PDA

View Full Version : Is a little surge normal?

banjomack
05-24-2009, 01:36 AM
I have a (new to me) 2005 R1200RT and I've noticed that when I shift gears (any gear below 4th) there is a slight surge. I've tried easing off the throttle as well as giving it a little juice, but the slight acceleration subsists. It could very well be me simply being new to the bike. Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

dmilan
05-24-2009, 11:22 AM
I have a (new to me) 2005 R1200RT and I've noticed that when I shift gears (any gear below 4th) there is a slight surge. I've tried easing off the throttle as well as giving it a little juice, but the slight acceleration subsists. It could very well be me simply being new to the bike. Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

Don't say surge!!!
Bad mojo.

When you say "surge" many recall a condition that their 1100 and 1150 had.
For me, on my departed '02 R1150 RT, surge meant that at low speed with the throttle held steady, say 2-3rd gear 35-40 mph, the bike would act as if you were twitching the throtttle slightly, open and closed.

Made the bike very uinpleasent to ride at those speeds.

Heard many explanations. O2 sensor/fueling computer trying to get exhaust emissions correct for US /Canada mandates, inprecise valve adjust/ throttle body sync, riders fault for not flogging it every moment of the ride.

Anyway.. the condition you describe sounds as if the throttle isn't closing when you relaease between shifts. Do the throttles bodies snap closed when twisting then releasing with the engine off?
Sounds like you are saying that it has run-on. Never really heard of that condition reported on R1200 series.

Could just be "new bike with new characteristics. From your list looks like you've had a few other brands.

I've had more than a few BMW since 2002. An R1150, R1200, K1200 I, K1200 II. They certainly do have characteristics.

Dmilan

banjomack
05-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Don't say surge!!!
Bad mojo.

When you say "surge" many recall a condition that their 1100 and 1150 had.
For me, on my departed '02 R1150 RT, surge meant that at low speed with the throttle held steady, say 2-3rd gear 35-40 mph, the bike would act as if you were twitching the throtttle slightly, open and closed.

Made the bike very uinpleasent to ride at those speeds.

Heard many explanations. O2 sensor/fueling computer trying to get exhaust emissions correct for US /Canada mandates, inprecise valve adjust/ throttle body sync, riders fault for not flogging it every moment of the ride.

Anyway.. the condition you describe sounds as if the throttle isn't closing when you relaease between shifts. Do the throttles bodies snap closed when twisting then releasing with the engine off?
Sounds like you are saying that it has run-on. Never really heard of that condition reported on R1200 series.

Could just be "new bike with new characteristics. From your list looks like you've had a few other brands.

I've had more than a few BMW since 2002. An R1150, R1200, K1200 I, K1200 II. They certainly do have characteristics.

Dmilan

Thanks Dmilan, I won't use the "S" word anymore. Yes, the throttle body does snap shut when I release the grip. I think it's probably just my getting used to the bike and nothing to worry about.

Tom K.
05-24-2009, 03:38 PM
While the hexheads don't have a surging problem, you may be noticing what Motorcycle Consumer News described as the "abrupt on/off behavior of the fuel injection below 4000 RPM". It is easily mitigated by adopting a very smooth throttle technique.

And as Dmilan said, BMWs have "character"!

Tom

banjomack
05-24-2009, 11:06 PM
While the hexheads don't have a surging problem, you may be noticing what Motorcycle Consumer News described as the "abrupt on/off behavior of the fuel injection below 4000 RPM". It is easily mitigated by adopting a very smooth throttle technique.

And as Dmilan said, BMWs have "character"!

Tom

Thanks Tom. I think your exactly right. I just need to work on my technique.

Tom K.
05-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks Tom. I think your exactly right. I just need to work on my technique.
You're welcome. Just remember it's not that your technique is necessarily wrong, it's just that BMWs require some rider adjustment - which is usually worth the trouble.

One caveat however, be especially aware that due to this idiosyncrasy, your passenger may tend to slide into you when you roll off the throttle 'til you get it right - it happens to all of us at first.

Enjoy your hexhead!

Tom