PDA

View Full Version : How to Lower an R1200RT

banjomack
05-19-2009, 05:04 PM
What's the best way to lower an R1200RT. My bike is about 32 and 1/2" now and I'm on my tip toes when stopped. It's not all that bad so, I can tolerate it, but would be more comfortable with both feet on the ground. I know I can change the seat, but this bike has very nice Rick Mayer leather seats that I really like. So, is there another way to lower the bike other than changing the seat? Thanks!

ojhengen
05-19-2009, 05:11 PM
If you don't mind spending a grand or so, your dealer (or another shop) can install shorter shocks. I'm told by them that you can lower the bike about an inch without changing or modifiying the side stand. I can't vouch for that, though. If you look around on other posts, you will find several recommendations for shocks.

CarolinaRT
05-19-2009, 05:55 PM
I have a low seat and a regular. The cardio-surgeon that sold me the bike was about 5'6". He gave me both seats, and I will never use the low seat. It's yours if you cover the shipping. Might be worth a try.
Eric

banjomack
05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
I have a low seat and a regular. The cardio-surgeon that sold me the bike was about 5'6". He gave me both seats, and I will never use the low seat. It's yours if you cover the shipping. Might be worth a try.
Eric

Man that sounds like a good deal, but I like my current seats. I do appreciate the offer though. I guess if I like the current Rick Mayer seats so much that only leaves me with the lowering kit option OR to simply get used to the current seat height.

akbeemer
05-19-2009, 11:35 PM
The lower seat offered by BMW is a butt killer. I tried one on my bike for a few days courtesy of my dealer. You can accomplish the same thing by just gutting all the padding out of the OEM standard seat. It also made me feel like I was sitting in a bucket with my feet jammed up against my posterior. I cannot think of one positive thing to say about the BMW low seat. Perhaps there are others who have had a satisfactory experience with it, but I have not met them.

xtek95
05-20-2009, 12:48 AM
EricBell....you have private msg from me.

CarolinaRT
05-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Man that sounds like a good deal, but I like my current seats. I do appreciate the offer though. I guess if I like the current Rick Mayer seats so much that only leaves me with the lowering kit option OR to simply get used to the current seat height.

It was worth a try and good luck! Another member took me up on the offer and the seat will go to good use.

Tom K.
05-20-2009, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=AKBeemer;459560The lower seat offered by BMW is a butt killer. I cannot think of one positive thing to say about the BMW low seat. Perhaps there are others who have had a satisfactory experience with it, but I have not met them.[/QUOTE]

My positive experience with the low seat involved sending it to Rick Mayer. I now have a super comfortable, great looking, OEM heated leather seat and it is the original low seat height.

Tom

Artiee
05-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I didn't see this mentioned but look under your front seat. Attached up by the base of the fuel tank is a duel position mount which supports the front edge of the seat. You can move the bar (looks like a miniature dumbbell) to either the high or low position.

That will adjust the height about one inch.