PDA

View Full Version : Ohlins for touring GS?

Glenfiddich
05-21-2009, 01:57 AM
I've read a lot of threads on the benefits of Ohlins, Wilbers, etc, but most of the GS riders who go that way seem to be more dirt oriented than me. While I live on a dirt road and ride some seriously winter-damaged pavement here in Vermont, I'd estimate that I'm on decent pavement 80% of the time. I also do a few weekend runs to NY/PA, and one two-weeker per year that might cover 4k miles, generally on pavement.

Would a rider like me even notice a difference running aftermarket shocks tailored to my weight?

TIA, Pete

marchyman
05-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Probably. For one thing freeway expansion joints will be less jarring and the bike will feel planted. That was true for my RT as well as my GS.

deilenberger
05-21-2009, 03:11 AM
If the shocks are setup correctly for you - a resounding yes. They will be one of the most noticeable things you can do to improve a BMW.

pffog
05-21-2009, 11:41 AM
If the shocks are setup correctly for you - a resounding yes. They will be one of the most noticeable things you can do to improve a BMW.

What he said, especially in the north east, where the roads can be in pretty bad shape 90% of the time. Best $$ you will spend improving the bike.

podsobinski
05-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Very true, premium aftermarket shocks will improve the handling of you bike. But does it justify $1,500 worth of improvement. My advice, get those premium shocks when yours goes out in 30,000 or more miles. Unless you have money to burn replace them now and you'll only get a few hundred for the stock ones. More statis then substance unless your a super rider or racer.

gpodzo

1200 GSA
DR650

Polarbear
05-23-2009, 01:22 AM
I've had two GS bikes with Ohlins and have not done it again on my current GSA1200, because its just TOO expensive. The stock shocks on mine are still quite good at 30000 miles and I won't change out until I feel the need. BMW still makes the best, or one of the best handling bikes available, without adding thousands of $$$ in these kind of things. Its an improvement, I do not disagree, but to what end I say. Most of us ride within boundaries, that suggest the 1500$ shocks are overkill. I do both, extensively, on and off road with my GSA1200 and its getting a beating in many cases. The stockers are still doing a fine job for me and I've been there, done that shock $$$ thing:). Randy...PS; buy'em if money is burning a hole in yur pocket:)

deilenberger
05-23-2009, 02:46 AM
For those of us above the median age of BMW riders - who may have some back problems (like disappearing disks) - the improvement in ride quality means we can keep riding, or ride further/longer.

To me - that's worth every penny. Bike isn't any value to me at all if I can't ride it. So again my answer to the OP is - yes. You'll notice the difference.