PDA

View Full Version : Lowered R1200Rt and the stands

MRGR1200RT
05-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I got my 05 r1200rt last year and decided I wasn't the average rider height as determined in Bavaria so I splurged and got a set of wilber shocks, front and rear, lowered an inch.
Now the bike fits a lot better (I'll keep it). My question is about the side stand and center stand. With the bike an inch lower, they still work but the side stand seems to me now to stand the bike upright a lot and of course the center stand is a little harder but no real problem, just drops a little harder when I take it off.
Has anyone else had their bike lowered and then had the stands modified for the new height? I just don't want this beauty to fall over.

_RockZ_
05-14-2009, 12:25 AM
hi I asked the same question and the answer I got was either cut the side stand or there is a lowered side and center stand,if you don't want to cut and weld on yours.

Semper_Fi
05-14-2009, 05:11 PM
We had my wife's R1200ST lowered.

The kickstand was shortened and welded and the Centerstand removed.

When i work on the bike i just bolt on the center-stand and remove when i am done.

jbryant53
05-16-2009, 01:33 AM
I installed a set of -40mm Hyper-Pro shocks on my 06 RT this past winter, I cut the sidestand the same -40mm, I left the center stand alone, it is somewhat taller and a little harder to get off the center stand but no big deal. I may get around to lowering the center stand but for me it really isn't much of an issue...

I love the lower RT...

bogthebasher
05-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Okay, I do have an example of a cut down centre stand that I did for my wife on her 2007 RT after installing 1.5" lowered Wilbers. It involved cutting out a section of both the down tubes, inserting a solid core into each and welding/brazing it back together with a repaint. Will try to take a picture and upload here later this weekend. Makes it really nice and she has been able to put it up on her own.

:ca