PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door Opener

banjomack
05-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for connecting a garage door opener to an RT? I think if heard of ones that wire into your highbeams...but, don't know the manufacture name or any details on how hard or easy it is to install. Thanks.

mneblett
05-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for connecting a garage door opener to an RT? I think if heard of ones that wire into your highbeams...but, don't know the manufacture name or any details on how hard or easy it is to install. Thanks.www.f2ptechnologies.com I have a transmitter/receiver set on the way from them as I type this. I'll comment as soon as I have it installed.

bogthebasher
05-27-2009, 03:13 AM
www.f2ptechnologies.com I have a transmitter/receiver set on the way from them as I type this. I'll comment as soon as I have it installed.

Let us know how this works and if possible post some pics of mounting location etc:lurk ! I currently keep a regular opener in my pants pocket which I find exceedingly inconvenient and have been looking for a solution such as this.

MSPEER141575
05-27-2009, 03:00 PM
If you're the hardcore "DYI" type you can pick up one of the HOMELINK modules used in car visors for about $20 - search for "homelink visor" on Ebay.

I mounted mine in the left fairing with two push buttons right above the front power outlet.

deilenberger
05-27-2009, 04:09 PM
I've had the www.f2ptechnologies.com solution for several years now - have one transmitter on the bike and one on my convertible.

Works great, and the people are super to deal with. I had a strange intermittent with the receiver - and even though it was well out of warranty, the only question they asked was "What's the address we can ship a replacement to?"

The replacement showed up in 2 days, complete with a prepaid UPS label to ship the old one back to them.

SUPER PEOPLE - SUPER customer service!

On a scale of 1-10, they come up 11..

Highly recommended!

rthomas9620
05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
I have 2 of the Flash 2 pass units as well. Really an excellent product. Easy to install, and not visable.

mneblett
05-27-2009, 06:36 PM
If you're the hardcore "DYI" type you can pick up one of the HOMELINK modules used in car visors for about $20 - search for "homelink visor" on Ebay.

I mounted mine in the left fairing with two push buttons right above the front power outlet.A good idea, but not for folks like me who have run out of programmable spaces on their existing opener. The Flash2Pass unit will allow me to add on additonal units without replacing the opener unit.

websterize
05-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Here's video of a low-tech BMW garage door opener:

http://bit.ly/R12Rgarageopener

beemergirl
05-27-2009, 11:44 PM
I have one of these on every motorcycle key ring. Works great and no mounting.

http://www.expressgarage.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5009482&showprevnext=1

(sorry I couldn't copy the photo)

DXMENON
05-28-2009, 02:30 AM

(sorry I couldn't copy the photo)

Beemergirl, is your remote waterproof? has it gotten wet?

beemergirl
05-28-2009, 03:51 AM
Beemergirl, is your remote waterproof? has it gotten wet?

Good question, I don't know if it's supposed to be waterproof but they've been in plenty of rain and downpours and I've never had a problem....never even considered waterproofness, it just always works. Been using the same ones for over 2 years.

Answer won't impress everyone but for about 15 bucks they are replaceable.

Paul_F
05-28-2009, 10:19 AM
I use the same one as beemergirl. It works in the rain for me. (Although I would prefer to be able to open the door as I come down the street with the flash of the headlamp. That would keep both hands on the handlebars.)

hlothery
05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Since I do not have a radio on my RT, I use the little area on the right front next to the tank for storage. I have a small maglite in the clip on the lid. I put some velcro around the shaft of the maglite, and on the inside of the garage door opener clip, and clip it on the maglite. This works great. All I have to do is open the little door and there it is. It stays in the waterproof storage area until I need it. REAL low-tech!:laugh

darrylri
05-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I've got a Genie garage door opener and a Multi Code gate operator that I want to be able to open with a single remote. These openers are all old fashioned types with fixed codes but of different lengths and on different frequencies. No rolling codes or other new fangled technology.

There used to be a Clicker remote that would open three different units and was small. I bought these for the cars and one for my jacket many years ago. (I have several bikes and so it makes more sense to just carry the remote than to permanently mount it on the bikes.)

Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever, and the weak spot on these seems to be the buttons, which eventually crack and break. Meanwhile, Chamberlain bought Clicker and stopped making these remotes. I can't find anything reasonable out there to deal with this. (I looked at the site mentioned above and can't find suitable remote in there.)

Anyone have any great solutions for me??

hlothery
05-28-2009, 01:36 PM

Homelink would work great. I have used mine on two different garage doors, and on a gate at my son's apartment complex.

beemergirl
05-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I've got a Genie garage door opener and a Multi Code gate operator that I want to be able to open with a single remote. These openers are all old fashioned types with fixed codes but of different lengths and on different frequencies. No rolling codes or other new fangled technology.

There used to be a Clicker remote that would open three different units and was small. I bought these for the cars and one for my jacket many years ago. (I have several bikes and so it makes more sense to just carry the remote than to permanently mount it on the bikes.)

Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever, and the weak spot on these seems to be the buttons, which eventually crack and break. Meanwhile, Chamberlain bought Clicker and stopped making these remotes. I can't find anything reasonable out there to deal with this. (I looked at the site mentioned above and can't find suitable remote in there.)

