PDA

View Full Version : R1200R Sargent seat pillion accomodations?

PAULJR
05-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I, considering sending the seat to for the foam upgrade, can anyone tell me if the pillion accomodations are any good? None of the photo's show a good angle to tell me if my wife is going to lose any space or foam and you can't tell if it is any wider. Anyone with experience?

Paul

greenwald
05-14-2009, 01:02 PM
I, considering sending the seat to for the foam upgrade, can anyone tell me if the pillion accomodations are any good? None of the photo's show a good angle to tell me if my wife is going to lose any space or foam and you can't tell if it is any wider. Anyone with experience?

Paul

Morning Paul. I went with Sargent Seats on my R1200RT, and BOTH riders couldn't be happier! Passenger seat much more comfortable than original, according to 'she who must be pleased.'

However, I was not aware of sending in your original pan for an 'upgrade.'

Sargent makes their own seats from the pan up, and there was no need to supply my OEM's for alteration.

Something new?

rebake
05-14-2009, 01:10 PM
The stock rear seat measures 13 in at the front and 10.25 at the rear.The sarg is 13 and 12.5 at rear.It is also cupped a little so the passenger is not sliding forward.Wife does not ride alot but she likes it way better than stocker.This is on my 05 gs 1200.Ed

deilenberger
05-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Paul - since I have an R12R with the Sargent seat - I can answer your question. Mine was a "low" seat..

The stock seat bulges up on the pillion section, which to me looked a bit uncomfortable. Sort of the opposite of what was wanted. The Sargent rework (with their new foam "slug") makes the pillion into a dish shape - much more like you'd expect a seat to be.

I don't have any photos handy of mine - but if someone reminds me tonight, I'll take a few and upload them.

I find the seat to be an improvement over the BMW stock seat (and I considered the low seat one of BMW's better efforts - it wasn't immediately painful..) and since it's done on your pan the fit is excellent (unlike the competition's - Corbin's - effort.)

I recommend it - and if you don't get it customized - they will take it back and restore your old seat for a small charge. One comment - I didn't get heat installed in my seat since I was unsure if I'd like it. I regret that now (and made a seperate heat pad for warming my butt) - just a thought if you're in a seasonal climate and like to ride year round. Warm butt is very nice.

PAULJR
05-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the input, the seat is now with in transit to Sargent, I'll provide a passenger viewpoint when it comes back.

Paul