53.44 mpg... darn good mpg
Excellent distance on a tankfull too.
I don't live for mpg... but I appreciate decent mpg

Two of the things I like about my RT

That's all...
dmilan

bogthebasher
05-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Just an added bonus to a damn fine machine that pulls like a mule no matter the condition. What's not to love!

:heart

Dutchman
05-16-2009, 05:18 AM
On recent trip on my '08 RT, the odo read 899 miles & the satnav 906 which is less than 1% error (assuming you subscribe to the view that GPS is much more accurate than the bike odo....?).

I'm regularly getting 55-58 mpg.

dmilan
05-16-2009, 01:32 PM
On recent trip on my '08 RT, the odo read 899 miles & the satnav 906 which is less than 1% error (assuming you subscribe to the view that GPS is much more accurate than the bike odo....?).

I'm regularly getting 55-58 mpg.

Don't believe that my '05 RTs speedo is that accurate
MC magazines have often, over the years shown BMW speedos to be optimistic.
Motorcycles in general really.

I had checked mine against my ZUMO last October when I rode the bike home to Cleveland OH from purchase in Vermont.
As I recall 65 mph on the dial = 61~ 62 mph actual.
I'll check it again sometime.

In any case... very good mpg and range.

My departed '04 K12GT was pressed to achieve 44~45ish for a 225ish range.

My departed '08 K12GT II was similar to the '04s mpg. Larger tank, slightly better range , maybe 260ish .

Dmilan

beemergirl
05-16-2009, 06:04 PM
During a recent group SS 1K ride, odometers varied by 42 miles for people riding in the same small group, same exact ride. My RT showed one of the lowest mileages for the same route. Different brands, mostly non-BMW.

My Zumo 550 showed 20 miles more than my odometer (on the 1000 mile ride).

marchyman
05-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Don't believe that my '05 RTs speedo is that accurate
MC magazines have often, over the years shown BMW speedos to be optimistic.
Motorcycles in general really.

Don't guess, measure. The speedos on the hexheads seem to be much better in terms of accuracy than those on earlier models. My LT read high, at the BMW limit of 10% + 2 MPH. My R1150RT read about 7% high. The '05 GS, though, seems to read a constant 1 1/2 to 2 MPH higher than what my GPS tells me I'm doing (checked on long straights with a good view of the sky). Keeping the GS at 30 MPH and the GPS bounces just above 28. Keeping the GS at 70MPH has the GPS bouncing just above 68.

Those hexhead riders I know who have actually checked the accuracy of their speedo have found results quite similar to mine. Maybe we've just been lucky. Maybe BMW has improved things.

This months MCN noted in the review of the K1300S (same speedo setup as the hexheads, I believe) that the speedo indicated 175 MPH where their top speed measurement was 174.5. I think they use radar to get actual speeds. Their comment was "shockingly accurate".

dmilan
05-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Don't guess, measure.

Sir, yes Sir

The speedos on the hexheads seem to be much better in terms of accuracy than those on earlier models. My LT read high, at the BMW limit of 10% + 2 MPH. My R1150RT read about 7% high. The '05 GS, though, seems to read a constant 1 1/2 to 2 MPH higher than what my GPS tells me I'm doing (checked on long straights with a good view of the sky). Keeping the GS at 30 MPH and the GPS bounces just above 28. Keeping the GS at 70MPH has the GPS bouncing just above 68.

Happen to have a copy of MCN, 9/08. Adventure Touring Comparo.
For the '08 R1200GS, speed @ 65 mph indicated = 61.1 actual

Those hexhead riders I know who have actually checked the accuracy of their speedo have found results quite similar to mine. Maybe we've just been lucky. Maybe BMW has improved things.

This months MCN noted in the review of the K1300S (same speedo setup as the hexheads, I believe) that the speedo indicated 175 MPH where their top speed measurement was 174.5. I think they use radar to get actual speeds. Their comment was "shockingly accurate".

