a dozen of the other. :lurk

Not quite, in my (limited) experience. The gears seem quite close to the drain plug on my '05. The best I could do trying to fill at that position was to dribble the gear oil into the drive. Using my gear oil syringe with a 8-10" section of tubing on the end, on the other hand, let me fill at the speed sensor as fast as I could suck the measured amount of gear oil from beaker and push it into the drive.

I tried doing that as I though it'd be easier to put some of the oil in through the drain plug then the remainder through the abs/speed sensor. Didn't work out as planned.

cluster148
05-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Back to the original question..........

Final drive out.12GS 2005.56K

March 09

$2300 for total replacement,plus 3 week wait.

I'm 3 for 3.R1100GS,R1150 GS and R1200GS

Weary..............

Clark

cjack
05-29-2009, 03:12 AM
Not quite, in my (limited) experience. The gears seem quite close to the drain plug on my '05. The best I could do trying to fill at that position was to dribble the gear oil into the drive. Using my gear oil syringe with a 8-10" section of tubing on the end, on the other hand, let me fill at the speed sensor as fast as I could suck the measured amount of gear oil from beaker and push it into the drive.

I tried doing that as I though it'd be easier to put some of the oil in through the drain plug then the remainder through the abs/speed sensor. Didn't work out as planned.

I have always put the gear oil in thru the 9 oclock plug. I use a syringe and a piece of rubber hose that just fits so there is no leaking. On a K12S, with the drive being on the left side and the bike on the side stand, the oil didn't run out with the 220ml refill.

hlothery
05-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Appreciate all this info. I would still like to know, however, if the consensus is that, should the seepage occur, do you need to replace the seal? Or will it just stop when the amount in the FD gets down to about 180 ml?

cjack
05-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Appreciate all this info. I would still like to know, however, if the consensus is that, should the seepage occur, do you need to replace the seal? Or will it just stop when the amount in the FD gets down to about 180 ml?

My drive seeped after I refilled it with 230ml. After it lost 10 or more ml, it quiit seeping. So maybe.