PDA

View Full Version : Ops Checked my fuel gauge

B1Pilot
05-26-2009, 10:36 PM
In the air force, we call it 'ops checking' when you go out and prove why a certain limit is in place, usually foolishly.

Well I did that today with my RT and gas... I think I made it about 5 miles past the 0 mile point on the BC.

That put me about a mile from the nearest gas station. The RT sure is a lot more bike to push than my k75 was :doh. Rocking the bike to slosh gas into the pump got me about 2 more quick starts and enough oomph to coast into the station. Interestingly, though I filled it to what I thought was the max, it only took 6.645 US gal... thought the tank was a 7.1

Lesson learned:

respect the fuel gauge

Semper_Fi
05-27-2009, 01:16 AM
I've gone 12 miles past 0 and still was rolling - gas gauge is useless - use odometer more reliable

marchyman
05-27-2009, 03:35 AM
I've gone 12 miles past 0 and still was rolling - gas gauge is useless - use odometer more reliable

I know that is the conventional wisdom and I've likely said the exact same thing myself. But it is not correct. Mileage on my GS varies from the mid 30s to the high 40s. It depends upon how the bike is packed, the elevation, the wind, and the angle of my right wrist. The best I've got was near 250 miles on a tank. The worst was 180. I'm including the "reserve" in those numbers.

When you're running down the road, expecting to get the typical 200 + some margin of reserve and the bike tells you (correctly) that you've got 30 miles of gas left with only 140 on the odometer you are quite happy that your gas gauge works. Especially when the next gas station is 40 miles away. Slowing down a LOT stretched that 30 miles of gas to cover the 40 miles needed. I put more than the rated 5.2 gallons of gas into the bike that day.

I don't mind a gas gauge that says I'm empty when I've still got a bit. I don't like it if it say I've got a quarter tank when I know it's somewhat less (but now how much less).

mpmarty
05-27-2009, 05:21 AM
I'm really anal about fuel. I will only use the 92+ octane and then only from Chevron stations or in a pinch Exxon. I can only seem to ride for about two hundred and fifty miles at a stretch and then need to take a break. That's when I fill the tank again. Around town when the tank gets below half I just wander into the station and fill it up. It doesn't really cost any more and I don't worry about condensation or wonder if I can take an impromptu run to a restaurant a couple of hundred miles away.:eat

Semper_Fi
05-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I know that is the conventional wisdom and I've likely said the exact same thing myself. But it is not correct. Mileage on my GS varies from the mid 30s to the high 40s. It depends upon how the bike is packed, the elevation, the wind, and the angle of my right wrist. The best I've got was near 250 miles on a tank. The worst was 180. I'm including the "reserve" in those numbers.

When you're running down the road, expecting to get the typical 200 + some margin of reserve and the bike tells you (correctly) that you've got 30 miles of gas left with only 140 on the odometer you are quite happy that your gas gauge works. Especially when the next gas station is 40 miles away. Slowing down a LOT stretched that 30 miles of gas to cover the 40 miles needed. I put more than the rated 5.2 gallons of gas into the bike that day.

I don't mind a gas gauge that says I'm empty when I've still got a bit. I don't like it if it say I've got a quarter tank when I know it's somewhat less (but now how much less).

Fully appreciate your comments and i have seen your other commentaries on the subject.

Not to beat a dead horse - but after mine is filled up and i go 25 miles it shows 3/4 - what's up with that.

Yes i have had it recalibrated and it is better - do i want to go back and have them change out the fuel strip - no not worth my time - unless it fails.

So what i do is when it shows 1/4 left i fill up - i have a mix of highway and city.

and as the saying goes Your Milage May Vary!! :usa

RandyW
05-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Old Navy aircrew...Glad we never "ops checked" our fuel remainder. I like to swim but prefer it in a pool :lol .

Learned from an old Jeep I have with a wildly inaccurate gas gauge, that finally quit all together, to never trust a gas gauge. I just figure out the tanks capacity, then drop a couple of gallons off that. Figure out my worst mileage and go with the results as my "no go past" point. My GSA gets anything from low 30's to mid 40's and the gauge seems to drop quicker when getting past half full than it does for the first half, so I do the same routine with it. I just reset one of the trip odo's when I fill up, or look for a station when the bars get to half full. So far no pushing needed.

RT3MPC
05-27-2009, 08:31 PM
I am on my 3rd gage for my 07-RT and it is due to be replaced, again. Check the odometer to be safe. I have been left on the side of the road with it reading half full.

Madhatter
05-27-2009, 10:44 PM
My fuel gauge has been pretty reliable, if anything it reads on the empty side, but I use the Trip 1 odometer to keep track as a back-up.