Darryl,

I actually have the same problem....that key fob remote won't open my gate and I have to stop at the gate and manually put the code in. It's also an older fixed code remote. I've yet to find anything better than the gate remotes I have....which I doubt are waterproof too. If I ever get tired of stopping at the gate I'm thinking I'd laminate/seal a remote then velcro it to the dash.
But for now I like that the key fob one goes with me...I wouldn't want to leave the remote on the dash.

rthomas9620
05-28-2009, 02:02 PM
The Flash 2 Pass unit will work on any garage door opener. The receiver replaces your button in the garage (it has a manual button as well). The transmitter is wired into your headlight high beam circuit. I put mine in the headlight shell.

You simply pull up to the garage and flash your high beams twice.

I used to use a small remote, but it was always a hassle remembering which pocket it was in.

Tom K.
05-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Since I do not have a radio on my RT, I use the little area on the right front next to the tank for storage. I have a small maglite in the clip on the lid. I put some velcro around the shaft of the maglite, and on the inside of the garage door opener clip, and clip it on the maglite. This works great. All I have to do is open the little door and there it is. It stays in the waterproof storage area until I need it. REAL low-tech!:laugh

Same solution, except that being too lazy to velcro, I simply put the opener in front of the compartment so the maglite doesn't hit it. But since having to open the compartment and remove the opener is a bit of a pain, I thank Nancy for her link.

Tom

PlaneGeek
05-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Good question, I don't know if it's supposed to be waterproof but they've been in plenty of rain and downpours and I've never had a problem....never even considered waterproofness, it just always works. Been using the same ones for over 2 years.

Answer won't impress everyone but for about 15 bucks they are replaceable.

+1 on the key chain remote. I've lost one to heavy rains. Since then I just check the radar before I head home. If I see any yellow on the returns then I just toss it in my pocket. But in light to moderate rain if you don't get stuck in slow traffic it remains pretty protected on my RT. Easy to use with gloves on I might add.

websterize
05-28-2009, 09:58 PM

I also use the Liftmaster keyring remote, and it works great. No problems in light rain.

SilverRT
06-01-2009, 03:39 AM
I've been using an Autoswitch Garage door opener (AS-5G2). CycleGadgets sells them for $30 (same prices as two years ago). They are made by Antenna World and require wiring into your garage door opener and are triggered by the high beams. They come with a pre-wired LED to show you that the unit is working. The relay is small and I've stuck mine to the side air box. I mounted the garage door opener in the tail of the the RT.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=ASG

I turned the garage door opener over and made a mount to fit over the alarm. This allowed me to install the fuse block and Autocom back there as well.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd221/mgnksn/BMW%20R1200RT/2008_12190033.jpg

mneblett
06-01-2009, 05:35 AM
The Flash 2 Pass unit will work on any garage door opener. The receiver replaces your button in the garage (it has a manual button as well). The transmitter is wired into your headlight high beam circuit. I put mine in the headlight shell.

You simply pull up to the garage and flash your high beams twice.I can confirm that this is a *very* easy install, as I've received the F2P package and installed it on SWMBO's R1150GS.

As I noted above, this unit is a boon to those of us that have already used up all the available wireless fob "slots" in the existing garage door opener's receiver, as it is hard-wired (piggybacks) to the wall switch's terminals on the opener. In my case, it was just plug in the two wires from the F2P wall unit into the opener, screw the F2P wall unit base to the wall, and install the transmitter on the GS -- instant "it works."

Note: I didn't want to use the high beam as the trigger, so I'm going a different route with the GS (and the R12RT when a second transmitter arrives). From a prior garage door opener installation on the GS, there was already a microswitch installed in the dash. Because the F2P transmitter is obviously triggered by two 12V+ pulses, I tapped an instrument cluster light's wires -- 12V+ wire to one side of the dash microswitch, the other side of the microswitch to one wire of the F2P transmitter, and the other wire of the F2P transmitter to the instrument light's ground wire. Two taps on the switch send the required 12V+ pulses to the transmitter, and the garage door responds.

I'll be doing something similar with the RT. Because I don't want to add more holes to the bike than I need to, I'm currently awaiting the parts for the light switches and housing that mounts inboard of the right handlebar grip. Once these are in hand, I'll find a suitable 12V+ source and wire one of the new switches to the F2P transmitter (but probably pick an unswitched power source, which will permit door operation without having to turn on the bike). Then I'll figure out what farkle I need to add to make use of the other switch in the housing. :D

darrylri
06-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Darryl,

I actually have the same problem....that key fob remote won't open my gate and I have to stop at the gate and manually put the code in. It's also an older fixed code remote. I've yet to find anything better than the gate remotes I have....which I doubt are waterproof too. If I ever get tired of stopping at the gate I'm thinking I'd laminate/seal a remote then velcro it to the dash.
But for now I like that the key fob one goes with me...I wouldn't want to leave the remote on the dash.

The other thing about my situation, and which seems to make the F2P unit less useful, is that I have 5 bikes that I routinely ride. I need something I can carry in my jacket rather than something mounted to the bike. Furthermore, 3 of the five bikes have 6 volt systems, so that eliminates anything that needs 12V power...