I did see that in MCN review. Also though, I did see that, in the cycle stats performance eval, speed @65 mph indicated = 63.9
So the speedo was more accurate at 174 mph than at 65 mph

This brings a thought to my pea brain.
Just 'cause the speedo is off 5%, that doesn't mean the the odo is off 5%.
duh

Dmilan

dmilan
05-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Today, petrol filled the R1200RT

6.385 US gallons

According to the speedo... 366.9 miles
Let's say the speedo is 7% off.
Still 341.2 miles

That's all...
dmilan

Checked today with Zumo 550 GPS

Speedo = @ 70mph indicated, Zumo reads 67
ODO = @ 10 miles indicated, Zumo reads 10.2-3

366.9 miles / 6.385 USG = 57.46 MPG
I was easy on the throttle for the most part... but still, darn good mpg

Dmilan

DXMENON
05-25-2009, 12:56 AM
I have read several of these posts regarding MPG on a 1200 RT and I scratch my head as I can't get over 41MPG. I asked couple of the local RT owners what they get and they said 40 is about right. However, I keep seeing 50-55MPG and I scratch my head.

I live in FL and most of my miles are on the highway 70-80 mph according to the speedometer which should be around 65-75 actual mph.

I even did my 12K check at the local bmw dealer and I even let them know that my mileage was low because I read these posts and thought everyone was getting high mpg compared to me. I still don't get over 41 mpg.

thoughts?:scratch

billfiler
05-25-2009, 01:58 AM
I get about 44 mpg most of the time. I don't know how anyone gets 50 t0 55 anymore than I know how people get over 10,000 miles on a set of tires.

Bill
07 R1200RT
09 KLR

mpmarty
05-25-2009, 02:01 AM
DX that's because you ride a red bike. My 2006 RT is now averaging 53mpg but it is silver and grey. My 04 1150 RT got around 50 mpg also but didn't pull nearly as hard on acceleration in roll-ons. I can ride two up with full luggage including the huge top case and at a constant 75-80 mph (by my Garmin) it gets between 49 and 51 mpg.

Interesting note on gas mileage on the 1200 as opposed to the 1150 it gets great mileage in any gear. On a longish back road ride with a student rider I found myself cruising along in fourth and sometimes even in third gear and still showed 57 mpg in slow winding roads up and down through the hill country.

Spirited solo riding in triple digit land mileage drops off to around 44 to 46 mpg.

dmilan
05-25-2009, 11:45 AM
I have read several of these posts regarding MPG on a 1200 RT and I scratch my head as I can't get over 41MPG. I asked couple of the local RT owners what they get and they said 40 is about right. However, I keep seeing 50-55MPG and I scratch my head.

I live in FL and most of my miles are on the highway 70-80 mph according to the speedometer which should be around 65-75 actual mph.

I even did my 12K check at the local bmw dealer and I even let them know that my mileage was low because I read these posts and thought everyone was getting high mpg compared to me. I still don't get over 41 mpg.

Dmilan here, thread starter.

I don't know how to explain it. My calculations are honest and as accurate as I can report. Of course, top speed and agressiveness with the throttle can make a big difference. As does ratio of highway / city miles. Then there is load and aerodynamics. Bags on or off? Screen up and flat against the wind, or laid back a bit? Passenger? Groceries, gear, personal weight.... Vehicle's state of tune.
Gotta be in there somewhere.

My departed 1150RT got very good mpg also. Don't remember the figures exactly
though. Much better than my departed K1200GT or K1200GT II.

Just last Friday, I calculated another tankfull. In fact, ran it out of gas on the freeway exit ramp. Knew that I was VERY LOW. Do this once with almost every vehicle I've ever owned. Should get some counciling.
350 miles on the odo. Pumped in just over 7 gallons. STILL near 50 mpg.
That tankfull was mixed riding. Primarily highway, maybe 200 miles. But the remaining 150 was a mix, stop and go, urban, etc.I do ride conservatively. Speed limit + 5 on the highway. A few more agressive moments when the time is right. In town I shift up well b-4 4,000 rpm.

Dmilan

wezul
05-25-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm curious as to where you have been riding.
Where am I going with this?
Altitude.

henzilla
05-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm curious as to where you have been riding.
Where am I going with this?
Altitude.

I was thinking the same thing...since some folks do not fill out their profile as to where they are:stick

My RT has gotten 40MPG along the coast and 60 in the Colorado high country. My GSA is usually 5 less than the RT average.

rmeisen
05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I get about 44 mpg most of the time. I don't know how anyone gets 50 t0 55 anymore than I know how people get over 10,000 miles on a set of tires.

