PDA

View Full Version : The "Sweet Spot"

tronic5
05-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Seems to me that my almost new 08 1200 RT with 7000 Km has clutch contact that's very close to the end of the leaver's travel. there also doesn't seem to be any "free play" at the clutch leaver's end. My concern is that there is a pre-mature wearing of the clutch plates . I have no symptoms of "slipping".
Is this a normal setting with this bike?

PGlaves
05-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Warranty - see your dealer!

sailorlite
05-17-2009, 03:44 PM
On my '08 the clutch seems to engage and disengage somewhere in the middle of the lever's travel, and it seems about like every other clutch in that regard. If yours seems abnormal to you, it probably is. And I don't know whether adjusting the lever range, as per the owner's manual, would make any difference. (It's just about inconceivable that the clutch itself is worn to that extent).

Maybe returning it to the dealer isn't very convenient for you, but you could compare it there to other RT's to see if you need a (warranty) repair.

racer7
05-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Any "excessive travel" situation needs a look for the cause.

One simple possibility is that the hydraulic clutch system has an air bubble due to too little fluid in the reservoir or a leak. The cure for both possibilities is the same - bleed and inspect for leaks, correct any leaks found. Who's touched your clutch system recently - any chance of sloppy work???

Any chance of visible leaks at the reservoir cover (doesn't seem likely)??

With some luck it stays that simple....

The RT clutch is the first one its type I've owned, having had Japanese bikes previously.
It breaks in differently from others and isn't all the friendly when new but the small amount of wear that should happen in 7000 kM shouldn't be having a big impact on lever travel.
(The whole bike seems to break in slowly compared to the Japanese machines I've owned - at 4K miles my 08 RT tranny is beginning to get smooth but the engine isn't fully seated, yet - looks like it will take 12K before I can switch over to synthetics)

Get it corrected before you run out of "usable lever" entirely, a nuisance......