PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter for Adventure

podsobinski
05-18-2009, 02:46 PM
With 7,400 miles I thought I might check the air filter and possibly put a K & N in there. I found out were the filter is.. . in front of the battery but not sure how to get to it? Any help, pictures, what I have to take off to get to it?

gpodzo

henzilla
05-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Take the side panel loose that covers the rear of tank. The snorkel is held to the airbox by two clips. Carefully push the tail end of those clips and push them outward with a flat screwdriver. The clips do not come all the way out! When they stop that is it. The snorkel has a grommet near the intake, and you have to pull the large end out as you unsnap the grommet. It takes a bit of wrangling to get the filter out and the snorkle back in...be patient

Release both retaining clips (1) and remove.

Remove intake air pipe (2).

Pinch the old filter element together at the top in the air filter housing and pull it out.

As a side note, do a search on K&N filter threads...I used to use them, but just stick to stock. Some swear by them, so not a slam...just like the paper throwaways better for my app...and BeemerBoneyard has some good prices on Mann filters( not a salesman!)

podsobinski
05-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Henzilla, for the great reply. I had time to cut my lawn and check again. Wow, good directions and wonderful picture. That is exactly the picture and directions I needed. Glad I didn't try it myself or I might have gotten frustrated. What is it about BMW's and their tricky air filters anyway. I had a '02 GS and it was always a chore to wiggle it into place. I did use a K & N after the first maintenance and seemed to work okay, sold it with 90,000 so it did save money. But maybe the forum will help make my decision.

Gpodzo

henzilla
05-18-2009, 04:08 PM
You're welcome, I have seen many of those clips broken at the tab! I used K&N's on a lot of 4 wheeled vehicles for years and in my HD's & on the RT for a year or so. I just go down so many dusty/sandy roads on the GS that I was cleaning mine a lot anyways. As I see it, whatever works for your peace of mind. Kind of like oil threads anyways:laugh

podsobinski
05-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Checked the filter and it was fine. Just a little discolored at the bottom. I got a few bugs out and tapped out some sand and put it back upsidedown. Just ordered and K&N and a couple of oil filters. Another 6 years and 83,000 miles and I will be a shade tree mechanic for the '08 GSA. Thanks again, it made me a happy little buddy. Now after Road Runners Rally and 1,400 miles I got to get the bugs off everything.

gpodzo