Bill
07 R1200RT
09 KLR

My 07 RT gets right at 51mpg. That is on mostly 55-65 MPH back country (flat) roads between Jax Fl and Atl Ga. I ride the same basic route up and back just about every weekend. I get a pretty decent distance out of my tires too. I ride conservatively, +5-10 above the limit, shift 3.5-4K. Just so you know, I'm just as stumped as to how anyone can get less than 45 mpg and wear out a set of tires in less than 10K...

Ron:scratch

Harrington
05-27-2009, 12:45 AM

I've only seen high 50s when I take off the top box, lower the windscreen, lay on the tank and lug 6th at 55 mph. I generally get around 46 for general NorCal twisty work. My mileage drops off of the map when I crank it up past 80 mph. The aero drag is a killer. I can't see anybody realistically doing over 70mph and getting into the 50s MPG.

DXMENON
05-28-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the posts. I took a ride yesterday from Sarasota FL to Ormond Beach, FL yesterday :bolt I got 44 MPH. No top box, single rider, back roads, etc.

I don't ride aggressively, but when I get on the highway to go to work, the speedo says 70-80 which is the usual speed on I75. To Harrington I believe who rides conservatively and does 55, I can't drive 55. I think Sammy Hagar said it best :laugh

I guess it is my speed and I also have a calsci windshield now which is elevated about 25% which doesn't help with the drag.....

By the way 44mpg is a record for me.

Deepak

hlothery
05-28-2009, 01:06 PM
I routinely average 51 MPG in the city, and a little more on the road. I have gotten as much as 60 MPG on the Natchez Trace at 50 MPH in 5th gear, two-up. I ride two-up a lot, and always have my system cases and my topcase on. I have gotten as low as 40 MPG while pulling my trailer. I have not noticed degradation of my mileage since installing my CalSci medium windshield.

Oh, and I always get around 11,000 miles rear and 18,000 miles front on my Pilot Roads. ( Think that answers all the questions.....Oh, 32K miles and I'm still on the original brake pads.)

I don't do anything special. But those are my numbers.

What a fantastic bike!

terryg
05-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I have a 2007 R1200RT with a Remus muffler, on the road 60 mph gives about 50 mpg, 70 mph + gives 42-44 mpg.

I think it has a lot to do with the right hand, I do wind out the 1200 every chance I get. :usa

sddinnh
05-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I have been tracking the milage so far on my 09 RT since I bought it a month ago. So far in 3000 miles, all types of driving (city, highway, etc.), windshield in varying positions (as required), and with the top box and side cases constantly installed, it's averaged 51.6 mpg with a low of 50.0 and a high of 54.8 on individual tank fulls. These are calculated numbers, not the ones off the bike computer.

Just as an "oh by the way", I always run Shell premium (no ethanol) when I can get it, but have had to run a couple of tanks of other brands thru it on occasion when I couldn't get Shell and have run at least one tank of ethanol added thru it when I gased up in Maine.

All in all, I'm quite happy with it's milage.

taran1900
05-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Today, petrol filled the R1200RT

6.385 US gallons

According to the speedo... 366.9 miles
Let's say the speedo is 7% off.
Still 341.2 miles

That's all...
dmilan

dmilan, the RT will take considerably more fuel than 6.385 gallons. I vented the filler sleave (drilled a hole in the neck) in mine way back in 2005 to allow filling past the bottom of the sleave. I then ran it nearly dry... it was sputtering as I rolled into the gas station... and proceded to put 8.1 gallons in. Since then the most I've ever run it down was 7.8 gallons. The furthest I've ever gone on a tank was 427 miles at altitude in Colorado and New Mexico. She took 7.1 gallons. Yes, the RT will hold a lot and go a LONG way on that lot.

Scott T

TourNut
05-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Taran1900, how did you drill a hole in the filler sleave without getting a spark and blowing yourself up or dropping drill hole debris into your tank ? Or is the sleave plastic and you used a no motor, hand-crank drill ?

EA0422
05-31-2009, 03:56 AM
WOW,,,,,I have never gotten any where near 40mpg. Maybe if I had both wheels on the ground I could double that number!!!!!