Polarbear
05-28-2009, 12:54 AM
One fuel strip replaced as the first one failed to read the middle range of fuel in the tank(25000 miles this was done). All said, its beed dead on accurate, compared to the odometer and BC. I've got 390 at best on a tank and it ranges to just over 300, with throttle and speed variances. It holds 9 gallons, as i have put it in there. I think the book says 8. something, very near 9g's. Chevron mostly and have found recently the 92 octane is not needed and it runs on regular just fine and my current tank is at 48mpg's, with regular in there:). I'm a bit surprised, but its true:), Randy:usa

james
05-29-2009, 02:40 PM
B-1 what year is your bike? I have been following the fuel threads with some interest and have seen posts over other boards with varying amounts of fuel remaining when the BC reads ---. I do not like the idea of running out of fuel, but I would like some idea of when Burn Out (helicopter pilot term for the thing just ran out of JP-4) will occur. I know I can carry some fuel and run it until it quits, but that is hard on the fuel pump and not something that I want to intentionally do.

I can not find the post that stated the fuel quantity of the red tank was less than the black tank. My 09 has the red tank and when I ran it down to ÔÇô and 2 miles past that I was able to put 6.3 gals in, which brought it to the bottom of the filler neck on the side stand. Prior to re fueling I looked into the tank and could not see any fuel. I also tried rocking the bike left and right and for and aft and could not see any fuel nor could I hear it sloshing around. I know the design of the tank is optimized for maximum fuel storage, but I still figured I could hear some fuel slosh around.

My point is, could it be possible that the newer tank has a reduced capacity and the computer could be reading accurately on the 09s.

Jim in GA

Motorwerk
05-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Jim,

From what I understand the '09's don't have a fuel strip sensor that's causing so much issue with previous models. Apparently, they are now using a float-type device so hopefully you will not suffer the same consequences as the rest of us.

henzilla
05-29-2009, 09:42 PM
I have run my '09 GSA down past 0 a few occasions, not to check, just that far from a gas station that was open. However, yesterday I was 3 miles on the display and 2 miles from a fuel stop when it sputtered in a turn then ran for about another half mile before flame out. Luckily I had the spare fuel bottle I carry for everyone else:doh poured it in and made the fuel stop.
I have to laugh since it holds 9 gallons and I have no excuse for running that low yesterday. Pushing it a mile and change yesterday was not a good prospect:laugh
I did run it pretty hard up until the warning light came on and stayed easy on the throttle as I knew I was real close to making it and I was on some desolate farm roads. The computer just did not catch up or I would have poured the bottle in a little sooner. I started the day with a 42MPG display, ended with a 39 at fillup.

professor
06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I ran my 07 R1200RT to 0 on the guage and it took about 6 gallons to fill so I'm making the assumption - yes I know what assume means - that there is still about a gallon in my 7.1 gallon tank.

The weird part on my guage is that after a fill-up, the graph part moves up toward the top, but the numbers will tell me I only have about 120 miles or so left. Then after I ride 10 or 20 miles, it will tell me I have 140 or so miles left. I have to ride probably 50 or 60 miles before the numbers tell me that I have over 200 miles left - usually it will say something between 250 and 270. Very strange.

06-12-2009, 12:31 PM
So, is that how you guys came to land at this "undisclosed location" in the Hindu Kush?

Thanks for the overhead, from a former RED HORSE ground-pounder :thumb

B1Pilot
06-13-2009, 09:55 PM
hehe... this is one of my best friends in the world flying this one...

they had a power transfer shaft (takes jet engine power and converts it to a generator for aircraft electrical power) shear on them and it ripped through the engine itself... causing fire.

he was working with special forces team who was underfire at the time, and dropped one more bomb for them, then emergency landed on fire...

bad guys kept trying to mortar the bird (its a big targets) so they flew it out of there on 3 engines.

06-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks B1 Pilot,

I'm not surprised you know him, as the more specialized units in the AF become small worlds. I'm sure the "bearded warriors" appreciated his stick-to-it-iveness.

(I'm an old fashioned land-nav kind of guy, but for those of you out there touring by GPS, now you know what it's really intended for; putting bombs on target.) :thumb

tyler73
06-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Jim,

From what I understand the '09's don't have a fuel strip sensor that's causing so much issue with previous models. Apparently, they are now using a float-type device so hopefully you will not suffer the same consequences as the rest of us.

09 GSA here...

From what I've experienced the fuel sensor is the same as prior years. I've had it change from 2 bars up to fuel making an emergency swerve to avoid debris. Didn't reset until I filled the tank. Not even after multiple short trips turning the bike off and restarting.

Only happened once and I don't place 100% faith in the gauge anyway. No worry bead necessary.