PDA

View Full Version : Lowering '09 RT brake pedal to match lowered pegs.

andrewsi
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
I've got the Suburban peg lowering kit on my bike and would like to lower the shifter and the brake pedal to be more like the stock position, since both are now too "high."

Doing the shifter should be cake as soon as I get the right female Torx socket, so that I can loosen the shifter off the splines and rotate it a few notches down. The brake pedal, though, gives me a little more pause.

I can see that I need to lengthen the stop screw at the front of the brake pedal so that it "stops" at a lower position, but I think once that's done then I need to readjust the rod at the back so that the engagement point of the brakes remains unchanged. Looks like I need to loosen the bottom nut on the rod and then turn the threaded rod to compensate for the extended stop screw. (I've got an '07 Reprom disc which outlines the procedure.) Any more to it than that? Anyone else made this change and have any tips?

Tom K.
05-19-2009, 04:52 PM
I've had the lowered pegs on mine for about 3 years and haven't felt the need to adjust the brake pedal - probably because I use it very rarely. Don't forget that the lever provides braking for both front and rear, so adding the pedal will override the F/R proportioning and bias the braking to the rear. So I only use the rear on gravel or slow downhill turns when I don't want any front braking. As far as the shift lever, it took about one week to adjust to the new position and now it feels quite natural - but I can understand wanting to fine tune it.
Tom

andrewsi
05-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm well aware of the semi-linked braking system and its implications, but I still prefer to use both, for a few reasons:

a) I find that a little bit of extra rear brake pressure will still stop me more quickly and comfortably than relying entirely on the linked ratio to do it for me if I need the extra oomph.
b) There are plenty of bikes out there (i.e. rentals in faraway places) that don't have the awesome brakes of the RT and I don't like the idea of getting out of the mental habit of using both for the times when I'm not on my own bike.
c) I just like tweaking my bike. :-)

andrewsi
05-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Ok, well, adjusting both was indeed completely simple. Loosened the locking nuts, extended the stop screw on the brake pedal, twirled the rod "in" a bit to shorten it up, made some minor adjustments to keep the recommended amount of play, and tightened up the nuts again. Even put sealing lacquer on the rod as recommended. :-)

And once I got hold of a torx socket, moving the shift lever down a notch or two was even simpler... The new positions are much more to my liking.