PDA

View Full Version : Electrical dilemma

hlothery
05-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Have an 05 RT. Just replaced my Navigator II with a new Zumo 550. Have a Baehr intercom, and have plugged the Zumo into it for helmet access to MP3 and Navigation, as I had been doing with the Navigator II. Used the power outlet next to the steering head which I was formerly using with the Navigator II unit for switched power. Love the unit, but I am picking up electical ignition interference and static in my headphones now, which I never had with the Navigator II. I may be able to tune some of this out with the adjustments on the Baehr unit, haven't had time to try yet. Do you electrical guys think I would get less interference if I wired directly on a fused link to the battery? Is there another way to suppress the electrical interference from the ignition?

TIA.

Motorwerk
05-21-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't have a Baehr unit so I'm not familiar but how is the unit grounded? Best place would be direct to the battery. Try to isolate the interference by by-passing the intercom and connecting directly to the Zumo to verify the cause.

Once you determine it's the intercom double-check all the connections for corrosion or poor connection. Do you have an isolation cable between the Zumo and the Baehr?

Also, try moving the wires around. Try to keep them run along the frame as this prevents them from picking up stray EMI.

hlothery
05-21-2009, 06:15 PM
thanks for the input. The Baehr is grounded to the battery. It works perfectly, without any interference. When I turn the Zumo on is when the problem starts. The cable connecting them is a Baehr cable with some sort of knob in the middle which I assume is and isolation device of some kind. I'll try rerouting the wires, and wire it directly to the battery, and see if that fixes the problem.

andrewsi
05-21-2009, 08:53 PM
You could also try getting one of those ferrite cores from Radio Shack that snaps around the cable (if there isn't one on it already) and place it as close as possible to the Baehr unit - that might squelch the noise too if the wire is acting like an antenna for electric noise. Of course, that might be what the "knob" is...